Burning wicks on atties while dripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
I just toasted a Bauway 510 LR atomizer due to my eGo 650mAH staying engaged. When I noticed it was still on, I went to take a quick puff to cool that atty down and flow some juice back up through the wick/mesh while frantically trying to get the battery to turn off. This was a bad idea, took a HUGE hit of what tasted/smelled like a tire fire. My entire room smells awful now from this, and the atty was toast. I de-bridged/de-wicked this atty in hopes of saving it and noticed the coil couldn't even be seen, it was covered in what looked like a glob of black melted plastic. I have taken several "wick hits" in the last week on this thing, all tasted/smelled awful...but the battery sticking a few minutes ago finally did this atty in. Modding it didn't help, one lead of the coil was no longer attached.

I noticed on this particular atty that when I get one of those "wick hits", it causes my airway to constrict as if I have asthma or something. That one big hit I took before the atty died really did a number of my airway, even now it still feels not-as-open as it normally would be. I'm not having trouble breathing and my throat doesn't hurt.

Anyways, has there been any discussion on these wicks and the effect of the smoke they create when burnt? It doesn't taste/smell like anything I'd consider healthy, and after this atty issue I'm really concerned about what I'm inhaling now that I'm dripping. De-bridging/wicking my atomizers isn't really a wanted option because the juice has no way to stay at the coil...it flows right through the atty and I need to do primer puffs before firing, otherwise I'm cooking a dry coil.

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
I've only gotten that horrible burnt taste once and it was when I tried my friend's PG juice. I only use VG juices and it doesn't dry out that fast! I drip too so there's no chance of a cart going dry and me not knowing.

That one burnt vape though ruined that atty! I had to pull the wick out and it was singed and blackened in one spot and white the rest of it. It tasted horrible until I dewicked it and then it was fine afterwards. It can't be good to breathe it in though. You are right about that. I gagged and coughed terribly the one time it happened.

johnnydotexe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Springfield, MO
I only de-wick my attys. I drip 2-3 drops and the bridge/mesh holds the juice in. If I de-bridge, I can only get 1-2 drops in before it leaks all over. I don't de-bridge anymore. Only de-wick.

If I have cartomizers on hand I use those anyway. Even on my bottom feeding Phidias. Hope this helps.

How hard is it to de-wick a 510 atty without touching the mesh and the bridge? From the looks of it, even with some really small tweezers it'd be a pain.

Oakshios

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Boise, ID
i use a paper clip and tweezers. Bend about the last 1/8 in or so, 90 degrees. It is okay to touch the mesh so no worries there. Just don't want to bang around on the coil.

Anyway, take your bent paper clip and just under the top of the bridge you will see some of the wick sticking out. One side is the ends the other is where the wick was folded over. Take the wick out from the folded over side. Use tweezers to get them all the way out.

Here is the video I watched to learn how to do it.

YouTube - How to remove your Wick (Mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread