The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Building Series Box Mod

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by Owen gray, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Owen gray

Owen gray Full Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Im building a series box mod, and i will be using two 18650 40 A batteries, what gauge wire should i use? i was thinking 10 gauge, would it make a difference if i wanted to throw in some 20 A batteries (would the 10 gauge not work or something odd). im trying to figure out the best gauge wire

2. SupplyDaddy

SupplyDaddy I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Are you just throwing this mod together out of your head? If not, what do the plans for this mod suggest?

16 to 14 gauge is the normal recommended gauge wire for internal wiring of a mod.

Now, if you're talking about the coils.. Nah.. try 24 or 26 ;)

3. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    There are no 40amp 18650s.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Imho anything over 12g is gratuitous. People talk about low impedance etc.. but the actual numbers are ridiculously small.

As to the batteries I strongly suggest you read Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Your 40amp statement implies you are sorely misinformed about batteries.

5. Owen gray

Owen gray Full Member

Jun 17, 2018
    It says 40A on my batteries

6. Owen gray

Owen gray Full Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Okay, what I wired 2 18650s that are both 20A, would 14 be the optimal choice? I’m not planning on a mosfet or anything, just batteries to button to 510. Or should I go 12G to be safe?

7. Owen gray

Owen gray Full Member

Jun 17, 2018
  8. Owen gray

Owen gray Full Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Read a little bit online, it’s a 40A pulse discharge and 15A Continous so I’m right but I’m also wrong

9. SupplyDaddy

SupplyDaddy I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Actually, if you want to be safe, just stop!
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. Owen gray

Owen gray Full Member

Jun 17, 2018
    If done properly and proper precautions are used i will be fine. I just need some help to decide what gauge wire would work best.

11. laurie9300

laurie9300 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    No mosfet? I'm starting to worry about what switch you are using too?

There is no switch rated above 10A that is smaller than a shoe box.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yes. It’s lying to you. Again, read Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum rewrap battery amp inflation is very common.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Owen gray

Owen gray Full Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I got the idea from a person I follow on IG, she does them and I was looking at the wiring and didn’t see a mosfet, I can always double check it but I’m pretty sure there wasn’t one

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Northbound :(
    What will be the total length of the wiring? How much current will you push through that wiring? How much voltage drop will you consider to be acceptable? Look up the resistance per foot of the wiring gauges you are considering and calculate the voltage drop each one will produce over the length of wire you will have.

Yeppers. The switch tends to be the weak point in a mech mod. And it's worse in a series mod because the arc that inevitably forms when you open the switch will stretch considerably further before it extinguishes at 8.4V than at 4.2V. This gives it more time to burn/pit the contacts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. laurie9300

laurie9300 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Burning and pitting is one thing.....It's welding that worries me, especially if the open is considering an "off the shelf" button......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.