• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Best attempt at a tobacco flavor so far --Full Credit to Nuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I've been trying to get a subtle sweet tobacco flavour for quite some time. Never had much luck until now. The current mix I use gives a clean, subtle taste that smells like a mix of sweet hay and Virgina tobacco. Its the first one I've made that I actually enjoy vaping with. I like it very mild so keep that in mind.

Here is the mix I use that has been tailored to my personal tastes but its easy to play with:

I will use percentages so you can mix however much you want if you're game to try it:

I mixed mine for 18mg nic but its easy to adjust.

50% PG with 36mg nic (you can use VG but I like the throat hit from PG)
1% Ethyl Maltol (gives pleasant sweet hay smell)
1 drop per 5ml of diluted tobacco absolute
2% distilled water
47% pure VG
1 (small) drop of highly concentrated menthol crystals mixture (used to clean up the flavor just a bit, does not turn it into a menthol flavor. This one can be left out if you want an earthier tasting vape)

Notes:

To create diluted tobacco absolute:

1 drop of tobacco absolute in the purest alcohol you have. I use absinthe at 70% but you vodka should work fine, even at 40%. The mix is 1 drop per 2 ml.

To create concentrated menthol mix:

I use 25% crystals ([FONT=Arial, Verdana]mentha arvensis)[/FONT] in 75% absinthe. The crystals completely dissolve this way and there is no need to warm it and no problems with crystals reforming. This stuff is extremely potent so you should mix it in any juice with extreme caution.

The best places I've found for the stuff is:

Tob. Abs
Tobacco Absolute

Ethyl Maltol
Ethyl Maltol - 2.5 ml vial

I used ebay to get the crystals. All the materials are very inexpensive.

I'm going to try adding small traces of vanilla or caramel and maybe even a hint of raspberry next to see how it goes.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Nuck!
I've been waiting on pins & needles for weeks to hear how all your original ideas for DIY would turn out..and am definitly impressed!

That was some serious DIY experimenting to get a tobacco flavor !..and even better just awesome that you've found such a simple original mix:thumb:

Thanks for sharing the ingredients, proportions and even the sites ! ...and now I'm off shopping!;)

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Nuck!
I've been waiting on pins & needles for weeks to hear how all your original ideas for DIY would turn out..and am definitly impressed!

That was some serious DIY experimenting to get a tobacco flavor !..and even better just awesome that you've found such a simple original mix:thumb:

Thanks for sharing the ingredients, proportions and even the sites ! ...and now I'm off shopping!;)

Hi Misty...not so original. I mixed up the base using the ingredients from Intellicigs new juice. Just had to play with amounts.

The base of VG, nic and ethyl maltol has a nice smell and almost no taste but gives other flavors a nice richness. Gonna go back and play with all the old flavors using it as a mixing base and see how it goes.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Just ordered the supplies. Nuck,is juicy liquid ok to use for the menthol drops?
The drops of menthol that are already ready.

Those would be much easier to use. JuicyLiquid isn't an option for us in Canada although I believe once he has just the flavour packs he will ship the non-nic products to us.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Nuck, another question. When deleting the tobacco absolute. You did not say,how much alcohol. Do you use a drop of alcohol and a drop of tobacco absolute? Little confused on how much alcohol. You said use 70% is this the proof? Or is how much you use?

I used 1 drop of tob. abs. per 2 ml.

The 70% was the alcohol content..so 140 proof. The higher the better.

You have to be really careful with the tob. abs. Too much and it ends up with an almost ashtray taste.

I'm still trying to find a way to round out the taste. Tried a bit of caramel last night but that wasn't right. There still seems to be an ingredient missing that would allow the taste of the tobacco to be strengthened without getting into the ashtray flavour.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Have you tried the vanilla yet? I am waiting on some vanilla beans to try to make my own vanilla. None of the e-liquid vanilla has got it right. None that I have found.

I agree. I still haven't found a good vanilla and would LOVE one.

I know Rob as liquidxpress is having a new vanilla created but I have no idea how well it is going. Let us know if the vanilla beans work out, I would kill for a nice vanilla.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Hi Misty...not so original. I mixed up the base using the ingredients from Intellicigs new juice. Just had to play with amounts.

The base of VG, nic and ethyl maltol has a nice smell and almost no taste but gives other flavors a nice richness. Gonna go back and play with all the old flavors using it as a mixing base and see how it goes.

Nuck, maybe not original..but you sure took the time and effort to investigate and experiment the actual proportions and preparation for the mix!..and that's worth mega in my eyes..and am sure for many of us who won't have to lug through all those hours and wasted juice trying to figure it all out..
so really appreciate!;)

Happy Jack

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nuck, maybe not original..but you sure took the time and effort to investigate and experiment the actual proportions and preparation for the mix!..and that's worth mega in my eyes..and am sure for many of us who won't have to lug through all those hours and wasted juice trying to figure it all out..
so really appreciate!;)

My feelings exactly! Cheers, Nuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread