Built a Nicostick now I need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoyed

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2009
I built my first nicostick last night. I am using a Radio Shack box with a AAA x 2 battery holder. I have put everything together and I have juice going to the post. ( I do not have a voltage tester so I don't know how much) I have ordered two of the Trustfire batteries to go in the box but they have not come in yet so, being the impatient person I am, I put two rechargeable AAA batts in the box. There is very little vapor production from this setup is it because of the voltage on the rechargeable AAAs or is there something else I should check?

FlipnOut

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Greenville, SC
2x rechargeable AAA's provide about 3.4 volts at maximum charge, and don't handle rapid discharge well. Sounds like it's together correctly. Next time you're near a Harbor Freight, grab a multimeter. They're cheap, and will give you a much better feel for what's going on.

Edit: Disregard the above, for some reason my mind was thinking 1.5V as the base per battery, plus .2v for charge overhead. Correct figures are below in post 4 by Marctwo.

Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

Marctwo

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
U.K
A fresh NiMH gives me a little over 1.4V so 2 in series will give you ~2.8V. At that level you should get a bit of vapour. You may even find it usable but it wouldn't be great.

2 fresh 10440s in series will give you 8.4V. The effect of the switch should be negligible. How an 8.4V, 350mha battery pack will behave at 1.5A I don't know... but it probably won't be very desirable.

I'd mod the holder so the batteries are in parallel.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
If you looking to get around 5 volts, which is considered by some the sweet spot, you will need to add a regulator. Personally 8 volts would be too much for the vapor and for the atty. The atty may work but probably not for long. If you don't have regulator handy, it might be a good idea to connect batteries in parallel as Marctwo suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread