Can Nichrome coils last more than week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fajar

Mar 27, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
A week is what my local vape shop said when I bought a roll of Wirefreak and UD nichrome wires, unless it was Anarchist wire, which they said could last a month (don't know if that's true or just a marketing gimmick).
I know the longevity of a coil depends on many factors, so here are a few:
1. I dry burn them daily at 20watts using the running water method.
2. I usually build twisted or parallel coils, and normal coils when I'm lazy.
3. My builds usually range from 0.2-0.4 ohms. And never vape over 4 volts.

I'm really hope they can last least 2 weeks like when used to use kanthal,,

Fajar

Mar 27, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
Months

[emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]
Exactly. I might rewick every week or two but my nichrome coils can last months.

No idea why a DIY coil would be toast after a week....
Wow really? Months? That means all this time I've been throwing away perfectly good coils! LOL

But is there a way where I can physically tell that the coils need to be replaced?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
A week is what my local vape shop said when I bought a roll of Wirefreak and UD nichrome wires, unless it was Anarchist wire, which they said could last a month (don't know if that's true or just a marketing gimmick).

I'm not sure if Time is the best way to say How Long a Coil will last.

If I take 2 Hits of Unflavored a Day off a coil, It will probably last a Year before I need to change it. But if I burn down 50ml of Double Shot Flavored in a Day, well, I might not make it to 11:00pm.

I don't Dry Burn a used coil all that much any more. If I am going to Pull the Cotton and Rinse, it seems like Not that much more Effort to just put a New Coil in. And get that New Coil Flavor.

But I use Pre-Coiled Single Wire Coils mainly. Which cost next to Nothing per coil.

ErrrKT19

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
c.r., co

for longevity i don't recommended too much dry burning with nichrome. running water and an old toothbrush to get the crud off, just a few quick pulses to check for hot spots, running water quench, then rewick
also anarchist is nichrome 80 >=)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
To get the throat hit and vapor texture I want I rewick 2-3 times a week and rebuild 1-2 times per month. I space the coil and use 1% flavoring to minimize gunk. In theory any wire should go for months but my experience is replacing more often makes a difference and I can't explain why.
I would quit vaping if I had to re-wick that often. I use rayon and usually re-wick once a month so it is easy to keep track of, which is usually 100 - 200 MLs per device since I have 4 RDA/RTA/RDTA in my daily rotation.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I would quit vaping if I had to re-wick that often. I use rayon and usually re-wick once a month so it is easy to keep track of, which is usually 100 - 200 MLs per device since I have 4 RDA/RTA/RDTA in my daily rotation.
I find I get the best texture and throat hit from a fresh wick and clean coil. My coils seem to keep me happy for 2-4 weeks. Changing wick on an SV rda is a 5 minute job. Not a burden. Lately I'm spacing my coil and may be the coil is gunking less which might mean wicking less often. Time will tell.

I will add, I don't have to rewick so often. Sometimes I let it go longer but my experience is the vape is better when everything is fresh. Another thing I've just started doing is burnishing the inside of the coil with a slightly undersized diamond burring tool that would normally be used in a Dremel style tool. I'm turning with fingers so far. Too soon to decide if it makes a difference. Once I have a good build I regret changing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread