Burning in throat from vaping lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtney Rose

Apr 1, 2018
I've been vaping for a few months and I've never had this problem until a couple weeks ago. Recently, I've been having a burning sensation in my throat when I vape. It's definitely not the coil because I primed a new coil, let it sit overnight so the wick could soak, and tried again. I still had the burning sensation. I tried moving the wattage up and down, I even tried to just not vape for a few days to see if it would help, and still, the burning sensation was there. The juices I have are all 70VG (6mg nicotine) and are all from the brand Juishy, and I'm using an eleaf istick Pico. I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I don't have burning in my throat at all when I'm not vaping, it's only when I try to vape which is confusing me.

Ahhh it sounded like all the time. Weird. No change in juice vendors or pg/vg ratio or anything you can think of? Are you dehydrated at all?

Courtney Rose

Apr 1, 2018
Ahhh it sounded like all the time. Weird. No change in juice vendors or pg/vg ratio or anything you can think of? Are you dehydrated at all?
I've been using this juice brand for a couple of months and this just started happening recently. It's 70VG, and I've heard that high VG doesn't irritate at all. I don't think it's dehydration because I drink the same amount of water now than when I first started vaping.

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
Could it be that the juice manufacturer has changed its nicotine supplier? When I started vaping I was using 6 mg/ml nicotine in sub-ohm tanks, max VG, all my juices came from one brand and I never had any throat hit/burning sensation issues.

When I switched to DIY juice making I found that using 6 mg/ml nicotine from a respected flavour concentrate manufacturer could be very unpleasant to vape, using the same tanks/mods/coils as previously. The nicotine sometimes had a horrible (e.g. peppery) taste and often gave a harsh throat hit that I do not enjoy at all; I would describe that as a throat burning sensation. I have recently switched to a different nicotine source and although I have not had time to fully test it, it seems far better, with no taste or throat burn.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Once I developed a PG sensitivity (it didn't happen immediately) I could no longer tolerate more than about 10% max.

It's possible you have developed a PG sensitivity. Try vaping some straight VG or VG plus 10%DW and see if it helps.

It is also allergy season and (around here) it has been pretty bad. It may be that allergy season could be contributing, or it may be a flavor issue, who knows.

I'd also suggest a doctor's visit anyway, to rule out any other illness. I've been ill before and it led to increased coughing and an irritated throat (mostly when I vaped, although I did feel ill otherwise.

Good luck, you may have to do some more experimenting. I hope you get it sorted out.

Anna

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
One more thing I forgot to add, which might be more relevant to DIY mixes: I always shake the bottle before filling the tank, even with store bought liquids. I've noticed that when I don't shake the bottle my body sometimes feels like I have been vaping a higher level of nicotine, as if the nicotine is not distributed evenly within the liquid.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I'm betting that you have vaper's tongue and didn't know it. If you're vaping the same flavor from the same device all the time, your senses of taste and smell will isolate that flavor/aroma and block it.

All you're getting now is the throat hit from the nic and PG.

Try a different flavor in your tank.

Courtney Rose

Apr 1, 2018
I'm betting that you have vaper's tongue and didn't know it. If you're vaping the same flavor from the same device all the time, your senses of taste and smell will isolate that flavor/aroma and block it.

All you're getting now is the throat hit from the nic and PG.

Try a different flavor in your tank.
I currently have 4 different flavors. I tried switching them up to combat vapor's tongue and I still don't seem to get any taste

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Are you using the Melo III tank that comes in a Pico kit? If so, I recommend benching the Eleaf EC coils and switching to Aspire Atlantis coils instead. They fit and work perfectly.

You said you tried increasing and lowering the wattage level. That's good, but how much did you change it? Assuming you have the Melo III with an EC coil, keep in mind that the tank is not designed for high (40+) Watts. Even a fresh EC coil can burn up on you if your juice is thick and the power is set high.

Edit to add: An Atlantis coil will also burn out quickly at high wattage.

Courtney Rose

Apr 1, 2018
Are you using the Melo III tank that comes in a Pico kit? If so, I recommend benching the Eleaf EC coils and switching to Aspire Atlantis coils instead. They fit and work perfectly.

You said you tried increasing and lowering the wattage level. That's good, but how much did you change it? Assuming you have the Melo III with an EC coil, keep in mind that the tank is not designed for high (40+) Watts. Even a fresh EC coil can burn up on you if your juice is thick and the power is set high.
The mod goes up to 75 Watts, so I tried starting from 20W (anything lower than that provides barely any smoke) up to about 65W

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
You didn't answer my question. Melo III and EC coils, right? :D

Assuming yes, you may have killed the coil just by flirting with 50 Watts. The Pico 75 does 75 Watts with top of the line batteries, but that tank can't take it. It doesn't have the wick capacity, coil mass or airflow to keep up with that kind of power.

You may need yet another coil, and prime it like this:

Coil Priming 101 | E-Cigarette Forum

I have five Pico 75's. It's a fantastic little machine that's really too much mod for the Melo they paired it with.

Courtney Rose

Apr 1, 2018

Assuming yes, you may have killed the coil just by flirting with 50 Watts. The Pico 75 does 75 Watts with top of the line batteries, but that tank can't take it. It doesn't have the wick capacity, coil mass or airflow to keep up with that kind of power.

I have five Pico 75's. It's a fantastic little machine that's really too much mod for the Melo they paired it with.
Yes, I'm using the Melo III and EC coils. Thank you so much for the help!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

Agree with everything you said.

I’m using an Atlantis atty and coil, 70% vg juice @ 32 watts. And they last and perform well like this. Much higher and I’d kill it.

If that’s not satisfying for you, you might try a Vaporesso Tarot nano/Veco kit. Their EC coils will take 50 watts easy. Nice flavor, handles some chain vaping. I’m impressed for a kit on the cheaper side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread