Best way to do a single coil in a Velocity deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
I just received a mini velocity clone from Tobecco & my first two builds are completely underwhelming with Ni200. My first was a vertical coil between the posts, 12 wraps, 28awg for .15, my second was a similar coil mounted on the right side of the posts. Both builds have little to no flavor & minimal vapor. I just started building coils but the same wire, same build on the side of my Twisted Messes rda has tons of flavor & vapor. I doubt it's the Tobecco's fault for my lack of success so I'm wondering if I should try a single coil in between the two posts vs the side to see if that helps. How does one normally build a single coil with Ni200 in this rda? Until I switch wire it looks like I'm stuck doing single coil builds so any tips for single coil builds are appreciated, thanks!

TonyB66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
London, UK
Just got the same RDA. IMO it's a dual coil atomiser and because it has a lot of airflow your not going to get a great vape on a single coil even if you close most of the airflow holes right down.

Try a dual coil build between the posts (where the coils should be due to its hole configuration) and I think you will love it.

What mod are you using to fire the coils? I think this RDA needs a bit of power to really make it work well.

My first build was 3 parallel strands of 29AWG Kanthal wrapped with 34AWG Kanthal 6 wraps per coil which reads out at 0.33 ohms. Now that might be a bit fancy but it's not actually a big coil and is dwarfed by the size of the slot airflow holes. I'm running it at 60 watts and the flavour is superb just using the slot air flow which is only open 3mm.

Try the dual coils, you've got plenty of room for a large coil each side - 16 wraps on a 3mm screwdriver will get you above 0.1 and you should get a decent vape, just adjust airflow to suit your taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread