Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Probably because you want hot gasses venting away from your face. They should be at the top because a venting battery could swell preventing the gasses from getting from the top to the bottom of the tube.
Do not get complacent with your safety procedures and battery use and it should never come to a situation where you have a battery in thermal runaway.

Putting a battery positive side down in a tube mech is a really bad idea.

sDRX2p4.png

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with @sonicbomb . :thumb:

Studying pics of mech tube mods which have exploded, the vast majority blow their tops off. This is likely because there was no venting, or inadequate venting in the tube when a battery shorted and vented. First vape related death

C3E3EE14-84B0-4663-89FA-91DB8D953AE1_zpshizhveti.jpg

batteries are intentionally designed to vent from a weakened spot under the positive pole of the battery. So from a location perspective, the vent holes should be located where the positive pole of the battery is oriented.

However, most tube mech manufacturers locate the vent holes (if there are any) at the other end of the tube (bottom), probably because they believe it would be better for any hot gases escaping would be directed away from the user's face. This doesn't take into account that a venting battery can swell in diameter blocking escape access to a bottom located vent hole. Orienting the battery positive side down could be catastrophic should the insulation wraps on the battery be less than pristene resulting in an instant battery short, as shown in sonic's diagram above.

The "ideal" situation would be to have vent holes located just above where the positive end of the battery is located, positive end up. Even if the battery should swell up inside the tube, the gas still has an escape route to prevent a pipe bomb scenario. And even if there is venting of gas, it would not be directed to the face, but outward away from the face. See image below:

Mech Mods with top venting holes?

flip3e2_093c0226-a8ea-42c0-b23e-b83c1cb1ddd5_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I like the venting in this one:
IMG_6614-600x600.jpg

Gonna burn your palm. Better hold it with your non dominant hand just in case. ;)

Ah, kicks. I still have a bunch in my stockpile. I have a Nemesis with a ring to accommodate one. Never used, but comforting to know they're in a drawer somewhere. Not the nice Evolv ones though, just the cheapo smok ones.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Betcha that cat is deaf. And probably has blue eyes.Hearing pets hate hair dryers and vacuums, but deaf animals often love them.
White cats with blue eyes are very often born deaf.

This has been your pointless daily factoid. Other pointless factoids may also be dispensed in a random manner.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I didn't remember his name. We all called him Towell Boy.

Made me look. I was wrong. Not Victor. Victor was using a regulated mod and caused a small fire at 260 watts. Go to ~2 min. You really don't want to watch the whole video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread