Bench Test Results: Lishen LR2170SF - 13.5A 4500mAh 21700…decent performer, has bottom vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They are not supposed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

A259D85D-839B-4C99-8315-D726FE53FE6E.jpeg 998DD67F-0C67-4C66-A1EE-BB90D4F8DCEF.jpeg 9B4BCA04-6960-4A71-9CEC-1C21A7D2AE41.jpeg C16DFAB7-1AE2-46BE-ACD4-80745B54DC37.jpeg 9AAE08C3-D964-4B6D-ACE8-89B76E01FDC4.jpeg

Test Results
    Lishen is one of the large, established cell manufacturers in China (天津力神电池股份有限公司). This is a decent performing cell, about equal in performance to the Lishen LR2170SA at 5A and 10A. If staying above about 3.2V at 10A this cell is close to the Samsung 50E3 (not 50E!) but at 5A the Molicel M50A beats it by a little. They’re all fairly close though at 5A-10A and you probably won’t see much of a performance difference between them.

The cycle life rating in the datasheet is good but I have not tested it. In addition to the top vent this cell has a bottom vent which, in my opinion, should not be blocked or pressed against hard.

The two cells I tested delivered 4500mAh and 4539mAh. This is a little bit worse than the typical consistency I’ve seen for cells from one of the larger China cell manufacturers.

Two cells were purchased for testing by me.

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    169F672C-61A8-451D-88D1-13BF441E39A8.jpeg E3C16D70-DF61-4D6F-9FF1-F146B730CB5C.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    2BE0AE7C-4B5C-4802-B210-101A2A674ADF.jpeg

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Why don't you google for "Nasa liion bottom vent" yourself? It's not that hard, you know.:glare:

Because Mooch may have Other Links that a search for "Nasa liion bottom vent" will not yield.

Something like this which I'm sure Mooch and Others would find Interesting if he/they haven't seen it already.

IEEE Xplore Full-Text PDF:

Last edited:
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Because Mooch may have Other Links that a search for "Nasa liion bottom vent" will not yield.

Something like this which I'm sure Mooch and Others would find Interesting if he/they haven't seen it already.

IEEE Xplore Full-Text PDF:

I don’t keep links but did a search and here are a few. The titles and terms they use should let you zero in on other docs fairly quickly.

Decoupling of heat generated from ejected and non-ejected contents of 18650-format lithium-ion cells using statistical methods (Journal Article) | OSTI.GOV

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20190030819/downloads/20190030819.pdf

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20190003899/downloads/20190003899.pdf

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/darcy_-_nasa_batt_workshop_2015.pdf

https://techport.nasa.gov/file/28298

In hindsight I guess I could have just posted the documents themselves that I have…oh well. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link to that IEEE doc but it only opened the first page for me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    That's strange. Here is the Source of the PDF...

Protection Devices in Commercial 18650 Lithium-Ion Batteries

It's a Good Article. Because it explains in Simple to Understand text exactly How these Protection Features work on the discussed cells.

Thanks!
    Very weird…I still can’t view more than the first page of the PDF but I can see the full web page version so I’ll be able to read it. I’ve only just scanned it so far but it looks like a very comprehensive review of the internal protection features.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    "Able to provide compelling evidence for showing both bottom vent and thicker can wall features will
    improve safety to world wide 18650 Li-ion manufacturers"

https://techport.nasa.gov/file/28298

Absolutely! Those two things can significantly reduce the chance of a side-wall rupture (which has a much greater chance of bringing neighboring cells into runaway).

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Thanks!
    Very weird…I still can’t view more than the first page of the PDF but I can see the full web page version so I’ll be able to read it. I’ve only just scanned it so far but it looks like a very comprehensive review of the internal protection features.

No Problem.

It's Good Article. Kinda a One-Stop-Shop for Information about types of Cell Protection(s).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread