Brew Rite Atomizer Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardpack

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2009
Reno, Nev.
Apologies for yet another cleaner method. This worked so well for me I had to share it. I had an atomizer that was so hard to draw it was basically ‘dead’. Steaming, cola, denture cleaner and others had zero effect. I noticed Brew Rite automatic coffee pot cleaner in Wal-Mart. Under 6 dollars for 8 ozs. I used about 1/10th of a teaspoon in hot water. After sitting and the occasional shake for 15 hrs. it was rinsed VERY thoroughly, blown out and dried . I took a couple of dry hits and a few more with glycerin without inhaling just in case. The draw was as good as new. I used that atomizer for a few more weeks until it wouldn’t draw. Repeated the process and had the same results. I’ve found my Nirvana as far as cleaning goes. The atomizer is a 901. Don’t have a clue if this will work on others but it might be worth a try.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Apologies for yet another cleaner method. This worked so well for me I had to share it. I had an atomizer that was so hard to draw it was basically ‘dead’. Steaming, cola, denture cleaner and others had zero effect. I noticed Brew Rite automatic coffee pot cleaner in Wal-Mart. Under 6 dollars for 8 ozs. I used about 1/10th of a teaspoon in hot water. After sitting and the occasional shake for 15 hrs. it was rinsed VERY thoroughly, blown out and dried . I took a couple of dry hits and a few more with glycerin without inhaling just in case. The draw was as good as new. I used that atomizer for a few more weeks until it wouldn’t draw. Repeated the process and had the same results. I’ve found my Nirvana as far as cleaning goes. The atomizer is a 901. Don’t have a clue if this will work on others but it might be worth a try.

Hi hardpack ..Doe's it tell you what chemicals are in it?.....I can't seem to find the stuff over here in the UK....so I am wondering what chemicals it uses.

Last edited:

MVP

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
MN,USA
I found this:
Product Details:

4+ Cleanings. For all automatic drip and espresso machines. Cleans better than vinegar. Removes hidden deposits. Improves brewing time. Non-acidic - No harmful residue. Cleans and removes mineral deposits & bitter coffee oils. Your machine will consistently provide cafe quality coffee & espresso while running more efficiently. Works on all types of machines: automatic drip; espresso/cappuccino; percolator; urns, etc. Brew Rite cleaner is safe for all parts of your machine and will leave no harmful residues. Made in USA.
Ingredients:

Contains: Sodium Carbonate.
Warnings:

Irritant harmful if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes and prolonged contact with skin. In case of eye contact, flush freely with water. If swallowed, give water and call physician.
Directions:

Mixing ratio - 1 tablespoon: 4 cups water. 1. Fill the coffee or espresso brew pot with cool water. 2. Add one tablespoon of Brew Rite Cleaner for every 4 cups of water. Stir until completely dissolved. 3. Pour into water reservoir, brew and discard. Note: Do not pour undissolved or dry product into reservoir. 4. To rinse, brew full pot of fresh water through the machine three times. 5. Depending on machine use, repeat every 2-4 weeks. 6. Rinse brew pot and funnel. Ready for use. Consistent use ensures shorter brew cycles and great tasting coffee. To clean milk frothing wand: Immerse wand into a warm Brew Rite Cleaner solution for approx. 1 minute, wipe clean & rinse (Extremely soiled wands may require longer soaking period). To remove hard water deposits & coffee oils from serving containers: Soak a warm Brew Rite Cleaner solution in each container for 5-10 minutes, wipe clean & rinse. Moisten a towel with the Brew Rite Cleaner solution to wipe the exterior of your machine clean.
Product Description:

Brew Rite Cleaner 8 oz.

Hardpack

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2009
Reno, Nev.
I don't believe Brew Rite is the same as baking soda. They sure smell different and I would never put Brew Rite in a cake. The ingredient listed for my baking soda says only Sodium Bicarbonate And the Brew Rite only lists Sodium Bicarbonate. I guarantee they are much different though. Wikipedia says Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda, soda crystals or soda ash. Sodium carbonate is also used as a relatively strong base in various settings. In taxidermy, sodium carbonate added to boiling water will remove flesh from the skull or bones of trophies to create the "European skull mount" or for educational display in biological and historical studies. Washing Soda, Soda crystals or Sal Soda[2] in the detergent section of stores, it effectively removes oil, grease, and alcohol stains. Sodium carbonate is also used as a descaling agent in boilers such as found in coffee pots, espresso machines, etc.

walkstheplanes

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
South San Francisco
Thanks for the clarification, Hardpack!

That makes sense. From the wiki, it looks like it's a difference of Sodium Bicarbonate vs. Sodium Carbonate.

Regardless, I've used Baking Soda as Brew Rite is used (pots, pans, coffee stains), so hopefully all turns out well.

So far, I can only guess that it's working. Since I started soaking it last night, the liquid I've submersed the atomizers in has turned yellow (possibly from un-gunked juices that I was unable to get out before cleaning, but hopefully some of the color change is from break up of the actual gunk). Also of note are a few black specks that have appeared in the liquid, which I can only hope is built up gunk coming off.

Tonight, after a very thorough rinse, I'll see if the atomizers are behaving better than they used to.

Honestly, I'd rather wash with Baking Soda rather than Vinegar like everyone else is doing, as baking soda smells nicer, haha. Yes, I understand that the two are very different (Baking Soda acts like a Base, whereas Vinegar is diluted Acetic Acid).

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Hi hardpack ..Doe's it tell you what chemicals are in it?.....I can't seem to find the stuff over here in the UK....so I am wondering what chemicals it uses.

I use OxyClean, good to clean coffee makers too, and I have soaked attys in it, they were still dead. Only two, in fairness.

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA
I don't believe Brew Rite is the same as baking soda. They sure smell different and I would never put Brew Rite in a cake. The ingredient listed for my baking soda says only Sodium Bicarbonate And the Brew Rite only lists Sodium Bicarbonate. I guarantee they are much different though. Wikipedia says Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda, soda crystals or soda ash. Sodium carbonate is also used as a relatively strong base in various settings. In taxidermy, sodium carbonate added to boiling water will remove flesh from the skull or bones of trophies to create the "European skull mount" or for educational display in biological and historical studies. Washing Soda, Soda crystals or Sal Soda[2] in the detergent section of stores, it effectively removes oil, grease, and alcohol stains. Sodium carbonate is also used as a descaling agent in boilers such as found in coffee pots, espresso machines, etc.

Hardpack ~ I have 25 lbs of soda ash for making tie-dyed shirts. I'll never make enough of them to use all of this. I'll look tomorrow at the rest of the ingredients to make sure there is nothing else in it. Do you think it would be okay to try on a dead or nasty atty, so long as there are no other chemicals?

Thanks for the tip! I need something simple to try......:oops:

walkstheplanes

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
South San Francisco
Post Baking Soda:

So I rinsed the crap out of the atomizer after the 24 hour soak, and I flushed some liquid in it that I didn't care for (I put in maybe 5-10 drops then blew it through so there wouldn't be any more pure water in it). I filled up a fresh cart and primed the atomizer with some vanilla.

Initially, it didn't hit so well, but after maybe a dozen or so draws, this thing is hitting like new. It's pretty nice. Time will tell how long it lasts, though, as I'm sure the baking soda didn't get all the gunk that was in here. It's nice having a good atomizer, even if it is for only a little while.

edit: So I did this with two of my atomizers. One is chugging away just fine. The other is having a few issues (ie. it's out cold).

Well, I'll try something else next time. In the mean time, I've ordered a ton of atomizers, and I'll experiment with each at the end of their lifetimes.

Last edited:

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I tried the Brew-Rite coffee pot cleaner last night and was impressed! I tried it on a not-too-dirty atomizer and still got a bunch of little particles floating around after about an hour. I took the atty out and let it dry overnight. I tried it this morning before getting any liquid on it and it was like pulling on a blank cart. I'm sold on this stuff.

patgwashere

Apr 2, 2009
Hi Guys went to walmart and they did not have brew rite. Its not on walmarts website either. I did a google on it and cant find it anywhere. Does anyone know where to get some?

I have only one worry. While I was looking for Brew rite I came across a web site with a coffee pot cleaner named CDC. It said safe to use on all materials except aluminum. Question is do our e cigs contain any aluminum in the atomizer frame? If so is brew rite safe to use with aluminum? The website did not list the ingredients so im not sure that this CDC cleaner is the same as brew rite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread