Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Day-um, I'm just gettin' comfortable with e-cig jargon. Anyone find the Bitcoin Cliff Notes?
free-rolleye-smileys-442.gif

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Bitcoin discussion should probably stay over in OUTSIDE! or as WTTF in Classifieds.

Some people dabble in it, some people don't trust it at all, market dynamics, etc.

There is no e-cig vendor yet listed on the official wiki at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade .. and before Silk Road closed there were no e-cig suppliers there either. -Magnus

kevbow

Unregistered Supplier
May 27, 2009
CT
teatimeliquid.com
Bitcoin discussion should probably stay over in OUTSIDE! or as WTTF in Classifieds.

Some people dabble in it, some people don't trust it at all, market dynamics, etc.

There is no e-cig vendor yet listed on the official wiki at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade .. and before Silk Road closed there were no e-cig suppliers there either. -Magnus
There actually is an ecig vendor that uses bitcoin. Russ will talk about bitcoin and his experience buying ecigs using bitcoin on his show this Tuesday.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I agree that it's a neat concept. OTOH... I donate my cpu hours for charity.... using the World Community Grid.

I suppose I could use bitcoin mining instead. IDK what the bitcoin projects are tho... any links/info??????

Then there's this from the wiki:
The drawback is that the amount of work that has to be done for one bitcoin is currently over 500,000 times more than the amount of work at which the first bitcoins were going. As more people join, and also because of a reward function that halves the number of rewarded bitcoins every so many blocks, it becomes harder to "generate" bitcoins over time, using the same CPU/GPU power.

So... still unsure.

EDIT: well cozz.... some say the exchange rate for real USD went from 1.0 to 30.0 . lol. It's around 16ish now. IDK if you're sitting on $1,000.00 USD or $30,000 USD or somewhere in between. Wonder how it really works out???? What did you spend your CPU/GPU hours on.... Skynet? Who knows, maybe you helped cure cancer.

The whole thing reminds me of the real monetary system... we don't really know where all of it goes either!

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I agree that it's a neat concept. OTOH... I donate my cpu hours for charity.... using the World Community Grid.

I suppose I could use bitcoin mining instead. IDK what the bitcoin projects are tho... any links/info??????

Then there's this from the wiki:

So... still unsure.

EDIT: well cozz.... some say the exchange rate for real USD went from 1.0 to 30.0 . lol. It's around 16ish now. IDK if you're sitting on $1,000.00 USD or $30,000 USD or somewhere in between. Wonder how it really works out????

Well... if bitcoins went to $0 I would have wasted some electricity. if they go to $40.... Well.. lets just say retirement is pretty darned close :)

The beauty of the Bitcoin process is that processing is done to help keep the system secure. The more processing power that is used to mine for bitcoins and re-verify transactions, the more processing power would be required to crack it and the currency has a better chance of keeping its value.

bassworm

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
The very way the bitcoin key's work is insecure, since they have to be available on the internet at all times, what you need to do is after you generate a coin, or key for a coin, and you are not going to transfer its value , you need to move that information into an encrypted storage container until you are ready to use it ( there was a good twitter conversation between some infosec pros about this )

I downloaded the bitcoin application but have yet to mine or anything, my understanding is its assumed by "agents" if you are trading with bitcoin you are doing it for very nefarious purposes -- My understanding is you want to use a currency exchange such as Liberty Reserve to transfer in and out of bitcoin, but yeah, bitcoin is a really cool concept and I hope it catches on.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
The very way the bitcoin key's work is insecure, since they have to be available on the internet at all times, what you need to do is after you generate a coin, or key for a coin, and you are not going to transfer its value , you need to move that information into an encrypted storage container until you are ready to use it ( there was a good twitter conversation between some infosec pros about this )

I think you misunderstood something. After any given transaction or generation is validated you can move your wallet offline. The information remaining out among the peers cannot be used to do anything with it. And you can generate as many bitcoin addresses (one per transaction if you want) as you want. There has been talk of adding a default step of signing your wallet and your transactions but that would be at the cost of reducing anonymity. Since the BTC isn't entirely anonymous, it's possible that these variants will catch on. Are you talking about Halvar's tweets on the topic?

I downloaded the bitcoin application but have yet to mine or anything, my understanding is its assumed by "agents" if you are trading with bitcoin you are doing it for very nefarious purposes -- My understanding is you want to use a currency exchange such as Liberty Reserve to transfer in and out of bitcoin, but yeah, bitcoin is a really cool concept and I hope it catches on.

I think such assumptions are part of the politics of it and while that's certainly a use, just as many of us use it for the same purposes we'd use USD for.

Conceptually, as a first pass virtual P2P currency, it already shows a lot of promise. What evolves from here will be most interesting! -Magnus

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
Well... if bitcoins went to $0 I would have wasted some electricity. if they go to $40.... Well.. lets just say retirement is pretty darned close :)

I'd suggest doing some profit-taking at the first available opportunity. It seems as though the entire point behind bitcoin is to purposely create a scarce commodity (what could possibly go wrong with that?), thereby triggering deflation (one way to look at that is: a rise in value of a currency). The problem is, bitcoins will never be scarce, mostly because if they disappear tomorrow, or 20 years from now, only a very few people in the world would care. (Unlike, say, if the dollar or Euro would collapse, in which case, pretty much 6 billion people would immediately feel the effects.)

They are more like collecting and trading Beanie Babies than they are currency trading, except if bitcoins fail, you won't even have a stuffed animal to sit around the house.

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC

bassworm

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
I very well could have misunderstood something, thanks for elaborating, ill have to do more research on this when my time frees up.
I think you misunderstood something. After any given transaction or generation is validated you can move your wallet offline. The information remaining out among the peers cannot be used to do anything with it. And you can generate as many bitcoin addresses (one per transaction if you want) as you want. There has been talk of adding a default step of signing your wallet and your transactions but that would be at the cost of reducing anonymity. Since the BTC isn't entirely anonymous, it's possible that these variants will catch on. Are you talking about Halvar's tweets on the topic?

I think such assumptions are part of the politics of it and while that's certainly a use, just as many of us use it for the same purposes we'd use USD for.

Conceptually, as a first pass virtual P2P currency, it already shows a lot of promise. What evolves from here will be most interesting! -Magnus

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread