can a base taste bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
I'm vaping Egoist's Tantadroo Menthol Free mixed in a 70VG base labelled Boiler Base from a store called Steam Factory (bottle distributed by them) and with a Popdrop nic shot.

just taste funny. not the coil.

can it be one of the ingredients, the flavour or the base (i know it's not the nic shot)

the lower the wattage, the more bitter the flavour. i've read some thread mentioning some juices take better to other flavours, but presuming that the lower the wattage the stronger the flavour, i figure the flavour is just wrong.

anyone tried this flavour? any general tricks?

edit: come to think of it every juice i've made with this base tastes bad. anyone tried Cloud Junky's Citrus kiss? also bad.

does a base effect the flavour?

Last edited:

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
do two threads spam make?

thought i'd ask a more direct question, apparently the juice forum people aren't as amused by my diction(?)::

every juice i mix with this base tastes crappy. it's called Boiler Base, and this is the 70VG. not sure if the store i bought it from mixes or just re-labels it for distribution. a small german business.
mixed 4 flavours from different manufacturers and all taste similar, weak and ba-a-a-a-d (bleeting not yelling, so not burnt coil bad).

does a base have a flavour or is there something preventing it from mixing?

@smacuser look a puppy-kitten!

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
@smacuser not at all! was;t your fault no one chimed in! i blame the straightforward titles_ i usually write something less to the point. but maybe juice problems aren't as interesting.

well they've sat for various lengths of time.

i wasn't syringe-precise with the mixing, but i can't be off by more than two MLs or the like, but even if i was, it would be on the extra-flavour-side.

the room is cooler than any office building in the summer and the bottles are in cardboard boxes.

i've used the same nicshot brands in Dinner Lady shake-and-vapes. so it shouldn't be the nic.

and the same weak flavour is there in the four mixes, with some variation with the after taste.

i've mixed a couple of 50vg mixes as well adn they didn't have this problem (though with diff. flavours).

the only thing from the textbooks i might be off on is that the bottle were quiet full, but i saw the liquid and bubbles flip and turn as i shook it like a baby. plus it sat long enough i reckon.

Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    smaller two 30 ml. 2 are a 100+-. 1 is 120.

guess juice ain't as fun as mods and tanks
    As a rule, it's better to under flavor. That was you can gradually add more. If it's overdone at the beginning, you'll have a tougher time trying to dilute it. I don't know if you have this option, but I always mix by weight.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    You might have gained more of a response posting in the DIY section.

I guess anything can be bad. As mentioned, try a bit of the base on its own – just saturate a fresh wick and take a few puffs. To me, 70+% VG unflavoured has a very slight hint of sweetness. YMMV.

But have to back @smacuser comment on 2mls either way can make A LOT of difference. Too much of a flavouring can drown that flavour. Me’s learned that the hard way

If anything, use syringes for a more accurate mix. Even better, invest in a scale.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    @Punk In Drublic @smacuser thanks for the advice. looks like youre right on the money.

made 5ml batches for comparison using a syringe. one with the same base and a couple with the 50 to compare later. only vaped the 70 (same base with one of the same flavours) as such, it's weak but no bad taste.

stabbed myself a couple of times and made a mess though. had to unhook the needle for the 50 base as after the first batch it would suck the thick stuff anymore. don't know what i did wrong to mess up the airpressure.

another thing making it better is strong lung inhalation. the shifting back and forth twixt mtl and dl tanks is tricky. but i could swear i didn't inhale this hard before the month-break from DLing.

typing-out-loud:
    i'm also finding the dinnerlady shakeandvape mix which is 2 months old weaker. and one of the mixes i'd made before as well. could theshoe box or the fact that there's many flavours in it be messing everything up? any urban wisdom like don't-put-cigarettes-from-different-brands-in-the-same-pack-type of thing? or have i just toasted my tongue?

These with a thousand small deliberations
    Protract the profit of their chilled delirium,
    Excite the membrane, when the sense has cooled,
    With pungent sauces, multiply variety
    In a wilderness of mirrors. What will the spider do,
    Suspend its operations, will the weevil
    Delay?

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I'm going to have to read this again and report back later. Jk. lol. I'm beginning to realize English is not your first language.

First, it's entirely possible you have developed vapers tongue. Second, a lot of juices have a small window of flavor potency, say one to two months.
    Especially with citrus flavors.

Lastly, for myself, another vote against measuring by volume. I'd rather get nic in my eye than stab myself ;).

Last edited:

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    @SupplyDaddy (really uncomfortableusing addressing you with that handle). indeed:

one was recommended by manufacturer to be 3-6%. and i mixed it in 120ml

another is officially 20%, but the boys that sold it to me said it works at 10% if you don't want it intensive. not sure if i'd filled the 120 bottle all the way, but it was 100-120ml amount and i mixed in around 15ml.

third again from the last company with 20% recommended and 10% suggested by seller. that in particular was odd, i made 80-100ml with 10ml of flavour and it was perfect. 3 weeks later not any more.

fourth is the Cloud junky citrus coke one. it comes with 30ml's and you're to add base and nic to fill the rest of the 120 bottle. couldn't have messed that one up if i'd tried.

the last recomm. 4-7%, made 30 ml by eye.

anyway, like i said. one at least (the 20% rec) is better by tighter measure and following the website recommendation. we'll see with the rest.

@smacuser wish i'd known abt shelf-life... the irony is, i've been saving best for last, avoiding finishing my favourites. bummber

khow did you nealize it isn't mine birst nanguage?

stabs were ok. didn't draw blood or the like_ so just teased myself,
    mess from liquids.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread