Butterscotch Cheesecake

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I love the sound of this, vanilla custard is one of my favourite flavours, I really like desert flavours so I'll be trying this out for sure :) thanks for the recipe dobroeutro

You're welcome... :D I Would love to hear what you think after you try it, hopefully will be good for you... :)

Reactions: Kenna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I've just been digging this recipe. Being the Flavor Apprentice freak that I am, I couldn't help trying some variants using TFA. Their Graham Cracker didn't work out, CAP really has the better graham cracker, and FW's Natural Butterscotch is much better than TFA's, but I settled on this...

New York Cheesecake (CAP) 8%
Butterscotch Natural (FW) 6%
Vanilla Custard (TFA) 2%
Graham Cracker (CAP) 2%
Bravarian Cream (TFA) 1%
Caramel Original (TFA) 1%
Sweetener (Sucralose) 1%

The Caramel Original makes a significant difference in this recipe, but I still can't decide which I like better, so I vape them both.

Thanks again for a great creation.
Okay, after your post in the Have a Cheesecake Recipe thread, as well as this quoted variation, I think I am ready to give this a shot. As per my norm, in spite of have nearly 300 concentrates, I am lacking 1 key ingredient, and have to decide between two others for another.

I need help.

I am directing this at both @dobroeutro and @jambi but I welcome all thoughts on the subject.

I do not have any Flavor West Butterscotch. I only have TFA Butterscotch, and a gifted bottle of Real Flavors Butterscotch (I am presuming original RF VG concentrate vs. RF VG Super Concentrate; as the bottle does not specify, but I can't be sure). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Secondly, I have both CAP, and TFA, Vanilla Custard. Any thoughts/preferences on which to use (especially in light of the butterscotch sub)?

Finally, I can't read this thread without thinking about Cheesecake Factory's Dulce De Leche Cheesecake (a "cheesecake" forward cheesecake that has a subtle caramel/butterscotch accent). Has anyone considered, or tried subbing TFA Dulce De Leche (or any other brand's equivalent) for the CAP/TFA Bavarian Cream? It is the subtleness of the caramel/butterscotch that I seek. Most DIY mixes that contain either of these notes tend to be overrun by them. I want it more as an accent/afterthought instead of the usual "in-your-face" overwhelming, domineering, primary note.

For ease of comparison here is a shot of the two recipes side by side:
upload_2017-6-7_5-50-39.png

LEGEND:
Green highlight = I have.
Purple highlight = I don't have.
Blue highlight = I have both.

ASSUMPTION:
TFA Sweetener is 5% sucralose vs. CAP Super Sweet which is 10% Sucralose. Only variant (besides halving/doubling concentrate amount) is a minor adjustment applied to PG to meet overall PG/VG ratio. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you to @dobroeutro for sharing the original recipe:thumbs:; and thank you to all who can shed any light on my questions!:thumb::D

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
Okay, after your post in the Have a Cheesecake Recipe thread, as well as this quoted variation, I think I am ready to give this a shot. As per my norm, in spite of have nearly 300 concentrates, I am lacking 1 key ingredient, and have to decide between two others for another.

I need help.

I am directing this at both @dobroeutro and @jambi but I welcome all thoughts on the subject.

I do not have any Flavor West Butterscotch. I only have TFA Butterscotch, and a gifted bottle of Real Flavors Butterscotch (I am presuming original RF VG concentrate vs. RF VG Super Concentrate; as the bottle does not specify, but I can't be sure). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Secondly, I have both CAP, and TFA, Vanilla Custard. Any thoughts/preferences on which to use (especially in light of the butterscotch sub)?

Finally, I can't read this thread without thinking about Cheesecake Factory's Dulce De Leche Cheesecake (a "cheesecake" forward cheesecake that has a subtle caramel/butterscotch accent). Has anyone considered, or tried subbing TFA Dulce De Leche (or any other brand's equivalent) for the CAP/TFA Bavarian Cream? It is the subtleness of the caramel/butterscotch that I seek. Most DIY mixes that contain either of these notes tend to be overrun by them. I want it more as an accent/afterthought instead of the usual "in-your-face" overwhelming, domineering, primary note.

View attachment 662873
LEGEND:

ASSUMPTION:
TFA Sweetener is 5% sucralose vs. CAP Super Sweet which is 10% Sucralose. Only variant (besides halving/doubling concentrate amount) is a minor adjustment applied to PG to meet overall PG/VG ratio. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you to @dobroeutro for sharing the original recipe:thumbs:; and thank you to all who can shed any light on my questions!:thumb::D

I like CAP Vanilla Custard better than TFA, but that's just me. Obviously both will work based on @jambi's result. I think CAP/TFA Bavarian Cream are easily interchangeable. I have tried TFA Dulce De Leche & didn't care for it, but many people seem to like it. When I see it in a recipe, I usually sub Bavarian with good results, for me. If you like the Dulce De Leche, I think it would be worth a try. Although I used CAP's Caramel in my original recipe, I have since gotten TFA's Caramel Original & like it better. Strength wise, I think they are equal. As for the TFA or RF VG Butterscotch, I have not tried either. But reading on ELR, indications are that FW & TFA Butterscotch are of similar strength but vary a bit with regard to the flavor profile. FW is a true butterscotch while TFA is more like a combination of "caramel & butter rum". I love Loranns Butter Rum so still should be good & think the same percentage would be a good starting point. I could be mistaken but I think TFA Sweetener is 5% Maltol / 5% Sucralose & Capella is 20% Sucralose. Perhaps noteworthy, I have since reduced the flavoring 25% across the board in this recipe & many others I regularly vape to reflect my current equipment. Hope this info helps ya out... :)

Last edited:

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Like IDJoel, I have a ridiculous number of flavors, but somehow this recipe manages to evade so many of them! Like, I have seven caramel (and caramel-combo) flavors, but not Capella. I have four butterscotch (and butterscotch-combo) flavors, but not FW. I have TPA graham crust, but not Capella. I have TPA Bavarian Cream, but not Capella. Still, I may have to try a version with some of my stuff until the time comes that I have AN EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS NUMBER OF FLAVORS! :w00t:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal

I need help.

View attachment 662873
LEGEND:

ASSUMPTION:

All are my opinions only....

1. CAP Super Sweet: I prefer it because it's just PURE sweet. Put a drop on your finger and taste it, you'll see what I mean. It doesn't have any of that, PG/chemical undertaste like TFA's does. It's the only sweetener I use now, I generally sub it at half or less of what I'd use TFAs at. Just keep in mind this isn't EM and won't give you what you'd need from EM. What it will give you is unadulterated sweet-sweet-sweet. Use sparingly.

2. The TFA vs. CAP Vanilla Custards: I like both of them and use them interchangeably. To me, CAP is a light, smooth vanilla while TFA's is bolder (sometimes rougher), with a "spiciness" if you will, that CAP lacks. The CAP also has a slight eggy note that TFA seems to lack. The "Diketone" element is more up front in TFA, which is why I think I slightly favor it. At the %s used in this recipe, I don't notice any difference (I've tried both).

3. Butterscotch: GRIN... my suggestion is to buy some FW Butterscotch Natural! Both TFA and FW Butterscotch are rather...ermmm...anemic flavors to me. Not to say they're bad, or that they wouldn't work just as well in this recipe, they're just flat and uninteresting, in addition to being rather weak. Butterscotch lover that I am, I've tried lots of recipes using them, and never really ended up with anything resembling butterscotch. FW Natural Butterscotch is a whole nuther animal. It has body, it has "dimension", it TASTES LIKE BUTTERSCOTCH, and it plays really well with the Graham cracker and caramel in this recipe. I don't have RF's and don't know how it would compare. Since you have it already I'd definitely try it (and tell us about the results) but If you like butterscotch, FW Natural is worth picking up.

4. TFA Dulce de Leche: I like the stuff, though I've found it tricky to use (seems to have a really narrow "harmonization window", it either wipes other flavors out or gets lost under them). Were I to sub it here, I'd actually leave the Bavarian and swap out the caramel for it, same 2%. Definitely worth trying. If you're going more for the "leche" aspect than D.d.L's heavy caramel influence, FW's Tres Leches might be more effective.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I like CAP Vanilla Custard better than TFA, but that's just me. Obviously both will work based on @jambi's result. I think CAP/TFA Bavarian Cream are easily interchangeable. I have tried TFA Dulce De Leche & didn't care for it, but many people seem to like it. When I see it in a recipe, I usually sub Bavarian with good results, for me. If you like the Dulce De Leche, I think it would be worth a try. Although I used CAP's Caramel in my original recipe, I have since gotten TFA's Caramel Original & like it better. Strength wise, I think they are equal. As for the TFA or RF VG Butterscotch, I have not tried either. But reading on ELR, indications are that FW & TFA Butterscotch are of similar strength but vary a bit with regard to the flavor profile. FW is a true butterscotch while TFA is more like a combination of "caramel & butter rum". I love Loranns Butter Rum so still should be good & think the same percentage would be a good starting point. I could be mistaken but I think TFA Sweetener is 5% Maltol / 5% Sucralose & Capella is 20% Sucralose. Perhaps noteworthy, I have since reduced the flavoring 25% across the board in this recipe & many others I regularly vape to reflect my current equipment. Hope this info helps ya out... :)
I'm hooked on vanilla custard haha :D

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I'm hooked on vanilla custard haha :D

I'm a Custard, Vanilla Custard lover myself. My two favorites atm are Inawera Custard & CAP Vanilla Custard v1. If I'm not vapin' custard, it's custard & something else. Such a versatile base that's great on it's own & matches up with practically everything... :D

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I'm a Custard, Vanilla Custard lover myself. My two favorites atm are Inawera Custard & CAP Vanilla Custard v1. If I'm not vapin' custard, it's custard & something else. Such a versatile base that's great on it's own & matches up with practically everything... :D
I am very much the same, I used to really struggle vaping with coffee. It was a really big craving an when I mostly smoked but custard flavours go so well with coffee haha :)
I tried a whole variety of desert flavours but now my two main ones are rhubarb & custard and vanilla custard. If you have any other decent custard recipes suggestions are open.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I am very much the same, I used to really struggle vaping with coffee. It was a really big craving an when I mostly smoked but custard flavours go so well with coffee haha :)
I tried a whole variety of desert flavours but now my two main ones are rhubarb & custard and vanilla custard. If you have any other decent custard recipes suggestions are open.

I vape CAP Vanilla Custard v1 stand alone @10% & INW Custard @6%. That's usually the base & I just add other stuff, 1 or 2 flavors, as the mood strikes me. I typically use CAP for brighter fruits & lighter bakery & INW for darker fruits & savory bakery. I'll pm a few of my favorites when I get access to my recipe file... :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'll pm a few of my favorites when I get access to my recipe file... :D
Don't be selfish;the rest of us want to know too!;):lol::lol::lol: I know you have shared several custard recipes in the past but it would be nice to have a fresh thread that contains a compilation of your current custard favorites. Especially since you have been tweaking (reducing?) them for your new equipment profile. Pretty please?:D (As time permits of course.) Thanks again for all your contributions!:thumbs:

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
Don't be selfish;the rest of us want to know too!;):lol::lol::lol: I know you have shared several custard recipes in the past but it would be nice to have a fresh thread that contains a compilation of your current custard favorites. Especially since you have been tweaking (reducing?) them for your new equipment profile. Pretty please?:D (As time permits of course.) Thanks again for all your contributions!:thumbs:

Sure, I can do that. Not really sure my simple combinations deserve a thread, but I'll post something soon. Thanks for the compliment @IDJoel. Hopefully they will be of some value to custard lovers... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread