Boxer mods dye and mech bf 510 connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Hi all,

Curious if anyone knows which 510 the boxer bf mech mod is using ? It has a very large contact “collar” Unfortunately that 510 design isn’t great if you dissemble frequently to clean, the tiny collar screw strips extremely easily and I can’t seem to find that one tiny screw, weirdly. I’m also in Europe so trying to get parts from ginger wouldn’t be cost effective.

Second to that, and about more than just the mech bf, has anyone dyed their boxer back to glory? Maybe it was living in a sunny place but they certainly faded quickly for me and I have a few I’d like to get back to black. In the case of the mech it’s easy enough to dunk, or I can “paint on”. If necessary I can take apart the regulated too but meh.

Cheers!

Last edited:

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Hi all,

Curious if anyone knows which 510 the boxer bf mech mod is using ? It has a very large contact “collar” Unfortunately that 510 design isn’t great if you dissemble frequently to clean, the tiny collar screw strips extremely easily and I can’t seem to find that one tiny screw, weirdly. I’m also in Europe so trying to get parts from ginger wouldn’t be cost effective.

Second to that, and about more than just the mech bf, has anyone dyed their boxer back to glory? Maybe it was living in a sunny place but they certainly faded quickly for me and I have a few I’d like to get back to black. In the case of the mech it’s easy enough to dunk, or I can “paint on”. If necessary I can take apart the regulated too but meh.

Cheers!

Sorry, can't help on the BF510, I got the boxer squonk as well and my 510 is not having contact problems as well. I was never that crazy about it anyway, definitely a purchase I regret.

As far as dyeing it back you have to use a synthetic or poly dye like either of these brands. The proper way to do it is to disassemble the mod removing the 510 and chip and boiling it in the solution. I wasn't about to do that so I just brushed it on and let it sit and reapply as necessary until you get the color you want. You then have to wipe it down really good and use a protectant like Armor All to help stop fading, it will fade again.

iDye Poly.jpg
RIT synthetic.jpg

Still, some of the dye will rub off on your hands for a few days doing it the way I did it. To combat that I just decided to retire both my Boxer mods, too much hassle for an overpriced POS.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Thanks. That’s the dye I bought. I haven’t done it yet. I’m still trying to find the right 510 but I have it working ok for now. It is a very expensive mod for what it is but I do like the size and weight. Since it’s a mech it’s pretty simple to dye back the right way as disassembly only takes about a minute - not as easy for my old regulated twin battery boxer which I’ll probably brush on.

The one I really don’t like is the dns 75 that requires the rubber exterior. It’s too big and gets stuck in the pocket - the dna 75 chip is probably the worst dna chip IMO they could have used given the crap factor of 26650 batteries. The old twin mod was good but the usb never worked on two chips, so no updates possible.

What is it that you’re not liking besides the fading?

Reactions: mjag

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
My main problem is the fading, too expensive to suffer that IMO and they won't see another cent from me. The 510 problems are common as well, not just for you and me, unacceptable at this price point. My first Boxer dual 18650 still works fine but the battery door doesn't fit as well anymore. Overall the quality of the mods is unacceptable at this price point. Sure they were unique for the time but have been surpassed at lower price points by other companies. The Dovpo Riva DNA250S is a classier and overall better-built mod than my dual 18650 Boxer and only cost me about $100 brand new.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Unfortunately rebel mods are even more expensive. To me they’re what boxer should have been. Tighter tolerance, no fading. Slightly better looking in most cases. But- agin- even more money.

It’s a lot for a 3D print. May as well find/make a good design and go with shape ways or something

Reactions: mjag
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread