Burning Eyes. Flavor or nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
Hello everybody

I do mix my own juice since more than a Year. Since about 2 Weeks my eyes burns sometimes. I vape a lot. I tried eye drops which helps a little. Next week I have an appointment at the eye doctor.

I run out of several flavors which forced me to vape one particular juice and variants from it. Can't wait for the new delivery.

I got tired of the juices and vaped just 100% VG without nicotine. Actually it's quite delicious. Right now my room is quite foggy. But my eyes doesn't feel dry or burning. They are quite relaxed.

Maybe someone experienced something similar? I guess it's a particular flavor which causes the symptoms, rather than the nicotine.

I'll later add some nicotine to the VG and see what happen. I always used the same brand of nicotine.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I always figured when my eyes started stinging it meant that I had had enough nic and the session was over.
Kinda sounds like Im joking but Im kinda not. Its exactly how I vaped for a while, eyes started stinging and I would put the vape down and go back to it 2hrs or so later.
I havnt had that since I dropped to 3mg unless Ive sat working my way through new rta's/rda's/tanks/mods etc and gone through a lot of juice
I dont vape flavours or PG so it only leaves nic or VG that causes it.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Michael_S, does your Nicotine have a PG base?

I'm thinking that you may have developed PG sensitivity, and a majority of flavorings contain PG due to it being a better flavour carrier. But you will have to discuss this further with a health care professional.

Or if you're willing to try it, you could try vaping a small quantity of pure PG and see if it causes your symptoms.

Either way I do hope that you get things sorted out, best of luck.

• Agree

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
The nicotine is based on PG. So the flavors.

I'll reduce the nicotine anyway. From 4mg to 2.5mg or 3mg.

For now the the symptoms are better. I didn't vape as much im use too. Less dry and no burning at all.

The last health care professional I told that I stopped smoking and started vaping considered vaping as smoking .

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Could be something in your juice, but have you checked how bad the pollen is by you? It’s been bad here, even bothering me which it usually doesn’t.

Not a bad idea to try eliminating stuff from your juice though, can’t hurt. Also, you might try one of those gel eye drops. Really feels gross, all slimy in the eyes, but it sure seems to do the trick.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
First of all, sorry for the funny response. There isn't a facepalm unfortunately.

As it was the opinion on vaping from a health care professional that got me.

But as you've said already, when using VG. Your issues subside, so it's definitely seeming as though you have a PG sensitivity.

Also PG is hygroscopic, which in English means that it absorbs water. Which is why when vaping it's advisable to increase your liquid intake to prevent you from drying out.

So a good idea now would be to get some Nicotine with 100% VG base and cut it with your VG to get the appropriate mg/ml for yourself. And if doesn't wick effectively, you can always use a little Distilled Water to thin it so that it wicks better.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um.... nobody knows what it is yet. I am PG sensitive and don't have burning eyes when I vape it (granted I am a MTL smoker) but eyes are funny things. They just are. Also, this person is JUST starting his vape elimination diet. He may add back in Every Single Thing and just be fine, because a) eyes are weird and b) it could have just been too much of one juice with a slightly irritating edge to it.

Don't stop now and say PG sensitivity! You are nowhere near that point.A
Anna

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Um.... nobody knows what it is yet. I am PG sensitive and don't have burning eyes when I vape it (granted I am a MTL smoker) but eyes are funny things. They just are. Also, this person is JUST starting his vape elimination diet. He may add back in Every Single Thing and just be fine, because a) eyes are weird and b) it could have just been too much of one juice with a slightly irritating edge to it.

Don't stop now and say PG sensitivity! You are nowhere near that point.A
Anna
Ya. I am pg sensitive and dont use it but I still get stinging eyes if I vape to much. I only use VG/DW/nic

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it. There are indeed a lot of pollen activities here in my region. It would be the first time in my life that it causes such symptoms. Three days ago it was rainy and my eye felt better. I'll update as soon I know more about Let's see what the eye doctor finds

Would be a bummer if I developed a PG sensitivity since there is a decent flavor delivery on the way :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No allergies that I'm aware of it.
Quickest way to test for an allergy i personally know of is to pop an antihistamine or two and see if it goes away. One can develop allergies throughout life. I didn’t used to be allergic to ragweed, now I am. There also appears to be some sort of tree or something that blooms for a few days mid spring that causes me horrible annoyance for about 3 days. Started about 5 years ago.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Ugh. I gotta take it back about the eye thing. I wear contacts.

Hence a line of poetry, "She never cries while chopping onions... Not one generous tear will fall."

But apart from that yea, I NEVER get burning eyes. My boxes say they are gas permeable but I think they mean TEAR gas or something.

Also I seriously think I need to see the eye doctor, like going blind really. Something.

But it's possible PG might make my eyes burn.

On the plus side, you can get COLORED contacts of your choice , and vape in peace maybe.

I would go for the color "red" but I've never been offered it.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ugh. I gotta take it back about the eye thing. I wear contacts.

Hence a line of poetry, "She never cries while chopping onions... Not one generous tear will fall."

But apart from that yea, I NEVER get burning eyes. My boxes say they are gas permeable but I think they mean TEAR gas or something.

Also I seriously think I need to see the eye doctor, like going blind really. Something.

But it's possible PG might make my eyes burn.

On the plus side, you can get COLORED contacts of your choice , and vape in peace maybe.

I would go for the color "red" but I've never been offered it.

Anna
Haven’t dealt with contacts for some years but iirc “gas permeable” means hard contacts. They’re rarely used but are required for some vision ailments. in general they suck kinda bad. Amongst other issues they’re expensive and need to be cleaned a lot. I’m out of date on contacts though. I found I have little use for em.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think gas permeable means oxygen gets into your eye, actually.

Mine are soft. I have never worn hard contacts, and from the sounds of things I don't want to.

I may need to get bifocal contacts if my stupid OTHER type of vision keeps it up. I don't know how to read the microwave instructions anymore. Sigh.

I would wear hard contacts if they were red. Any second now, I'm gonna grab my "pineapple chicken" dish and watch GREYS ANATOMY.

Probably right then evil doc's boss with call.

Sigh.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think gas permeable means oxygen gets into your eye, actually.

Mine are soft. I have never worn hard contacts, and from the sounds of things I don't want to.

I may need to get bifocal contacts if my stupid OTHER type of vision keeps it up. I don't know how to read the microwave instructions anymore. Sigh.

I would wear hard contacts if they were red. Any second now, I'm gonna grab my "pineapple chicken" dish and watch GREYS ANATOMY.

Probably right then evil doc's boss with call.

Sigh.

Anna
Colored contacts only really work if they’re not transparent. Generally there is some sort of paint stencil on them.

They make a lot of wild colored contacts but they’re generally non prescription and actually seeing out of them is sort of secondary. The ones that make your eyes totally black are particularly bad. They’re huge so they’re a pain to put in, and the only transparent part is right in the center where your iris is. The result is generally tunnel vision or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread