Caliburn/ draw activation devices concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holey

Nov 2, 2019
I really hate to bring this up friends. Especially with the current climate.
I have a possibly urgent, very interesting story to convey, on a perceived problem(mechanical). That may affect health. Though I hope not. But I feel I was having health problems. Relating to, a draw activated device('s)
And I see around here others complaining of sore throats from spitting mainly.
I have seen no mention on the web about my concerns.
And I’m hesitant to mention it, I have used UK's yellow card system to report. I’m in Australia. I trust the U.K. But they may be slow to react, though they say it’s pretty fast response. And due to the nature of my concern, I choose this e-cigarette-forum as it’s the biggest I believe, to put this concern to the masses, for more research and discussion.
My Caliburn does not spit, just to clarify.
I was getting rather sore chest(lungs maybe, wind pipe)
After reading a scientific paper on cheap lead solder/silver connections possibly causing problems, related to Illegal THC cart death in USA I had another thought.
The Caliburn, sucks it’s draw through the battery compartment, and we are inhaling battery discharge vent gasses. NO, C4H2, HF, POF3, LIPF6 + others.
These compounds are not good, for sure.
Only trace amounts it seems, but after 7 weeks of loving my Cali to death, running 16 different flavor pods. I'd had enough of the increasing discomfort. It goes away after a couple of hours. It doesn’t happen with my other dozen mods/ pods(BREEZE2) as the draw is isolated from the batteries. And the flavors are the same in my other mods as I run in the Cali.
Maybe it’s just burning me a with tight draw, doing DTL.
But the BREEZE2 doesn’t hurt me, and I DTL with it too.
I've not used a Jull but I guess they suck thru the battery too. And possible other devices.
I'll leave it with yous, at that.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There’s all sorts of questionable causes being bandied about at the moment. The problem with doing science is they need to check every alley and a lot of them are going to be blind ones. Just because they’re checking the possibility of something doesn’t mean it’s going to cause a problem. Not that the whole “silver solder doesn’t mean lead free” thing isn’t a problem. It is. And it’s going to be a problem in things besides ecigs. This is why non lead free solder was abolished in the first place. It was mainly a problem for the people melting the solder though, not the ones using the finished device. I think the possibility that one could get lead poisoning from doing anything other than eating the device is really really low. The issue is with device disposal and use on food utensils.
This has an odor of the cell phone radiation scare to it.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Interesting! Thank you for bringing this up.
Does a battery always vent (spreading gas) or just if it gets too hot?
Not sure if this is a point meant to show what is wrong with the logic of the OP or an honest question.

No they don’t. They’re literally sealed. A battery that vents gas will be instantly broken. It only happens if the battery actually fails.

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
Not sure if this is a point meant to show what is wrong with the logic of the OP or an honest question.

No they don’t. They’re literally sealed. A battery that vents gas will be instantly broken. It only happens if the battery actually fails.

Was meant to be a question.
Just watched a caliburn disassembly video to see if there is a closed channel to the draw sensor.
Did not find one. So the air travels through the internals to the sensor.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Interesting! Thank you for bringing this up.
Does a battery always vent (spreading gas) or just if it gets too hot?
Batteries only vent when something goes wrong like overheating. Once it vents, it is no longer going to function properly.

Also, I would like to say that if the solder points on a device gets hot enough to start melting or producing fumes, something is seriously wrong with the device. It would likely be a very noticeable uncomfortable vape before that happens, along the lines of bad dry hits and a noticeable increase in the temperature of the vapor. Or it would just stop functioning. The ones that were talked about were the ones with the coil legs soldered onto a wire pretty much specifically, and there are not many devices that still use this construction technique. I have yet to see any real evidence that this has happened and have not seen any evidence that any illnesses were actually linked to this. All I have seen on this topic was speculation.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Was meant to be a question.
Just watched a caliburn disassembly video to see if there is a closed channel to the draw sensor.
Did not find one. So the air travels through the internals to the sensor.
Yeah. They do that. Plus they tend to be poorly fitted so when you draw air come in through the edges of the case as well as the draw hole. It’s one of the reasons the draw is so loose. SMOK is famous for low production quality. There are good reasons not to buy SMOK outside of the solder and battery accusations.

A working LiPo battery is still a sealed thing though, and the leaded solder issue remains doubtful currently.

If you happened to have the thing in your mouth and drawing WHEN a battery vented you could get a mouthful of battery outgassing and there might be enough heat to cause issues with the solder. There would also be other giant problems happening at the time though.

Is the SMOK caliburn a mod a person may not want to use? Sure. SMOK is generally crap. But not because of the ideas that batteries continually outgas or that illegal solder will give a user lead poisoning just by being near it.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I really hate to bring this up friends. Especially with the current climate.
I have a possibly urgent, very interesting story to convey, on a perceived problem(mechanical). That may affect health. Though I hope not. But I feel I was having health problems. Relating to, a draw activated device('s)
And I see around here others complaining of sore throats from spitting mainly.
I have seen no mention on the web about my concerns.
And I’m hesitant to mention it, I have used UK's yellow card system to report. I’m in Australia. I trust the U.K. But they may be slow to react, though they say it’s pretty fast response. And due to the nature of my concern, I choose this e-cigarette-forum as it’s the biggest I believe, to put this concern to the masses, for more research and discussion.
My Caliburn does not spit, just to clarify.
I was getting rather sore chest(lungs maybe, wind pipe)
After reading a scientific paper on cheap lead solder/silver connections possibly causing problems, related to Illegal THC cart death in USA I had another thought.
The Caliburn, sucks it’s draw through the battery compartment, and we are inhaling battery discharge vent gasses. NO, C4H2, HF, POF3, LIPF6 + others.
These compounds are not good, for sure.
Only trace amounts it seems, but after 7 weeks of loving my Cali to death, running 16 different flavor pods. I'd had enough of the increasing discomfort. It goes away after a couple of hours. It doesn’t happen with my other dozen mods/ pods(BREEZE2) as the draw is isolated from the batteries. And the flavors are the same in my other mods as I run in the Cali.
Maybe it’s just burning me a with tight draw, doing DTL.
But the BREEZE2 doesn’t hurt me, and I DTL with it too.
I've not used a Jull but I guess they suck thru the battery too. And possible other devices.
I'll leave it with yous, at that.
Hi and welcome,
If you prefer a DTL draw, I would suggest you acquire a proper DTL device. (perhaps NOT a Pod?)
IMO,
Using the caliburn (a mtl device) incorrectly may be contributing to your discomfort. It CAN NOT wick nor vaporize the liquid efficiently and effectively if you are drawing hard enough to achieve an DTL type inhale.
It is simply NOT designed for that type of use.
As noted, your battery should not be venting unless it is defective. I don't believe the science supports your conclusion.

HTH
I

Last edited:

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
Yeah. They do that. Plus they tend to be poorly fitted so when you draw air come in through the edges of the case as well as the draw hole. It’s one of the reasons the draw is so loose. SMOK is famous for low production quality. There are good reasons not to buy SMOK outside of the solder and battery accusations.

A working LiPo battery is still a sealed thing though, and the leaded solder issue remains doubtful currently.

If you happened to have the thing in your mouth and drawing WHEN a battery vented you could get a mouthful of battery outgassing and there might be enough heat to cause issues with the solder. There would also be other giant problems happening at the time though.

Is the SMOK caliburn a mod a person may not want to use? Sure. SMOK is generally crap. But not because of the ideas that batteries continually outgas or that illegal solder will give a user lead poisoning just by being near it.

Caliburn is made by Uwell. Or did Smok bought or runs this company name as well?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Caliburn is made by Uwell. Or did Smok bought or runs this company name as well?
Gah. Most correct. Very SMOK like issues there. I don’t like pods in general. I thought only SMOK had the “silver” solder thing going on. I might be wrong about that though. Missassumption on my part.

statement about batteries still applies though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Don't know how they solder the caliburn. But Uwell is much more trustworthy than Smok.
Will soon check their new 1.2 ohm pods. Right now i do run a ijoy Neptune. Same thing as the Caliburn but constant output and 3 power levels.
Brand Trustworthiness doesn’t necessarily apply to individual models. Not sure what is meant by “same thing” here. Could be anything from functionally similar to rebranding of otherwise identical devices.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread