Better Vape From One APV Over Another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I totally understand the pleasure that can be found from owning high quality toys. There is pride of ownership that comes from quality and pleasing aesthetics. There is also the practical benefits of increased reliability and owning products from builders that stand behind their products. Because of this I would love to own some high quality devices. But the one thing that I am having a hard time getting my head around, is when people post that the vapor from APV brand Y is so much better than the vapor from brand X etc. While I can believe that the output might be more consistent in a higher quality device, isn't 8 watts from one device the same as 8 watts from another device? I cannot help but wonder (no offense) that perhaps there is a bit of placebo effect at work. I can certainly understand that different types of tanks and atomizers, with different designs, could change the way a unit vapes, but I am not so sure about the power supply. If there is something that I am missing please educate me, as I am a newbie and would love to learn if there is something that I am missing.

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Hey Ed_C, IMHO you are exactly right, there are several factors I use now that I did not when starting out and is why I am $1300+ invested since april

1. Fire button location relative to how it fits my hand and if I can use thumb or index finger (most mech mods are pinkie finger only - mech mods are for advanced users)
2. Adjustability - VV and VW
3. Ease of adjusting settings - unfortunately my favored device changes too easily and I do need to check it occasionally (Vamo)

Other things to take into account will be weight, pocket friendliness, appearance to others (have had non-vapors in public get nervous about my Vamo/Protank (had a police officer approach me at an outdoor venue due to some people insisted he arrest me because I had a portable .... lab even after he tried to explain it was and e-cig (I ended up selling him an ego/clearo/ry4 beginner set up I carry around to get people started on vaping if they are serious)))
Cost of device and additional items needed (most mods will need separate batteries and charger - you will need extra batteries and a good charger)

Highest quality mod that will be recommended to you will be a Provari - excellent warranty (all others are made in china so warranties are next nothing except what your vendor will give you)

a Provari will be an excellent investment for you for quality. It is not a variable wattage device however (who knows with increasing popularity of VW they may develop one in the future which in my opinion would make them the ONLY device to own)

hope some of this helps - hopefully you have a brick and mortar store nearby to be able to actually hold some different devices (remember that they are SALES PEOPLE and in most cases will try to get you into the most profitable device they sell (not always the most expensive or best quality device)

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
One of the things to consider when it comes to actual performance (which affects how it vapes), is how well the boost circuit is designed. For example, there are several VV/VW devices available in the lower price range that operate at 33.3Hz (pulse width modulation) to boost the voltage from a 3.7v battery. This will, in many cases, add a bit of a vibrations or "rattle snake" effect when used. While this doesn't bother a lot of people, it does bother others, so it's really up to you as to whether or not it's something you need to consider.

For myself, I prefer the boost circuit of the Provari (VV only), or the DNA20 mods (VW only) over the others available on the market currently.

Last edited:

bigrf85

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
jax, fl
as your said in theory 8 watts is 8 watts but there are many factors as to what that manufacturer has coined as 8 watts factors as to what battery is being used if there is a problem in internal resistance the "+-" spec for each setting so many factors that may not seem like a big deal but fome people swear there is a true difference and im not saying there isn't or that they cant i just know that with my budget im looking to set it at 8 watts and be in that ballpark figure.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The critical factors of an ideal vaping experience will involve both the mechanical gear used to make the vapor and the e-liquid used to create a flavorful and volumeful amount of vapor that provides adequate throat hit.

E-Liquid:

Possibly the most critical factor, and possibly the most difficult to find. Most responsible factor for what can determine the Perfect Vape: flavor, throat hit, and vapor production.

Nicotine percentage is most responsible for the throat hit, but vapor temperature and a higher pg content also play a role. Vg percentage plays the most important part in vapor production. And Pg arguably plays the most important part in flavor. Finding flavors that the user will enjoy using on a consistant basis can be one of the most difficult for the new vapor to find, and even most experienced vapors are always on the lookout for a new flavor to add to their flavor rotation.

Juice Delivery Attachments:

Here's where there is the most variety in designs, and also critical. All involve some type of wicking system and a heating coil to vaporize the e-liquid into vapor.

The resistance (Ohm rating) of the heating coil can be another factor which can affect the vape experience. Low resistance can produce a warmer vape. Standard resistance can produce a cooler vape. With clearomizers, top coil can produce a warmer vape. Bottom coil can produce a cooler vape.

From drip atomizers, clearomizers, cartomizers, to RBA/RDA's (rebuildables); all differ in their form and function, and all will have their proponents in personal preference as to which provides an individual with what they feel provides them with the best vape experience.

Proper Terminology: A Primer on Juice Delivery Attachments

Batteries and the devices that use them:

Li-ion batteries, and the devices that use the energy from these batteries play an important part is supplying that energy to the heating coils in the juice delivery attachment. High quality Li-ion, Li-Mn, or hybrid batteries should be chosen for safety first (safe chemistry vs protected), and for either high battery capacity (ICR), "high-drain" ability (IMR), or a combination of those (hybrid). Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Fixed voltage vs variable voltage. Using a mechanical mod you will be at the mercy of the battery and the resistance of the atomizer you choose. Since the battery drops in voltage as the battery is used, the vape quality will also decline from start to finish of a fully charged battery. Voltage regulation with a processor-based mod can keep the vape experience consistant and also allow the option of adjusting the voltage higher or lower to the benefit of the user.

Variable voltage is a very useful function which allows the user to make adjustments to fine tune the voltage output for individual flavors, much like a dimmer switch for a lightbulb. Few flavors taste their best at a single fixed voltage. Finding Your Flavor's "Sweet Spot" Using Variable Voltage

Some variable voltage processors even differ in the way that they regulate higher voltage via PWM (pulse width modulation), differing in the frequency of the energy pulses. From the 33.3 hz of typical Chinese-made regulators ("rattlesnake effect") to the nearly flat-line 800 hz pulses of processors found in the Provari, iTaste MVP and VV, and DNA mods, some vapors can detect a difference in the vaping experience because of the PWM method used. This is a controversial subject which is popular to debate among enthusiasts:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

Provari vs Vamo on an Oscelloscope

There are those vapors who are totally devoted to the bottom feeder mods. Self-contained, simple-as-they-come battery devices that combine the full flavor of a drip atomizer with the convenience of a tank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread