Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
TESLA TC 200W
Asolo 200W TC
sigelei 150 TC
SnowWolf 200 Watt TC

I only put the tesla ahead of the Asolo because of price
all of them should have/be able to power almost everything you want to do
(note: if you are doing crazy coil builds... super low ohms, or clapton dual twisted alien frying pan etc... put the Sigelei above the Asolo)

but any/all of these are good Mods... IMO... 8)

benjamminj

Nov 12, 2015
MN
Yes, all of these are good.... however all of them are simple V/W Box Mods on Kanthal wire... ie... only Ni and Ti wire is use in the temp control modes....

BUT... The Asolo 200 W TC does the same on Ni and Ti, PLUS a dry hit provention on Kanthal wire and stainless .....
It was tagged to be at about 165$ when it hit to market... but so many ppl just could not believe that it actually worked (considering all the lying/issues over the M80 from smok) that
there are a few places that have cut the price just to get it rolling out the door...

I have one... and let me be the first to say that it works... and works great.... You may not be able to throw crazy low builds on it... but it will handle down to .5 ohms on kanthal and do it while keeping you from getting dry hits and a mouth full of burnt cotton... and I am absolutely able to throw a clouds like to pro's with coils at .5 all the way to 1.5 ohms on this Box... Add in the snowwolf was going for 200 when it came out... and the Dna 200 is somewhere around there I think... I don't see how you can bet this box or price... ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381408214394?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 492933
Howdy! What kind of batteries are you using? I am new to removable battery mods and I am wondering if the lg 18650 hg2 3000 mah 20 amp continuous discharge is good enough? One thing I don't know is when you have 2 batteries does that double the amp discharge? So 2 20 amps is giving me 40 amps continuous discharge? Thank you for your time.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Those are very good choices if you want a variable wattage. Honestly, Im in the market for a box as well but I think Im gonna get a unregulated box mod. 2 batteries, thats double the amperage and voltage, handles pretty much any build, and will probably make a sunny day a little less sunny!
depends on how the batteries are set up... parallel doubles the amps but the volts stay the same, series doubles the volts but the amps are the same as 1 battery. you cant get 2X the volts and 2X the amps together in a dual battery mech.

thedeval

Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
How about the mah? does that get doubled in any of those configurations? Sounds like I should go with a higher amp battery since that will not get doubled in the Asolo 200w, like the vtc4 with 30 amps instead of the lg h2 with 20 amps. The reason I am going for the Asolo is because I want dry hit prevention on Kanthal and Stainless steel.

lg 18650 hg2 3000 mah is the same as what I use... (mine is the samsung version) both, are great batteries...

yes, the vtc4 has a higher amp... but... it will also not last as long in the mod because of the lower storage capacity... (2400 or 2500 mah)

what this really means is you would have to change and charge more often... (up to you?)

I run my box with 24 gauge kanthal with an avg of .8 ohms on the coil... to make that heat up and give me the nice heated (almost hot) vapor I like, I push about 40 watts which on "AVG" means I drop about 6 to 7 amps on the coil each time I fire it...

that "6 or 7 amps" does not, and will not change regardless which battery type you put in... the LG hg2 and my samsung's can go up to 10 amps... so I still have headroom... and by running the 3000 mah 's over the vtc4's, I only change the batteries like twice a day... (first thing in morning, and right as I leave work...) how much you burn through will also make a big impact on how long you get... as well as your build...

I go through on AVG... about 3 to 4 tanks a day...

also... keep in mind that if you are using smaller gauge wire... ie, 28 ish on your coils... you will need a much lower amp to heat them up... something like 3 or 4 amps.... and that will make the batteries last much longer... like twice as long... ish... haha

hope that at least gives you a baseline to go off...

Last edited:

benjamminj

Nov 12, 2015
MN
lg 18650 hg2 3000 mah is the same as what I use... (mine is the samsung version) both, are great batteries...

yes, the vtc4 has a higher amp... but... it will also not last as long in the mod because of the lower storage capacity... (2400 or 2500 mah)

what this really means is you would have to change and charge more often... (up to you?)

I run my box with 24 gauge kanthal with an avg of .8 ohms on the coil... to make that heat up and give me the nice heated (almost hot) vapor I like, I push about 40 watts which on "AVG" means I drop about 6 to 7 amps on the coil each time I fire it...

that "6 or 7 amps" does not, and will not change regardless which battery type you put in... the LG hg2 and my samsung's can go up to 10 amps... so I still have headroom... and by running the 3000 mah 's over the vtc4's, I only change the batteries like twice a day... (first thing in morning, and right as I leave work...) how much you burn through will also make a big impact on how long you get... as well as your build...

I go through on AVG... about 3 to 4 tanks a day...

also... keep in mind that if you are using smaller gauge wire... ie, 28 ish on your coils... you will need a much lower amp to heat them up... something like 3 or 4 amps.... and that will make the batteries last much longer... like twice as long... ish... haha

hope that at least gives you a baseline to go off...

You answered a LOT of stuff I was wondering about. Thanks for taking the time outta your morning to do that. Much appreciated!

So you run under the .3mm diameter recommended coil for kanthal and the dry hit mode still works well for you? If so that is frickin great to know as I like to go lower on ohms and I feel better about using bigger wire for some reason. I dunno maybe that will change once I actually build a coil!

Right now I use the isub apex with .2 stock kanthal coils and the uwell crown with the .5 stock ss dual coils on mpv 3 pro at about 42 watts for the isub and 60 for the crown (that's all the further it goes). I go through like 15 ml or more juice a day. I take shorter hits like 1.5-2 seconds and chain vape, or sometimes take like 3+ second hits and vape less often. The mpv lasts all day before it goes from green to yellow.

I already ordered the vtc4's because I was afraid of not having the right amount of amps so I played it safe. I also have the Asolo on the way along with the Coil master v2 diy kit, and the crown RBA. I have held off on getting wire until I heard more about whether or not I really needed to stick to that .3mm or lower wire size and still have the dry hit mode work.

I was looking at steam engine trying to figure some stuff out and I was really surprised at how few wraps are used in a lowish ohm build with like 30 gauge wire....seems dangerous or something to me. I can't wait to start building my own coils and experimenting.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

benjamminj

Nov 12, 2015
MN
You can snag a Snow Wolf for a Franklin. I love mine. I put a Fishbone on it, coiled .3 with twisted 28 ga kanthal, and was blowing cloud at 70 watts.

I am interested in the dry hit function for Kanthal and SS. That's why I went with the Asolo. That snow wolf has a cool looking screen though! I don't know enough about Ni to start getting into that but I figured with the Asolo the option will always be there for me later if I go that route.

Does that hat effect your ohms rating at all?

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I am interested in the dry hit function for Kanthal and SS. That's why I went with the Asolo. That snow wolf has a cool looking screen though! I don't know enough about Ni to start getting into that but I figured with the Asolo the option will always be there for me later if I go that route.

Does that hat effect your ohms rating at all?
Nickel is not all that hard to do. The biggest adjustment I had to make was learning how to wind spaced coils and not shuddering in horror when my ohmmeter read .015 or so. FYI, the dry hit function-- I assume you mean temp control-- will not work with resistance wire like Kanthal. You have to use Nickel or, on some mods, Titanium. The software is set up for the temp characteristics of those metals. And no, the hat is to stop bad thought about cheap batteries from entering my brain :)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
.015 holy shnikes! The Asolo does not do true "temp control" on kanthal or ss but it does have a pretty cool "dry hit prevention" thing going on that I am really interested in. Here are a few vids that I like a lot.

Yeah, it's scary :) The Ni and the Ti wires are not resistance wires. They're *very* conductive. But the TC function on the mods-- or at least on mine, I have a Snow Wolf box and an SX Mini M-- really does work, and they don't blow up. Or not yet...

Adam8705

Nov 17, 2015
I own the following box mods:
SnowWolf 200W V1.5 - Hits hard, kinda heavy in weight, smaller in size than I expected $100-$150
Sigelei 150W - Ive dropped this mod probably 30 times and it is still working, works very well $80-$100
Sigelei 150W TC - gets very dirty easily, kind of a weird menu navigation $90-$120
IPV 4S - very nice mod for the price (less than $100) same menu as the sigelei $75-$100
Smok XCube II - hits like a ton of bricks! ex. I run a tank on 45w on any of the above devices, I have to turn the Xcube II down at least 10w. Great price, great features, looks really nice. $80-$120
Wismec Evolv Releaux DNA200 TC - uses 3 18650 batteries, one of the first (if not the only) DNA200 device to use 18650 batteries. (most use built in batteries) $???

Other than that I would recommend a "hex ohm" mod ($190) if you are looking at a rda type box mod. I have two that I use frequently for strictly cloud chasing. probably the hardest hitting off all of these listed. Has a misfit protection and a small potentiometer to adjust the power.

I have other boxes also but these are cost effective and user/newbie friendly. (I'm not calling you a newbie) these are cheap enough to try and see if it is for you. All listed are dual 18650 boxes and all are under $200

Hope this helps you out... good luck and happy vaping....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread