bottom feeding heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see alot of talk about these but I just bought one. The juice is filled through the bottom on this head, where the head attaches to the battery. once the battery is removed there is another part that unscrews and the head is filled upside down like as opposed to taking off the mouthpiece and filling it through that end. I guess the theory is that the wicks, being small wicks that barely stick out and reside on the very bottom, will always be submerged in liquid.
My question is about the wicks, they are very small and I cant imagine they could hold as much liquid as the longer wicks. I may be ignorant to how the wicks exactly deliver the juice. Does it matter how much volume a wick can hold or is it only a way to transfer a set amount of liquid to another part?
you are welcome to just guess but anyone with firsthand knowledge is preferred. thx for your time.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
wicking, or capillary action of fibrous or porous materials

space between the individual threads and the viscosity and surface tension of the fluid (ever wonder why you can't get that last little bit of juice out of those darn 5ml bottles), as the coils "steam off" from the heat the juice under it the juice pulls itself in to refill the space ready for the next puff, too much or to thin a juice and it starts oozing out and you get the gurgle

kind of like taking a strip of paper towel, putting one end in a puddle then watching as the water tries to soak all the way thru the paper

The "length" of the wick is really not the important part (top feed heads use long wicks so the ends hand down into the juice to actually be able to pull the juice to the coil, bottom feed tanks..well the juice naturally sits in the bottom of the tank)

Last edited:

Justin_Case

Jun 26, 2013
Knoxville
Bottom fed coils are /much/ nicer than the old second gen cartos so have absolutely no doubts about that. Think about this though, if you've ever used the older batten filled cartos you have had the experience of them drying out when speed vaping, even though there is still a lot of liquid spread out over all that wicking or even with juice in your tank. this is because the entire wick has to be saturated for that capillary action to work properly. It also means you are more likely to scald a new one and ruin it when you are trying to get your first hit. The short wicks on the bottom fed coils entirely eliminate both of these problems and last two to three times longer to boot! The short little wicks are awesome because they stay wet to the very end. This means quicker loading, nice vaping, gravity is on your side, and since the wick doesn't often go dry on you it doesnt get burned and over heated so it tastes great and doesn't clog for a long time. Often a quick rinse in hot water will extend the life by 50%. And let's not forget that they are rebuildable if you are so inclined. I've been vaping an Evod on an Ego VV and love it. I've not tried the snaky looking massive wick tanks but if you've been paying attention you already know i'm not sure why I would in the first place. All I can really say is that if you are vaping one of those "infernal" cartomizer tanks with the hole in the side... you're really going third rate and paying twice what you could for better gear.

kimran73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have tried single coil, dual coil, cartomizer and bottom coils (what you are referring to). I like the bottom coils the best but that is my opinion. I don't get the lingering taste of previous liquids like I do with the top coil longer wicks-even after cleaning. I thik they are easier to fill and produce a great vape for me. I plan to stick with these from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread