• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

!!! Call To Action - TN Vapers !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpcp68

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2009
Knoxville, TN
I sent the email to the representative and I got the generic response from Rep. Ford. However, I thought it was not good enough and I replied to it stating that. Rep Ford actually got back to me and we entertained a good email conversation. Sadly, he is not my representative and my representative has not answered.

The feeling I got is that the bill is likely to be approved because it is perceived mostly to ban sale of tobacco to minors. I do not think anyone will vote against that. We should point out the fact that the e-cigs have just been 'attached' to it and that part should be removed.

My 2 cents.

markdpman

ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2009
Brighton, Tn.
I sent off emails in my name, wifes, grand daughter. I got only 1 response.

I am looking into this issue and plan to contact the sponsor regarding
Item #18 in this bill which is the subject of complaint. I expect this
item to be amended which should correct the legislation.

Please let us know in the future if you have a concern or if I can
assist you in any way.

Very Best Regards,
Representative Dale Ford
Tennessee General Assembly
202A War Memorial Building
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 741-1717

This doesn't appear to be a generic response since he mentions the section 18. Hopefully this is a good sign. I still plan to send emails off from many more family members.

Sgmetal

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I have sent off emails also, anyone have any other tips? Maybe we can somehow arrange a meeting with some of the voters to help show them e-cigs and change their minds. I have my whole life ahead of me and without e-cigs I would of been smoking for most of it.

*UPDATE*

So I have gotten two replies to my emails, one for Dale Ford, which at first was the generic responses but then I also got a phone call from him (which I have unfortunately haven't been able to return yet). Ford wanted to ask me questions about e-cigs and learn about them. The other I just received is from Senator Jack Johnson and he said that he opposes the bill! His exact wording was

> Dear Mr. ******:
> Thank you for your e-mail concerning SB910. I appreciate you bringing
> this to my attention. I do not support the bill.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Sen. Jack Johnson
> Tennessee General Assembly
> District 23 -Williamson and Davidson Counties
> Nashville, TN 37243
> Office: 615-741-2495
> Email: sen.jack.johnson@capitol.tn.gov

Both the emails I got responses to were personalized emails not the copy paste one so please consider typing out an email. instead of the copy and paste one. We can fight this ban.

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I sent and called- actually talked to the rep who proposed the ban- he wasn't very receptive. I did hear back from Ford...typical letter. Let's hope this doesn't pass but even if it does, w/ the latest ruling in D.C. that the FDA has no jurisdiction over our industry, they're are going to have a difficult time w/ enforcement. We'll see how things shape up.

Oh, and watch out for the "amendment," from what the rep told me, they are hoping to change the language to include that it's okay to have devices and juice as long as the company supplying such is registered with the FDA....true, but laughable.

Last edited:

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
Hey guys, I just posted on the TN bad thread over in the campaigning section. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/law-e-cigarette/168706-tn-legislature-bill-ban-pvs.html

I got what I believe to be a positive response from the senator to my district.

Ok, I got a seemingly positive response back from the state senator (Randy McNally) in my district. I did send him an e-mail, but I hand wrote it with my personal story, and a link back to the CASAA letters. I basically asked that he look at section 18 closer because there has been a lot of misunderstanding about the bill only pertaining to the sale to minors. I of course reinforced that I'm also against selling to minors but as an adult e-cigs will help me live to see my little girl get married some day in the (very) distant future. Here is the response I received:

Steve:

Thank you for your recent communication regarding SB910. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me on this matter.

I share your concerns on section 18 and will be glad to talk to Sen. Overbey about modificaton or removal of the section.

You have my assurance that your concerns and suggestions, as well as those of my other constituents, will be reflected in my decision making process as the Senate continues its work.

Randy

I think the key might be to write something something personally, since these folks tend to be good at sniffing out and ignoring form letters.

So by my count it looks like we have 2 senators so far who are saying they're against at least section 18 if not the whole bill :)

BTW, I'm new to the TN section and the forum in general, my name's Steve, how are you all? :)

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
According to the website, still no ammendment!
Tennessee General Assembly » Legislation
Right, I'm thinking that like the other bill, in the video (4/13/11 on rooster fighting), the amendment will be up for a vote by the subcommittee, being introduced there (and not before), then if the amendment passes, there will be discussion and then an actual vote on the proposed bill if they get that far tomorrow. I have a sinking feeling that they aren't going to let this thing die gracefully. Whoever can go, should...there's a chance this bill will pass in subcommittee and then move on the the House and Senate, and I also have a gut feeling that all the amendment is going to do is alter the amount of the fine and not really change the language to not ban e-cigs for adults. It's very deceiving what Armstrong has done- I've talked to him and he seemed to be very proud of this bill and would not give me a good listen at all...whatever I had to say, he just blew over me...He introduced the bill and I think he'll push hard for it to pass- very very slick- introducing a bill first as a "no sale to minors" bill but then including no adult choice and wants no one here in TN to have a choice to vape at all....

Last edited:

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I read somewhere that the proposed amendment could possibly something along the lines of vendors having to "register" with the FDA, of course there's no procedure in place to actually do that, effectively still keeping this thing a ban but making it look like a compromise. I wonder also if it keeps getting pushed in hopes that the attention it's getting will quietly go away.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I read somewhere that the proposed amendment could possibly something along the lines of vendors having to "register" with the FDA, of course there's no procedure in place to actually do that, effectively still keeping this thing a ban but making it look like a compromise. I wonder also if it keeps getting pushed in hopes that the attention it's getting will quietly go away.
Right, that's what Armstrong told me too- that he was going to amend it for vendors to "register," and by doing so, they have shown a good faith to the FDA. I asked him about the procedure and he told me that he didn't know the specifics but that it is on the FDA website so go take a look. After I spoke with him, I went to take a look and of course, it means submitting to FDA inspections, and eventually animal trials, etc. In other words, it's moving towards getting your juice, devices, etc. approved as tobacco cessation devices- not what any vendor wants to do, and if they tried to do this, the FDA would be at their door and the process itself would bankrupt just about any company operating in the world of vaping right now. So, it's a joke but what do the other members of the committee know? Even if e-cigs were approved as such, then their use would be required to follow FDA guidelines of 4mg nicotine per "dosing," whatever that means with the gradual reduction to Zero...based on the assumption that the use of "nicotine in and of itself causes great harm" just like tobacco, which we know is not true. So, even more reason to go to this hearing for those who can make it. Whatever the compromise or amendment, we don't want our products being classified as cessation devices- what we do is an alternative to smoking.

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Steve from Pure Smoker (e-cig business here in TN) did a great job.

The bill passed with Section 18 deleted! It won't be a law for a good while because it still has a slew of Committees to go through. For those interested, you can see the proceedings today, here: House-Agriculture Sub Committee And then click on bill 1729 to the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread