"Breaking in" coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fajar

Mar 27, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, i didn't know where else to post it

When reading reviews on tanks and their coils, I often read about people saying how long it takes to break in a coil.. What do they mean by that? Does it mean how long it takes for coil to reach its prime condition?
Surely it doesn't mean bustingnthe coil,right? Lol,,

Thanks a bunch!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, i didn't know where else to post it

When reading reviews on tanks and their coils, I often read about people saying how long it takes to break in a coil.. What do they mean by that? Does it mean how long it takes for coil to reach its prime condition?
Surely it doesn't mean bustingnthe coil,right? Lol,,

Thanks a bunch!

Breaking a coil in is gradual. Not so much the coil being broken in, but getting the actual wicking to work at optimal performance as far as how fast it can wick, how much juice it wicks, and how hot it can withstand it. Fresh wicking is dry, so you have to prime it properly, after this you gradually break it in at stages starting lower wattage then gradually step up the power every few minutes so it gets saturated and flows liquid as quick as possible.

This process can take anywhere from a half hour to half a day, once nothing but flavor and not the taste of metal or wicking is in the vapor you are tasting, get a burnt hit or scorched harsh hit or start to get a harsh flavor, back the power down, every juice, every coil, every person that is vaping are different and have their own sweet spots, once at that point the coil should keep up with this no problem, there in the coil is fully broken in and at its sweet spot.

hth explain it.

Vyrgg

Sep 4, 2015
Hey hey.
When replacing a coil start at a lower wattage and start increasing clowly over the course of a tank to your desired wattage. This allows the cotton to become properly saturated and the coil "accustomed" to the wattage you'll be running it at. This process is called bedding a coil. It can be very noticeable or not so depending on the tank but I tend to do the same process regardless.

Reactions: Fajar

Fajar

Mar 27, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
Ooh i get it now! So even though some coils provide the optimal wattage range, i should still start from the bottom until I find a satisfying setting my personal taste then.
By properly "breaking in coils", does the process prolong the coils lifespan? I mean, compared to popping in a coil and blasting it at the highest wattage recommended.

Oh, and if my previous coil's sweetspot was like at 25watts, and popped in a new perf (same type) , would it be wise to redo the priming process or can I hit at 25watts and still expect the same satisfying perfromance?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Ooh i get it now! So even though some coils provide the optimal wattage range, i should still start from the bottom until I find a satisfying setting my personal taste then.
By properly "breaking in coils", does the process prolong the coils lifespan? I mean, compared to popping in a coil and blasting it at the highest wattage recommended.

Oh, and if my previous coil's sweetspot was like at 25watts, and popped in a new perf (same type) , would it be wise to redo the priming process or can I hit at 25watts and still expect the same satisfying perfromance?

Yes, each coil needs to be properly primed and gradually broken in, as I said you have to get the wicking saturated and capable of flowing juice as fast as it can. Though there are a few short cuts like soaking a new coil in the juice it will be wicking ahead of time in the juice bottle before use will properly saturate the coil without flooding. But still the gradual step into the max watts it can handle or max sweet spot does prolong its life over priming and just slapping it in at the already set wattage of the old coil.

Reactions: Baditude

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
+1. You should break in each new coil. If your coil is rated 20-40 watts, for example, start at 15 watts for a few hits, then ease it up to the wattage you prefer. Yes, this can prolong the lifespan.

It will also reduce the risk of having a small amount of cotton burn away from the start, leading to possible leakage down the road as there is less cotton in the coil and the juice can seep through. Cheers.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread