Bootleggers, Baptists, and E-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
That describes our entire struggle quite thoroughly. I liked this part... "A public that supports [other stuff] decriminalization is unlikely to support a ban on e-cigs."

Still no reassurance they won't tax it obscenely, in fact I'm not sure they can afford NOT to tax vape stuff regardless of what the majority of sensible people think or believe, regardless of all the proof that they are saving lives.
Ugh....

Very informative read, thanks for the post.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
This is written from the point of view of the investor class, who are true believers in government health lies. It is only instructive about how They think. Consumers are portrayed as a faceless, passive and voiceless mass who exist only to pay taxes (or not), and the implication is that we are supposed to define our own interests strictly within the framework that these amoral and cynical masters-of-the-universe create. To H with that.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
That describes our entire struggle quite thoroughly. I liked this part... "A public that supports [other stuff] decriminalization is unlikely to support a ban on e-cigs."

Still no reassurance they won't tax it obscenely, in fact I'm not sure they can afford NOT to tax vape stuff regardless of what the majority of sensible people think or believe, regardless of all the proof that they are saving lives.
Ugh....

Very informative read, thanks for the post.
Apparently there is a recent study analyzing Medicad, which is tax supported and insures 51% of american smokers, and finds that increasing adoption of ecigs saves taxpayers more than cigarette taxes collect.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Just to be clear.... this was written 'about' the point of view. The people writing it are not 'true believers in gov't lies' - just the opposite :)
Depends on which aspect of the government is speaking. Many totally believe one aspect of the government and completely diss the other side.
The politicians they believe are still the government, but many follow blindly along, not seeing the overall truth.

We have the best government that money can buy, and therein lies the problem.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Depends on which aspect of the government is speaking. Many totally believe one aspect of the government and completely diss the other side.
The politicians they believe are still the government, but many follow blindly along, not seeing the overall truth.

We have the best government that money can buy, and therein lies the problem.

This is from the Cato Institute's "Regulation" magazine - which is anti-regulation as the article should convey for those who read it. Their 'anti-regulation' policy includes not buying politicians to regulate. :)

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
This was the best article I have ever read, very thorough, yet to the point. "Joe Public" usually only knows what they hear or read via the media. As I was reading, I wanted to get out my yellow highlighter!

Instead of bookmarking it; I downloaded and saved it (thank goodness for pdf). I may just have some plans for this, locally.

Thank you so much, Ardo!

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Very good article. It did overlook one other motivation for Big Pharma - lost sales of other drugs for other illnesses exacerbated by smoking. For example, when I switched to vaping, my migraine headaches disappeared, and I no longer needed Imitrex. And I have seen quite a few other folks report that they have either reduced or eliminated meds for high blood pressure, asthma, COPD, etc. I don't have a sense for how big a number this represents, but it has the potential to be much more than chicken-feed.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Very good article. It did overlook one other motivation for Big Pharma - lost sales of other drugs for other illnesses exacerbated by smoking. For example, when I switched to vaping, my migraine headaches disappeared, and I no longer needed Imitrex. And I have seen quite a few other folks report that they have either reduced or eliminated meds for high blood pressure, asthma, COPD, etc. I don't have a sense for how big a number this represents, but it has the potential to be much more than chicken-feed.

That's a great point, pianoguy! I'm very fortunate at this point (a month shy of age 64) not to be taking any medication at all, but I know many people have to rely on meds on a daily basis for various ills. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I like the way the article flows and concepts it chooses to run with (bootleggers and baptists).

I dislike that it paints tobacco producers with a broad brush and seemingly is oblivious to idea that they became 'cartels' because anti-type activists waged a very visible propaganda war that started around 1960, and carries through, very visibly, to this day. Do that same thing to any other industry, and if they survive, I'd be surprised if the top companies aren't viewed, by some, as a cartel.

Also dislike how it brings up the 2007 date, but neglects the Boehner letter that would move the grandfather date. Even mentioning that as something that could plausibly occur, by any politician(s), seems like negligence in what is an otherwise fairly well informed article.

I think federal regulations are inevitable, but to think they will automatically fit into the way smokes were handled strikes me as way way way behind the times. Lawsuits, partisan politics and black market being all of what they currently are, will have a significant role going forward and if regulations are akin to FSPTCA, then all those items will come into play; with partisan politics being the least likely to have impact, and yet arguably most promising.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This is written from the point of view of the investor class, who are true believers in government health lies. It is only instructive about how They think. Consumers are portrayed as a faceless, passive and voiceless mass who exist only to pay taxes (or not), and the implication is that we are supposed to define our own interests strictly within the framework that these amoral and cynical masters-of-the-universe create. To H with that.
I can't figure out if that is more profound than it is true.
Or more true than it is profound.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Apparently there is a recent study analyzing Medicad, which is tax supported and insures 51% of american smokers, and finds that increasing adoption of ecigs saves taxpayers more than cigarette taxes collect.
Did that appear in the mainstream media?
If so, I must have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread