Better Quality Ingredients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan46n2

Mar 10, 2018
I'm new to vaping and am trying to find a source of e-liquids that have better quality ingredients if that is even a thing? I've been to several local vape shops and have been pretty disappointed in what I've tried. Out of 20+ juices I've only really liked about 2 as far as flavor and even those I think could be improved on. For example I've tried about 4-5 different strawberry variants and some taste fake, another had a weak flavor, another just didn't taste right.... A lot of them just kind of taste the same, something sweet and creamy but the flavor gets blurred. Does the quality of what goes into the juice translate into better or more authentic taste/flavor? I would rather pay a premium and enjoy a better product. The problem is there are hundreds of companies out there and knowing where to start is frustrating. Any suggestions on a few places to try?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
In some cases yes the higher price the better ingredients and flavor but these are few and far between. Chances are you will just be overpaying. Your best bet is to mix your own it’s way way cheaper and you control everything. Flavor weak, add some more flavoring. Too sweet, or strong, dilute it down. You can do whatever you want and the money you save is great. DIY, it’s whats for dinner.
Oh and for a premium juice that may be worth the loot is blacknote but it’s a tobacco type so if that’s not your bag then I can’t help.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just because a company has a juice that is awesome doesn’t mean the next one they release will necessarily be any good. To make it more complicated juice taste is highly subjective. What I think is awesome you may find disgusting. The DIY suggestion is a good one but much like cooking, doing an average job is easy. Doing a great job is art. Messing around with DIY may give you a better idea what you like or don’t even if it turns out not to be for you. Fair warning: you will make at least a few truely awful juices. Everyone does.

If you’re interested in a tobacco flavor “bobas bounty” from alien visions won an award some years ago and I personally think it’s pretty good. YMMV though of course.

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
I agree that DIY is THE way to go. Go to Heartland Vapes or any of the other reputable DIY suppliers and stock up. A liter of 100 mg nicotine and a liter of VG will cost about what two 30 ml bottles of juice cost. Pick yourself a number of "goes with anything" kind of flavors and get some pipettes/syringes and safety gear and get cracking. There are a bunch of e-liquid calculators online. Buying all the ingredients and bottles will be a bit pricey at first, but you'll be making your own juice for $2-3/ bottle soon. One thing not mentioned that may play a role in the way you're evaluating flavors is what atomizer,build, and mod your using. Just a few watts more or less can make or break a given juice. Your coil material and resistance can make all the difference as well. Next time you're trying new juice, try going both up and down on power and see what effect it might have. He's right too, Boba's Bounty by Alien Vision E juice is VERY good. If you buy it, make sure you buy Alien Visions; NOT alien vapor. AVE's is great. Alien vapor is a cheap knockoff, IMO. Good luck!
Charles

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd suggest (unless you want to dive into DIY right away, which I definitely recommend, but I think there are some good reasons to try some storebought first, some of which have already been mentioned, including the fact that your tastebuds will be regenerating, and DIY is easier if you have SOME storebought experience first to at least know what types of flavors you may like as you start out, and etc.

There are many vendors that will sell small, inexpensive sample packs, that are pretty good. ITCvapes sent me a sample pack and while it was (by then somewhat too sweet for me, but I've been DIY for some time now, and my flavoring requirements are different) pretty good, most of the juices. But lots of companies will do it, and honestly sometimes going to one vape shop, if they follow their own processes and flavoring, well, they may use primarily one "set" of flavor companies, often the same nicotine (which can vary in quality) so it may be easier to try some (small) online options from different companies and get a sense of what you like.. My husband likes NETs from Heather's Heavenly vapes, and they are a solid and reliable juice brand, although there are like, ,infinity more.

You could also start DIY by seeing if you can "amend" juices not to your taste, either by dilution with PG/VG... depending, you may need to have some nicotine on hand in case you need to dilute a fair amount, or by adding another flavor to round it out, etc. That can sometimes be useful, although I tend to amend juices that I get commercial often by dilution as typically, flavoring is too strong for me now, but often a commercial juice may mix well with a DIY standalone I have created, etc.

I've gotten fairly good at "rescuing" juices (both my own, early attempts, but also storebought) and I did it with slow, steady patience. Lots of tasting and experimenting with different flavors, then starting with single flavor mixes I would "mix" in my tank to get a sense of steeping time and how my flavor blocks "play" with each other.

Most of all, write everything down. DIY is both an art and a science, and so is finding the right juice, so once you decide on an approach keep notes on "everything." By the time I got to DIY I pretty much found a set of "tastes" that I "like and dislike" and that really helps me as I continue to DIY. But, everyone's taste is different, so approach it like a... IDK, summer project? Start researching, tasting, annotating and etc., and try some early experiments!

I do know (100%) that I can mix flavors to MY palette better than a commercial juice outfit (and I can also mix for others, but I usually start by having them pick a primary flavor, send them away) and then overflavor (for my taste) and slightly oversweeten (for my taste) and haven't gotten complaints . The kind of people I give them to won't hesitate to complain, either, so I know they genuinely liked them.

Building blocks of flavor was my key. That and starting slow and reading and tasting a lot of different things and recipies. I'm fairly confident in my juices now, but there is always more to learn and experiment with.

I like Nicotine River for DIY. I like their nicotine, and everything always comes clean, organized and etc., and they do have a good selection of flavors.

You can do all of this (to varying degrees) at the same time, or you can start with storebought and work your way to DIY.... But if juices aren't tasting "great" to you on a consistent basis, over time, in my opinion (as always) DIY can work just as well, if not better, although it does involve some early outlay and willingness to experiment.

Best of luck, I hope you find some juice options you like!

Anna

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I would rather pay a premium and enjoy a better product. The problem is there are hundreds of companies out there and knowing where to start is frustrating. Any suggestions on a few places to try?

I'd suggest you go to Giant Vapes. They are all really good juices from different vendors at different price points and their search results will get you dialled into what would be good. Read the reviews to help in your decision.

After a while, when you find your favorites, go DIY and spend the rest of your life trying to clone them. JK. :2cool:

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    socialonlinebydesign.com
    There is a handful of online vendors that carry a HUGE variety of flavors (like, in the hundreds!) and allow you to customize aspects of your order like their intensity of flavor, VG/PG ratio, sweetness, and more. Here are some I know of:

The Vape Mall
    Mt Baker Vapor
    EC Blend Flavors

I highly recommend playing around with these before you get into mixing your own flavors, as it will help you figure out what exactly you like and what you don't like, with a smaller margin for error than you would have in mixing your own flavors. Through this you can figure out what VG/PG ratio you prefer, what flavor types you prefer, how much flavor you like in your juices, and whether you like to have sweetener added to your flavors, sour, or menthol. Later if you REALLY like certain flavors, you can order them from these same vendors to mix your own juice.

dan46n2

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like I need to try out some different flavors and see what I like then go the DIY route. My first vape was an Aspire Typhon 100, it seemed fine but didn't have anything to compare it to. I was in a vape shop and there was an X PRIV that looked really nice so I bought it. The flavor out of it is no comparison to the Aspire. Its thick, lots of flavor. I have it at 110W with a V12 T10... The Aspire I tried between 70-100W and cant get anywhere near the performance of the X PRIV. I guess its possible a different juice will taste better in the Aspire too? So many different variables...

rabernet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2011
    Buford, GA
    I generally do not like most budget ejuice vendors - there's always a chemical undertone to me.

My #1 vendor for the cleanest flavors is Ahlusion (veteran owned and operated). Followed by The Plume Room.

I personally have no need to DIY, AND Ahlusion has set the bar so high for me, that I doubt I could replicate the level of quality and depth of flavor that I've come to expect from them.

And if you are military, they do offer military discounts. Wlad is an ex Marine who started Ahlusion to provide quality e juices to his fellow military brothers and sisters.

About Ahlusion

EleanorR

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2011
    Treasure Coast
    I generally do not like most budget ejuice vendors - there's always a chemical undertone to me.

My #1 vendor for the cleanest flavors is Ahlusion (veteran owned and operated). Followed by The Plume Room.

I personally have no need to DIY, AND Ahlusion has set the bar so high for me, that I doubt I could replicate the level of quality and depth of flavor that I've come to expect from them.

And if you are military, they do offer military discounts. Wlad is an ex Marine who started Ahlusion to provide quality e juices to his fellow military brothers and sisters.

About Ahlusion

What he said, All of it. :) :thumbs:

Cas002

ECF Veteran
    Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    DIY is the way to go. You can buy pre-mixed VG or PG with nic and just add one (or multiple) of the many great flavors available (The Flavor Apprentice, Flavour Art, & Capellas are all great.) Strawberry is my base flavor that I build on and there are so many variations with all the options out there. You will save A TON of money going that route and always able to easily customize your juice exactly to your liking. Don't forget to steep, whether you buy juice or mix it - can make a big difference in flavor and reduce or eliminate that "not so right" taste experience. GL.

dan46n2

Mar 10, 2018
    I'm looking into DIY now but did try the Plume room. Didn't have a good experience with the juice, they recommended 50/50 vg/pg. Tried citrus crema which was unvapable, it was so harsh I coughed and gagged with every vape and the flavor was not good, did not taste any cream. Reminded me of a citrus cleaner smell/taste. Tried their banana pudding which I also didn't like. The banana tasted like an artificial flavor you get in some cheap candy. There was a cherry soda that was ok but probably wouldn't buy again. Also tried blueberries and cream or something like that and again did not think much of it. Also tried out zamplebox and the first shipment was largely a big disappointment. Looked at Ahlusions website and I don't know why but the descriptions of the juice didn't sound like what I would enjoy. One from zamplebox was a croissant flavor and it had great reviews but literally almost made me vomit and it tasted nothing like a croissant. Alot of the juices Ive tried you have to have a good imagination to taste the flavor they are intending or are just outright nasty.

Reactions: stols001

rabernet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2011
    Buford, GA
    Oops, sorry!! :blush:

I actually hesitated before posting "he," as I thought I recalled you being a "she"! (Should always trust my instincts, if not my memory :facepalm:)

No worries! My user name is ambiguous and how many women do you know who like snakes? I actually removed "Herper Chick" from my signature. LOL

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I'm new to vaping and am trying to find a source of e-liquids that have better quality ingredients if that is even a thing? I've been to several local vape shops and have been pretty disappointed in what I've tried. Out of 20+ juices I've only really liked about 2 as far as flavor and even those I think could be improved on. For example I've tried about 4-5 different strawberry variants and some taste fake, another had a weak flavor, another just didn't taste right.... A lot of them just kind of taste the same, something sweet and creamy but the flavor gets blurred. Does the quality of what goes into the juice translate into better or more authentic taste/flavor? I would rather pay a premium and enjoy a better product. The problem is there are hundreds of companies out there and knowing where to start is frustrating. Any suggestions on a few places to try?

You got a bunch of good advice here. Only comment I have is that there really isn't such a thing as good or bad quality in ingredients. It's nicotine, VG, PG, and food flavorings. Can't see how you could have cheap low quality versions of any of those, unless someone had very old nicotine or flavorings that had been sitting on a shelf for years. It's how much of each they put in the bottle that makes the difference. There certainly are crap recipes and good recipes.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio

Azure Vaping Home

This is the company that got me on vaping and off smoking. While others have their own favorite juice and flavor suppliers, this remains one of mine.

Nice thing here is, you can try their pre-made in various nic strengths and pg/vg ratios.

And you can later buy that exact flavor when you’re ready to diy. I had a lot of success with doing it that way. It’s quite difficult to replicate a juice with no idea what brand or recipe it was made from.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread