Bought an evod today...have a couple questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
Well I've been cigarette free for 5 weeks today! All I've used is just what came in my ego-c kit. Just the regular atomizer housing and atomizer with the cartridges. Well for some reason today when I changed that atomizer yet again, it wasn't working well at all. Draws were really hard and I was not getting much vapor at all. I tried 3 different atomizers and was having no luck so I was getting really frustrated. Our first vapor lounge had its grand opening today and is just 3 blocks from my house. The last thing I wanted to do was give in and have a cigarette so I decided I'd go check this new place out and see what I could come up with.
After talking with the owner he recommended an evod. I said screw it and bought one. All I can say is.....WOW! This thing puts out SOO much more vapor than my setup I can't believe it! Yeah the capacity isn't the best, but I ordered an ismoka bcc mega Friday and couldn't wait til then to have a functioning device, so I went ahead and bought it. I do have a couple questions though. First thing, how long do the coils normally last in these? Also is there any maintenance I should be doing with it? Are there certain fluids I should avoid using with it? Where do you recommend I buy new coils from for the best price? I have 1 ego-c twist battery and 3 standard ego batteries. What ohm coils would be best to work with all of my batteries? I'm assuming 2.2ohm? As usual thanks guys! I am very pleased with it so far. I also bought some juice that he mixed up on his own and that is pretty good as well. Pricey though. I also ordered some juice from Mtbakervapor on Friday, so I can't wait for that too!

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
You can run anywhere between 10-30ml of juice through a coil before it starts to lose performance. This depends on the juice's thickness and darkness. Cleaning coils by soaking them in water or vodka/PGA will extend their life, so don't toss them. They are also rebuildable, should you want to take that route.

The only maintenance I do between fills would be to blow out the head to avoid flooding, and just checking the coil to make sure it isn't getting too gunked up or discolored. I also run a q-tip through the center tube/mouthpiece to get rid of any lingering juice to avoid gurgling.

Avoid citrus and cinnamon juices, as these will crack the polycarbonate plastic. Those are best used in pyrex/glass tanks.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Should I soak it in cold or hot water or anything in particular? It's like I'm just finding out what I've been missing this whole time! Do you think 2.2ohm coils would work well with my batteries?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Hot water would be better to break up the gunk. Tap water is fine, but distilled water would be ideal, although not necessary. If you want to get rid of lingering odor or flavor, use vodka or PGA (Everclear). Just be sure to dry them thoroughly. When I pull mine out of the soak, I envelop them in a paper towel and blow through the center tube to get as much moisture out as possible and then I air dry for 24 hours so that they are bone dry.

2.2 ohm is great for regulated eGo batteries, which run at 3.3V. You could even try 1.8 ohm coils just to see if you like those more. I use 1.8 ohm coils on my Twist battery, and for most juices, they work beautifully at 3.2V. There are a couple of juices that work better at 3.6V and 4.2V, but those are outside the norm.

Last edited:

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
Love my evods - been using them for 7 months. Avoid Cola - especially MBV - it killed one of my evods. I agree with the vodka thing - soak your coils in vodka (I also soak the tanks, but some people think that's unnecessary.) The coils will last longer with clearer liquid. Avoid MBV's Salted Caramel - it's a coil killer for sure. My coils last for weeks, but it really depends on the juice and your PV (I use Evics.)

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Do you think 2.2ohm coils would work well with my batteries?

Yes.

With vv mods anything between 2.0 and 3.0 will work well. That's because you can dial in the voltage that suits you. Get your 2.2 ohm coils then find the voltage you like best with them. Once you know that you can figure out what ohm coil will give the same number of watts for your other pv's,
Here is a link to an ohms calculator.
Ohm's Law Calculator

SAG

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
STL
Hi Erikbal. You've been given some good advise here, imho. I do want to add :2c::2c: My coils last on average about 3 weeks with the maintenance I do. Once a week I rinse in hot water or soak in EC, pull the post, remove flavor wicks laying onto of the wrapped coil, dry burn (I can explain DB, if you want), rinse really well. Dry with paper towel, blow out center tube, fill and go. The first couple of vapes may be weak but quickly get me back to goodness! Sounds like a lot of work but actually only takes a couple of minutes. I carry 5-7 clearos/tanks a day so I clean em all once a week.
I use the 2.5Ω coils. If possible get one of each and see what you prefer. I did and the 2.5 works best FOR ME.
Ask your juice supplier if the juice you're looking at is a "tank cracker". Citrus, cinnamon and a couple of others require glass (like a pro tank).
Also, do not over tighten your evod base to the tank OR the tank to your battery. If you suddenly find you're not getting a good vape, slightly loosen the base of the tank or loosen the base on the battery.
And, a good habit to start off is every time you fill, make sure the coil is screwed in tight to the base. Sometimes when you unscrew the base from the tank, the coil can loosen as well.
Happy vaping, enjoy!

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
Wow thanks a lot SAG. I am familiar with dry burning the ego-c atomizers, but am not familiar with how these coils are done. Also you said rinse it water or EC, I assume EC is ever clear? Thanks again! I am really enjoying this thing tonight and am impressed with how long fluid lasts in it. I'm excited to try some different flavors in it too. Right now I'm vaping a strawberry cream that is custom made by the shop I went to. Tastes good and smells good!

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
I noticed every once in a while I am getting a hit that burns the back of my throat. What causes this and what can I do about it? Is this what people describe as a "dry hit"? I didn't notice it happening until I switched batteries. Also should I keep this tank standing up or is it ok to lay it on its side? Thanks again everyone!

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I noticed every once in a while I am getting a hit that burns the back of my throat. What causes this and what can I do about it? Is this what people describe as a "dry hit"? I didn't notice it happening until I switched batteries. Also should I keep this tank standing up or is it ok to lay it on its side? Thanks again everyone!

A dry hit will taste like burnt plastic, sort of. If the hit tastes OK, it might just be a warm hit, which will happen if you are chain vaping and the coil doesn't have time to cool down between hits. You can solve both by taking unpowered pulls, where you suck on it without pressing the button. This will force liquid into the wick and also force air to move over the coil, thereby saturating the wick and cooling the coil in one fell swoop.

If the dry hits are occurring when you are switching to a freshly charged battery, I have to ask: Are your batteries genuine Joyetech? If they are, then they will run the constant 3.3V throughout the charge. If they are not, they may be unregulated, which means that they will come off the charger running at around 4.1-4.2V, and will dwindle down to 3.3-3.4V as they discharge. This means that the first hits you take off the fresh battery will be much warmer and harsher than the last hits.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Here are a couple of links about the tank cracker juices. The Evod is one of them. Just so you are aware. Also, MBV has an article about the juices they sell that are tank crackers, so this way you know what you should avoid while shopping there.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...6-something-safe-cinnamon-citrus-flavors.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/the-ocelot/3786-eeekkk-its-melting.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-juices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos.html

Investing in a protank or protank 2 is a good idea if you want to vape the flavors in the above links.

SAG

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
STL
Yes, EC= everclear. Haha, you say you want to avoid those tank crackers NOW. Tomorrow you might taste a killer "tropical" with orange, pineapple and banana and BOOM! It's gotta buy a tank time! BTW, the replacement coils are the same for the evod and pro tanks if you do end up "needing" a glass tank!
If you want to switch similar flavors, no problem but if they are very different, do a quick EC rinse to get the old flavor out first.
Dry burn - Probably easier to watch a video then for me to type it out lol:
How to Clean & Dry Burn Kanger EVOD & MT3's - YouTube
I don't do the q tip stuff, blablabla, but you'll get the gist of it in this video. Make sure you rinse it good after a dry burn or your coil will taste burnt!

Last edited:

bludogg

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Arizona
Lots of good advice here. EVODs are pretty great clearomizers. You can remove a wick for better flavor with heavier juices and as others have said are relatively painless to clean and reuse. Hot water rinse, immerse in vodka for a couple minutes, take apart and air dry over night, DB the next day and you are all set to go. The heads are cheap as dirt too. The 1.8 ohm Kanger heads actually clock in around 2.0/2.1 ohms and work well on a spinner or basic ego, and I'd recommend them over the 2.5 ohm heads (always clock in 2.7-2.8 ohms). Better flavor, though it will cost you some battery life between charges. If you have a chance the next time you are purchasing EVOD heads, give the ARO heads a chance. The coils are more consistent and the wicks are a little nicer (3 finer flavor wicks as opposed to 2 kinda clunky ones that come with the Kanger heads). The 1.8ohm ARO heads also come in at 1.8ohms (nice, right?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread