Best OHM for 3MG liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyBear911

Nov 13, 2017
Hello all!.

I've just got a little question regarding my vape. I'm now smoking 3MG liquid, down from 18mg 2 years ago, and I still buy 1.5Ohm coils for my tank.

The only trouble I've noticed, is that the coils seem to burn out rather quickly, and I struggle to get a good kick at the throat for it. The liquid I purchase is the same liquid I've purchased for a long time now, so PG/VG is exactly the same.

I should add, my tank isn't a sub ohm, but would it improve it if I either increased or decreased the ohm based on the low nic liquid I use?

Thanks!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hello all!.

I've just got a little question regarding my vape. I'm now smoking 3MG liquid, down from 18mg 2 years ago, and I still buy 1.5Ohm coils for my tank.

The only trouble I've noticed, is that the coils seem to burn out rather quickly, and I struggle to get a good kick at the throat for it. The liquid I purchase is the same liquid I've purchased for a long time now, so PG/VG is exactly the same.

I should add, my tank isn't a sub ohm, but would it improve it if I either increased or decreased the ohm based on the low nic liquid I use?

Thanks!

Not receiving the same throat hit is understandable and a valid perception. But I can’t understand why the coil’s do not last as long when lower nic is being used assuming all else is equal. Are you trying to compensate for the lack of throat hit by increasing the power? If so, that will explain the coil’s longevity.

I do not know of any correlation between coil resistance and nicotine. But if you are using a tank that requires drop in coil you are bound by what is available. Perhaps sharing your tank others can give opinions.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Hmm, well my 3mg freebase nicotine juices are pretty mellow even on my sub-ohm RDA builds, and when using tanks with low own coils (e.g., 0.15). Juices with a higher PG ratio (e.g., 50/50) seem to have a bit more of a hit, but still, yea, less nicotine seems to equate with less of a hit.

For whatever it's worth, I get my hit using a pod device and nicotine salt, but those have higher nicotine levels, and for me, really only suitable for those times when I feel I must have a smoke (e.g., morning coffee, after a meal, etc.). Otherwise I vape 3mg or 0mg as a substitute for lighting up multiple times a day ;) It took a while to get use to the lack of throat hit when using classic e-juice at low nicotine levels. Turning up the wattage some can increase the vape temp, and that somewhat compensates.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The primary factor in "throat hit" is the concentration of the nicotine used, or volume of vapor consumed with each draw. Nicotine provides that "peppery" sensation in the back of the throat.

Pg (propylene glycol) also provides a secondary source of throat hit, but not as prominently as the nicotine concentration.

Folks who sub-ohm usually drop their nic level to around half what they used with normal resistance vaping, as the increase in vapor volume (cloud) results in more nicotine per draw.

Nic salts has more nicotine concentration than free base nic, but has been treated to produce a smoother vaping experience (less throat hit). In this way, vapers don't need to take as many draws to get the desired effect when compared to using free base.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think that the matter of longevity could have to do with the thickness of your eliquid more than the nic content. If you had to increase your power, it'll also do with longevity.
Get yourself some subohm. Even 0,7 will enhance the TH without putting too much strain. But, again, I think that going from 18mg to 3 is a very steep curve. Try some 12 with your coils. Remember that for MTL vaping 50/50 or 60/40 is dense enough.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I dont think by lowering the coils resistance is going to do much in terms of TH. Now if you also increased wattage with that lower ohmed coil, perhaps a tiny tiny bit. You may also find a lower resistance coil has thicker wire which does usually mean more power needed, of course you dont need to increase power, but that coil may lag a little if you dont....so you might increase power, then find you vaping more juice, so it might turn into a rabbit hole.....when lowering nic, your definitely going to feel less TH , so you just have to get use to it or increase nic....like mentioned above increasing pg might help a little.....I also think this is how some move to sub ohm tanks and dtl vaping , as to substitute the low nic with much higher power and much more intake of juice.....you have to weigh that outcome, because although you become satisfied with lower nic levels, you also might end up vaping twice as much juice . If your vaping 5mls of 3mg juice per day , it's kind of the same as vaping only 2.5mls of 6mg juice per day, so again, need to weigh the options.....good luck

• Agree
Reactions: Tabac man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread