The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

calculator?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Dystonia Man, Dec 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dystonia Man

Dystonia Man Full Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Southern California.
    Is there a simple calculator or simple chart somewhere for figuring out what the preferable wattage is depending on your coil resistance? I looked on Google. But didn't find anything that would help. I'm might not have been using the correct search phrase.

2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The one I have is called coil builder. It’s a iPhone app.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    It is a matter of personal preference, vape to your individual taste not to a number.
    Start low & gradually work your way up until you find what you like best in vape quality.

All sorts of variables have an influence on power / resistance used.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MJCSD

MJCSD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2014
    usa
    Hello and welcome to ecf i use a phone app called vaporcalc

• Like Like x 3
  5. AminyWin
    This message by AminyWin has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 14, 2017, Reason: unregistered supplier.
    Dec 8, 2017
  6. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a couple free android apps that I have on my phone, I'd rather look at my phone for directions while mixing than my computer.... Neither of them is fancy, but they both do the job. I write down my recipes elsewhere, so I don't really use the fancy function of saving recipes and whatnot, but there are some good options out there certainly.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  7. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    This. :thumb:

If you are using factory-made drop in coils, there is usually a suggested wattage range printed somewhere either on the package or the coil itself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    I think this may be what you're looking for

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

That site has several calculators covering pretty much amything vaping-wise.

Follow @Topwater Elvis' and @Baditude's advice, too. But make sure your coil is primed with liquid before starting, and start at a wattage below the recommended range. Then work your way up until it tastes right.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hhhmmm... This is usually a subject I get into with coil builders but the principles hold for drop in coils, you just have less room to maneuver.

If you hold the coil size, wire size and resistance constant, when you change wattage you are adjusting the amount of power radiated from the coil surface, and the surface temp of the wire. Some people like their vape cooler, some warmer. Some juices perform better in certain power ranges; particularly those with complex flavor profiles. Not enough power and you lose certain highlights that don't get hot enough to fully vaporize; too much power and you can lose highlights that burn off instead of vaporizing. Some wicking materials keep up just fine at one power level, but fall behind if you raise it too far. Moreover, it is possible (actually inevitable) to build two coils of the exact same resistance using different sizes of wire and get different radiated power at the same watts. Smaller wire gets hotter (ratio of surface area to volume is smaller) than bigger wire, all else being equal.

So, as you can see, there's a lot of variance here, and many things are interdependent; like Ohm's Law itself, if you change anything, everything else moves to stay in equilibrium. There really isn't a "preferred" wattage setting for any given coil value because they can be built in different ways. A Clapton coil and a round wire coil and an Alien and a twist and any other permutation you can think of, all built to the same resistance, will "behave" differently at the same wattage because you are changing the ratio of surface to volume. As the word itself says, it's about personal preference, not some absolute rule, and the key to a satisfactory vape is finding a surface power level you and your juice both like.

So you get the same advice from me as from everyone else: start low and work up until you get where you want to be. Be further aware, if you like to change flavors, some juices will like certain wattage ranges and others will like another. Seriously, just a couple of watts in one or another direction will make a difference in the flavor profile. But only you can tell when it's right for you. So play around with it: pick a coil and a juice and run up the power to get in the right area. Then vary the watts just a point-- half a point, even-- up and down to get it dialed in perfectly. The repeat the process with any other juices you like to use.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    The coolest thing is that you'll get waist deep in all this experimenting with different coils, different juices and different wattages. Then you'll look up at the clock and say, "Damn. I missed my smoke break."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Not to my knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ECarroll

ECarroll Full Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Erlangen, Germany
    like others have said change your wattage up or down until you find what we call your sweet spot

13. evan le'garde

evan le'garde Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.