Bench Test Results: Ampking 25A 2600mAh 18650...exaggerated rating, paper ring, but a great battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

B1D1C698-38CE-4F1D-A834-90F1111CCD64.jpeg E1F1B225-718A-4C44-869D-2BD27686CBC8.jpeg F6424AEE-74BE-4C68-9E43-231EB5310F6E.jpeg F78B219B-E1B8-46F2-93A2-CF11BCEB0E38.jpeg

Bottom Line
    So frustrating that such a great cell was wrapped and rated this way.
    While this cell has an exaggerated current rating, a useless pulse/max rating, and is not from Japan as stated on the wrap, Ampking has rewrapped a fantastic performing cell. It easily beats the VTC5A and essentially performs the same as the 18650 VTC6A. The Samsung 20S still hits harder for most of a discharge at high current levels but the 20S’ lower capacity rating means that eventually this cell (and the VTC6A) will run for longer as the voltage drops.

In my opinion this is the same Taiwan cell used by the accurately rated Vapcell green 25A 2600mAh and will probably be rewrapped by other companies too. I’ll be posting more information about that Taiwan cell soon.

Unfortunately, this Ampking has a thin paper top insulating ring that Ampking should replace with a good plastic one. I strongly recommend not using this cell in any device or charger that can tear or stretch the battery’s plastic wrap at the top. Do not let eliquid, or any liquid, get on the top of this cell unless you rewrap the cell and replace the ring with a plastic one.

The four Ampking cells I tested delivered 2626mAh - 2634mAh at 500mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V. This is fantastic consistency.

This cell’s “35A-45A” rating is exaggerated and confusing. Do they mean it has a rating somewhere 35A and 45A? Or are they claiming a continuous rating of 35A and a (useless) pulse/max rating of 45A? I don’t know.

At 35A continuous though this cell reaches about the boiling point of water. This is MUCH too hot to use 35A for a rating as the cycle life of this battery would be significantly reduced. The cell that Ampking rewraps even says this in the datasheet.

At 25A continuous this cell reaches about 80°C, a common limit for many cells being run at their true rating. I am ESTIMATING this Ampking’s ratings to be 25A continuous (about 75W) and 2500mAh.

Four cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Ampking (AMPKING). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    E554A818-8036-4972-8DB4-AFBFA734BEE1.jpeg 988F1CC1-4F19-4BA6-B1A6-B99826578CE6.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    48C4482F-DF9C-4881-80B1-4534D0D96ACB.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 18.5mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 7.7Wh
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 6.0Wh

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

Ampking paid a fee to be moved to the front of the testing queue, which currently has a 10-12 week backlog. This cannot influence my test results as this is science, not a subjective review. In addition, they pay in advance, have no say about what is in this report, and I don’t care if any company never does this or donates batteries again. My reputation is a lot more important than any battery donation or fee to be moved to the front of the queue.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread