best way to reuse coils on mutiple flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBerch

Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
Erie, PA
So recently purchased a Nautilus tank and im loving it. But compared to my other tanks, this one trumps them and I only enjoy vaping from it. What I would typically do if I decide to vape on something else, is I would of course clean out the tank in warm water, let it soak and then dry it off, then replace the coil. But do I need to "Replace" the coil, or could I simply just run warm water through it, then let it air dry and throw in a new liquid. While still of course cleaning out the tank.

I tell my customers to take the coil out (of any clearomizer) and rinse everything else with water and dry it. Rinsing the coil with water is something I avoid because the wick gets saturated with water and it takes a decent amount of time to dry it with firing, so no liquid can vaporize until it dries.

A good rule is keep the category of juice flavor with similar flavors, but I didn't care too much. I would just rinse my tank, fill it, and vape it. You will have the last flavor for a little bit, but only while the wick still has the last juice in it.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Though everyone has their preference, including either rebuilding or buying new coils, what I do if the coil is usable is allow hot water to trickle over it for 3-5 minutes. A small trickle, not wide open. Throw the loose flavor wick on top away, there's no cleaning of that. If a flavor wick on top is desired, one can buy braided silica or regular wicking material. The braided holds together better than the standard, which if not careful, easily separates & goes everywhere.

Normally I have scrap ekowool silica wicking material from rebuilding coils to use for this purpose.

I then lay the rinsed coils on it's side on a box beside the exhaust vent of my notebook for 2 days, this allows the warm air to flow through it & it drys throughly. Just rinsing & turning upside down won't let the wick dry & the first few draws will be nasty. Plus a dried coil will absorb the new e-juice better.

Of course, it's best to use a similar flavor when reusing, being sure to put a couple of drops of e-juice on the coil before replacing the stem & gasket. Note that some types of e-juice flavors won't rinse out, in spite of the best efforts & it's best to use the same type. I don't want my coffee e-juice to taste like pina colada.

Cat

Has anyone tried flavor eraser? I ordered some with the intent of putting a couple drops in between flavors when I am dripping. I like to switch flavors a lot in the evening, and going off to rinse, clean, dry, re-wick... That is all way too fussy and would take forever. I also ordered a bunch more drip atomizers to label with flavors I don't use as often, but since I seem to buy a jillion vape related things every two days, I wanted to be able to drip, puff, erase, and switch to a new flavor when I am having a little "tasting party" in my living room. :)

-Mickey

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Just rinsing usually isn't enough to get the previous flavor out of the wick/coil. But it's not that complicated to clean one up quickly and easily. Here's what I did when I only had 1 or 2 tanks available... I've since keep 4 mini protanks in rotation now.

For Kanger style BCC devices.

Remove the coil unit.

Rinse out the tank and dry with a paper towel or as I call em vaper towels.

Rinse the coil unit well under hot water for a couple of minutes. be sure and run a stream through the center tube.

Remove the top stem cap.

Remove and discard any flavor wicks. Take a paper towel and dab the wick several times.

Replace the coil unit back in the base and attach it to a battery unit.

Dry burn it by pulsing the power on/off for about 3-5 second bursts. It will sizzle and steam until the water dissipates but it should only take a couple of cycles. Continue the dry burn cycles until the coil glows orange/red with no smoke or steam.

If you use flavor wicks install a new one... I use a small piece of rolled cotton. Replace the stem cap and trim it with a pair of fingernail clippers.

Reassemble, refill and go...

I Don't know if this is an approved method but when I first started vaping I went to a local b&m store and asked about switching flavors. One thing he suggested is if its a flavor you rotate through often to remove the coil and put that into a separate plastic bag clean the tank and insert a new one. When you're ready to go back to the other flavor just pop in the old one.

I'm lazy so I just empty the tank and put some plain PG/VG in it and vape through it until there's no taste of the previous juice. If there's only a little of the plain left in the tank then, I just add the new juice to it... doesn't make that much difference.

Thats actually a really great idea. I might have to pick up some unflavored nic juice and do this.

Colette

May 19, 2014
Louisiana
I just upgraded from my evod starter clearomizer to a protank III mini - I only have 1 of the new ones at the moment because I want to try a few different kinds before buying multiples of 1 type. I read that you shouldn't let the juice get below 1/3 or it loses it's vaccuum. I don't mind vaping through the flavor on the coil, but what do you guys do when you want to change flavors in a tank like this? Do you just waste the last 1/3 and rinse it out? Pour the leftover back in the bottle? (New to forum...I apologize if this is too off topic for this thread.)

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
I just upgraded from my evod starter clearomizer to a protank III mini - I only have 1 of the new ones at the moment because I want to try a few different kinds before buying multiples of 1 type. I read that you shouldn't let the juice get below 1/3 or it loses it's vaccuum. I don't mind vaping through the flavor on the coil, but what do you guys do when you want to change flavors in a tank like this? Do you just waste the last 1/3 and rinse it out? Pour the leftover back in the bottle? (New to forum...I apologize if this is too off topic for this thread.)

I have a PT3 Mini and I don't have any problems vaping it until it's dry. No vacuum problems at all.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I disassemble the tank and soak all in vinegar for an hour. Then do the long rinse under hot water. For the tiny wick coils, I run a fingernail through then as I rinse. Vinegar kills the flavor in the tank/coil. I just air-dry overnight.

I actually have about 10 coils that I re-use, so they get to dry for about 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread