Burnt Vapes & New Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys (girls):

I've been trying to read thru threads to find an answer to my question(s), but I figured I'd join the community and get validation from my own post.

I just got an iTaste SVD & have been using a ProTank2 for a while now. I understand the difference between VV & VW, and have set my SVD according to the 2.5 ohm coils/wicks I have been using. I run the SVD in Voltage mode at right around 4V to 4.2V and have had great flavor and vapor.

My old coil/wick started to get that familiar burnt plastic taste, so I swapped it out for a new one. Before vaping, I primed the wick. When I did fire up the SVD I immediately got that burnt taste with a kind of burning in the back of throat & nose. I tried lowering the Voltage & got the same results. I swapped the tank onto my Vision Spinner and again, got the same results.

Could this just be a bad coil/wick? I haven't had this issue before.

My other question. What tank would you recommend as an upgrade to the Protank2 that would work with the SVD? I would prefer to stay bottom coil. I think I'm almost ready to start rebuilding my wicks & coils, so if you know of a fairly simple tank to rebuild. Getting kind of fed up with the hit or miss performance of the Chinese wicks/coils

Thanks for the help!

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
First off, Hi and welcome!! :)

It cold certainly be just a bad coil. I did have a batch of 5 where I found that probably 3 or 4 started out not wicking well and getting burnt hits. Oddly enough a few primer pulls and nasty vapes then they worked perfectly. No idea why. Out of probably 50 just this one batch did it - I have no explanation for it. :blink:

If you have more coils on hand swap it out and see if that fixes it. You can also youtube cleaning and dry burning. If the wick is truly burnt - it is what it is, but if not and its burned juice gunked on the coil you will be all set.

Tell us about your juice - what kind? Is it dark? Does it get dark once its in the tank being vaped (sweeteners/flavors cooking)? Pg/Vg?

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    You already have one of the easiest tank for making your own coils for DIY. I have been using protank over 6 months I use cotton squares from CVS price at $ 3.79 life time supply and you don't have to boil them unless you want to your have to get some wire here's a link Resistance Wire

Goto UTUBE enter "PROTANK and your get a lot of video's on how to wick coils.

With your ongoing issue your priming the wick but are you waiting 5 min before using it other than that it should be ok. 2.5 ohms 3.8-4.1 volts suggested by Kanger.

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Welcome to ECF. Sounds like you just got a bad batch of coil heads. If you are looking to rebuild soon, the Protank heads are really easy to rebuild once you get the hang of it. That way you can just rebuild the heads that you already have, and don't have to buy anything new except for some wick and wire. I'd highly recommend rebuilding them with 32 gauge kanthal and cotton wick. Works like a charm and vapes like a treat. There are a few good threads here on ECF about rebuilding them with cotton, which is what I recommend. Hope this helps!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    Sounds like your getting some dry hits.

Once you burn one out to a nasty burnt taste you do have to wash the entire tank pretty good. Depending on how bad it burned, the air tubes and chamber can still be nasty. Smell the air tube and mouth piece with it apart before a new coil. A wash with dish soap and a good rinse will clean the smell out.

Stock coils are crap I used one and never again. Coils wrapped too tight on wick choking it off and you get burnt hits. Some are ok but not for me. You can rebuild the heads. Even when new you can rewrap nicely and put back together.

I hear the flash-e vapor, rba is the bomb easy to build and works great. There's clones of it out. I use and oddy clone and it works great but a little more complex build. Kayfun clones are easy and work well.

So the burnt smell / taste can stay in the protank itself., only way to remove it is to wash with soap and water.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread