Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The point where Celsius and F are one and the same - that's cold, my friend ;)
-40 degrees. No F or C needed. You can use that tidbit to do an F<->C conversions, not having to remember whether you should add or subtract 32...

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I josh and kid around, but to be fair cold/hot is a relative concept in many ways.

In the winter when I'm used to subzero temps, 20 degrees feels like a heat wave and you may see me in a t-shirt at 30-40.

In the summer when I'm used to the 80s, a cold summer night would be like 35 degrees, and you'll see me wearing a sweater.

We humans adapt quickly. It's largely relative. I went down to Knoxville TN in September and saw people wearing sweaters at 75 degrees (yeah I was laughing, but hey, they were used to 90s and 100s).

That said, all relativity aside, there are properties of temperatures a lot of people don't even get.

At 20 below, trees will often pop, ringing out like a gunshot. It's the sap exploding. (it's quite interesting)
It is all relative. I've been known to curl up with a thick blanket to nap on 100 degree days :blush:

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
It is all relative. I've been known to curl up with a thick blanket to nap on 100 degree days :blush:

baby-sloth-pictures-sloth-in-blanket.jpg

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
The point where Celsius and F are one and the same - that's cold, my friend ;)

I experienced -40 once, and without decent cold weather gear (was supposed to be issued 2 days later and I didn't want to lug my own).

I hope to NEVER do so again.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
10 F is the coldest I have experienced. I was living in a bungalow in canberra. Bungalow had a tin roof, nowhere is double glazed here. No insulation.

Don't recall a wind chill. Somehow it felt warmer than 40 F days

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
10 F is the coldest I have experienced. I was living in a bungalow in canberra. Bungalow had a tin roof, nowhere is double glazed here. No insulation.

Don't recall a wind chill. Somehow it felt warmer than 40 F days

Lack of humidity. :)

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Double post Tapatalk error

May as well use the space to give you the ultimate festivus card photo.

6b4c00f27e36fdefad29976e7f4b7a3d.jpg

Oh and all the talk of weather makes me jealous believe it or not. Its still 72-8 here lately. Christmas being white will happen only if a meteor crashes kicking up ash.

We are about to have some of our coldest nights at nearly freezing. Brrrrr. Lol

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I am
From the U.K. And live in the USA. So 22-24C is our current afternoon temp. And in summer here it's Africa hot. 48-50C. Senora desert. Sahara desert. Same thing just about.

If we can't get centigrade understood I doubt kelvin would work . Not the ti don't agree with you but we use s system where freezing is 32 degrees. Which makes about as much sense as using miles to measure with 5280 ft and not easily divisible. I truly don't get why or how the measurement scales ever came to be here.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Confusing with these strange temperature scales. Why not found common ground and use Kelvin. No more complaining about subzero temperatures.
I don't complain. I love winter. The colder the better. Keeps invasive species and tourists away.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I am
From the U.K. And live in the USA. So 22-24C is our current afternoon temp. And in summer here it's Africa hot. 48-50C. Senora desert. Sahara desert. Same thing just about.

If we can't get centigrade understood I doubt kelvin would work . Not the ti don't agree with you but we use s system where freezing is 32 degrees. Which makes about as much sense as using miles to measure with 5280 ft and not easily divisible. I truly don't get why or how the measurement scales ever came to be here.

nautilcal times :thumbs:

the compass, and 360 degrees [sexagesimal is apparently easier to learn than decimal]

boiling and freezing water are 180 degrees [oppisite] apart in F, 100 apart in C that likes tens

can't remember why 0 F is that. Maybe mercury

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
lol, that quiet beack i posted gets nuts in summer
Ya, I bet. It's beautiful!

BTW, few minutes ago got a call from a lady from Australia. She's visiting NYC and wanted to come up here for the weekend. She comes tomorrow. I'll let you know if she survives or not :D

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Ya, I bet. It's beautiful!

BTW, few minutes ago got a call from a lady from Australia. She's visiting NYC and wanted to come up here for the weekend. She comes tomorrow. I'll let you know if she survives or not :D

could be interesting

i didn't discover woolen thermal underwear until this winter

particularly, bitterly cold winter, nights dropped the 30s F :jaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread