Born of necessity. My first bottom feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
sierra nevada foothills, ca
So go the parts today to assemble my first bottom feeder. After mentally designing it for a few days prior I managed to slap it together. Not quite finished. Needs to be epoxied and left to cure and then it will be golden. Since I sold my reo and unfortunate measures lead to the money going to a new belt for our car and not a new reo as planned I had to build my own on the cheap. So basically my homage to the best mod I've ever touched (and trust me I've touched too many!!). Pics below. Will post more once she's all glued up!
e8b4a583.jpg

07c1c5a3.jpg

I know I know those switches suck. Only one I could find to fit that area and figured they work on the chuck ok so this should be fine. Wish it was a mechanical switch but that would be more work than it's worth for me.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Hey, cool mod. If the switch ever breaks (don't epoxy it), just replace it.

Thanx! I was thinking that but the way I had to mount it the entire body goes through the case so it's prolly not possible to secure it without epoxy. If I had a hot glue gun I'd use that as it's far easier to break loose. Don't figure it will fail anytime soon and only using it till I can afford another reo.

brewsterfrank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
lol yeah not as good as a Reo, but i have no intention of spending that kind of money. the only PV's i have bought are a 510 pcc kit and an ego kit. i prefer to make my own mods. have made 11 so far and would rather do a bottom feeder myself. this is the best, cheap one i have seen. the gf has been bugging me forever about wanting a bottom feeder and this is the one. so thanks for sharing.

just one question what did you make the catch cup out of

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Alright parts list as follows. All is available from madvapes except the silicone tubing which I got off eBay.

1/2".Black Poly Plug .

Mini Push Button Switch -- Red

Luer Lock Needle 16 gauge 1.5"

Black 2xAA Battery Box with On/Off Switch

510 Battery Connector, Gold, Large Hole

Silicone tubing 1/16 inside diameter

I ended up gutting the on/off switch in the AA box so if I build another I'll get the one without the switch although the little extra plastic pieces I toil off came in handy later. I clipped the metal tube from a 16 gauge needle.(then used pliers to open up the end I clipped again) Pulled the center pin out of the 510 connector and flush mounted the needle inside the connector using solder. Soldered my lead wire to the base of the needle and center pin. Reinstalled the center pin and clipped the needle to length. (again using a pliers to round out the needle after it's smashed flat from clipping). The catch cup is a 1/2" poly plug I flipped over. Drilled through it, drilled through the battery box and mounted the connector through both. The rest is pretty straight forward. Switch placement totally up to you but make sure it's small. I had to reengineer the battery side to fit the switch and battery correctly. I would have just used a needle attached to the bottle (phidius style) but loved the right side up feed and ease of removal the silicone tubing gave me with a reo. So there it is. About $13 in parts and an hour or so labor. Thanx for all the kind words and if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
excellent work my friend! I also love your catch cup! You'll have yourself another Reo in no time, I know it.

Thanx! Did my best to replicate the best lol. I sure hope another reo pops into my life but I think it will be a very long time until I can come up with the money. Unless I get lucky and a benevolent friend with an extra sends one my way. Lol. Now I'm dreaming.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
One note that I'll add is if you can find smaller tubing that would be best. The 1/16 inside diameter is a snug fit but not as tight as I would have liked. My remedy was to flip it facing connector down and drop a couple drops of epoxy into the connector to seal and keep things in place. Make sure to let it dry upside down so none will get into the feed tube. Also the tubing I used is very thick walled but it was the best I could come up with. Thinner wall would be preferred. If you're gunna make your own I bought 2 feet of the tubing so I can send some to you if you wanna trade for a carto or drip tip or something. Also if you're gunna use cartos I'd make the needle extend past the center pin a bit instead of flush mounting although it will work fine either way.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
If anyone is interested in building one I can offer my best step by step instructions. Also as far as the tubing it's the only item not available at madvapes and I really don't need it so if you're building one I can send you a length free. Been vaping on this thing all day and it really does the trick. No leaks, feeds easy, puts out plumes. Very nice for the cost. Anyway thought I'd throw that out there. I would also possibly build one for someone if they sent me the parts but I would have to have something in trade cuz it is quite a bit of work. My hands have the blisters to prove it lol.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
It's the inside diameter that matters most. If you can find smaller than 1/16 that would be best. Also make sure it can hane chemicals and heat well. That's what made me decide on silicone. Heat resistant and mostly non reactive. Afterall nicotine, alcohol, flavorings, etc can all effect rubber. Silicone is the obvious choice. You will be pushing it over the needle not the end
Connector. Just a few words of advice. In the end that's what modding is about. Finding your own way.

JoeDoe1986

Jun 14, 2011
Franklin, OH
If anyone is interested in building one I can offer my best step by step instructions. Also as far as the tubing it's the only item not available at madvapes and I really don't need it so if you're building one I can send you a length free. Been vaping on this thing all day and it really does the trick. No leaks, feeds easy, puts out plumes. Very nice for the cost. Anyway thought I'd throw that out there. I would also possibly build one for someone if they sent me the parts but I would have to have something in trade cuz it is quite a bit of work. My hands have the blisters to prove it lol.

If you could toss up some basic steps or a quick doodle of the breakdown I would really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread