bottom end firing button mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
I thought the same thing, but I went ahead and bought one anyway. They're not even REMOTELY as awkward as I expected. In fact, they're not awkward at all. I now own 3 bottom button mods. I also realized that a bottom button is the simplest activation design. It's pretty hard to screw up a bottom button, and it's easy to fix if you run into issues.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Yeah... same here.. went from Egos and a Vamo and added a K100 to the mix. At first, the button was a little awkward, but I got used to it. Though, if I am holding it for extended periods, my hand starts to get sore.... but my fingers are prematurely jacked up due to the abuse they took playing football and baseball (catcher).

But it's not so bad...

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Some would have you think that you actually use your pinky to fire a bottom button mech... and unless you've got some strong pinky fingers, that's generally not the case. Most use their ring or middle finger.

Some low buck mechs will not make a good electrical contact by pushing the button straight in, they need a up and to the side type pressure for good continuity... they are almost impossible to fire with a pinky finger. These mechs can be improve upon with a bit of modding, but out of the box, $25 mechs can be problematic.

The following are very general comments and certainly not applicable across the board - (see voltage drop testing below)...

A good bottom button typically will have less voltage drop than an equivalent value side button mech... something to consider if you're running sub-ohm attys. The only side buttons I own cost 2-3 times what most of my bottom button mechs do... high quality is a good, but not the only, way to insure minimal voltage drop in a side button.
Not saying side buttons are crap... just that high quality and good engineering is typically a prerequisite to insure good continuity.

See - Voltage drop testing.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Some would have you think that you actually use your pinky to fire a bottom button mech... and unless you've got some strong pinky fingers, that's generally not the case. Most use their ring or middle finger.

Some low buck mechs will not make a good electrical contact by pushing the button straight in, they need a up and to the side type pressure for good continuity... they are almost impossible to fire with a pinky finger. These mechs can be improve upon with a bit of modding, but out of the box, $25 mechs can be problematic.

The following are very general comments and certainly not applicable across the board - (see voltage drop testing below)...

A good bottom button typically will have less voltage drop than an equivalent value side button mech... something to consider if you're running sub-ohm attys. The only side buttons I own cost 2-3 times what most of my bottom button mechs do... high quality is a good, but not the only, way to insure minimal voltage drop in a side button.
Not saying side buttons are crap... just that high quality and good engineering is typically a prerequisite to insure good continuity.

See - Voltage drop testing.

I use my mod in 350 mode a lot and I use my middle finger to fire. Same when it is in 490 mode but sometimes I would fire it with my pinky... But if I am running a 650 battery in there, I think I am hitting it with my pinky...

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I use my mod in 350 mode a lot and I use my middle finger to fire. Same when it is in 490 mode but sometimes I would fire it with my pinky... But if I am running a 650 battery in there, I think I am hitting it with my pinky...
For me, it kinda depends on the topper, the battery/length, the overall weight, how much button resistance (I have all mine set up with fairly firm resistance, so i can stand them on end, with a heavy topper and 18650 without locking) and my general state of mental awareness... i.e. how drunk I am at the time. :)

StrappedKaos

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Raleigh,NC
Tried so many ways to fire the bottom mod...Hated them all and then I was watching a youtube video and found the easiest way for me and I never get tired or sore..... Hard to explain but I will try- so if you make a "ok" sign with your fingers, like with index and thumb around your mod. do it towards the bottom of the mod I would say lower than half way with drip tip pointing up. then tilt the mod back so it lays on the valley/space between index and thumb then use your middle finger to push button while you hold mod tight with index and thumb...I know hard to explain but after adopting this method its the only way I hold my stick in my hand. again more to help pinky peeps than anything else. Strapped

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
I have long fingers so bottom buttons work better for me, aside from the fact that every time I took my side-button mechs out of my pocket, the button would get snagged and I would play hot potato for a few seconds before I dropped it.
Aesthetically I think they are better. Also, given my tinkering nature, bottom buttons are much easier to pull apart should I feel the need to shorten or soften the throw.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

Any finger means sideways pressure and causes pain.
I can use my thumb but in a comfortable shoulder position that lets me know I'll soon have the destroyed thumb joint my brother and sister have.

I can use my thumb like I was aiming it at someone else and then rotate my elbow up to aim it at me but that looks dorky and would be tiring on the shoulder (which are also not doing so great).
I need to invent a lever system to press from the side that activates the bottom. That shouldn't be too hard to figure out and make.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Nice... never thought of that way... works nice.

Another way to describe it is to hold the mod like it's a pen, with the button where the point would be... then rest the button on your middle finger.

Would be a good way for those bottom side button mods too.... but rather than firing with your middle, you use your index.

I might stick to this...

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Nice... never thought of that way... works nice.

Another way to describe it is to hold the mod like it's a pen, with the button where the point would be... then rest the button on your middle finger.

Would be a good way for those bottom side button mods too.... but rather than firing with your middle, you use your index.

I might stick to this...

Thanks. I never could figure out what that method was. Good way of explaining it.
If I hold my finger off to the side a little I can get a pretty straight force on the knuckle.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Just sayin'

P1000727_zps152e9635.jpg

That thumb doesn't even have a joint at the bottom, it's just lashed to the 1st metacarpal (index finger)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread