Can plants absorb nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
I was wondering if plants could absorb nicotine if you exhaled on them for a continued period of time, or in a controlled area. I don't know what section this should be in so that is why i'm posting it here. This seems like it would be a good experiment to see if "second hand vapor" is in fact legitimate. I'm not sure if it is, but plants absorb whatever is in the atmosphere they live in so i'm curious if you were to exhale your vapor into a closed off enclosure with a plant, over time maybe it would absorb the nicotine and the water.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I'm not sure I see the point.

When you're trying to analyze something, you want to start with the cleanest sample possible. In this case it would be the gas directly exhaled from a vapers mouth.

Using plants would add a very complex mix of extra chemicals, and it becomes impossible to figure out which came from the vape, which from the air, which from the plant food, and which from the plant itself.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Nicotine is present in some plants but high enough levels of it will kill most plants. In fact there was a time when concentrated nicotine was used as a weed killer by farmers if I recall correctly.

salt is present in all plants, but high enough level of it will kill any plant.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
i'm just wondering because say you have a tomato plant and it absorbs nicotine from the air, then if you eat the tomato i'm wondering if it would be concentrated enough to eat the tomato and absorb some of the nicotine from the tomato?

Absolutely Plants can Absorb Nicotine.

But Unfortunately, you Probably can't supply that Tomato Plant with enough Nicotine to see Much Increase in Nicotine Levels without Damaging/Killing the Plant.

BTW - Did you get this Idea from the Simpsons Tomacco episode?

LOL

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Absolutely Plants can Absorb Nicotine.

But Unfortunately, you Probably can't supply that Tomato Plant with enough Nicotine to see Much Increase in Nicotine Levels without Damaging/Killing the Plant.

BTW - Did you get this Idea from the Simpsons Tomacco episode?

LOL

no, i was vaping in my garden last night and i exhaled on my basil plants and my tomato plants.

Hi, I know about the use of Tobacco extract as an insecticide on Some food and ornimental plants, but If I'm not mistaken Tomato plants will die if exposed to nicotine on their leaves and fleshy stems. Tobacco carries a type of wilt disease that will kill them in quick order. This is from an old issue of Mother Earth magazine.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
no, i was vaping in my garden last night and i exhaled on my basil plants and my tomato plants.

Conversation at your neighbor's dinner table last night...

Honey did you see what that nut next door was doing..?

No...what?

He had that vapor contraption and was blowing smoke on his garden plants... Do you think we should call someone and report it?

Nah... we're probably ok. But I told there was something just not right about that guy...

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Conversation at your neighbor's dinner table last night...

Honey did you see what that nut next door was doing..?

No...what?

He had that vapor contraption and was blowing smoke on his garden plants... Do you think we should call someone and report it?

Nah... we're probably ok. But I told there was something just not right about that guy...
darn sure, i experiment on anything that seems like it would be interesting, that's probably why i'm really smart.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Hi, I know about the use of Tobacco extract as an insecticide on Some food and ornimental plants, but If I'm not mistaken Tomato plants will die if exposed to nicotine on their leaves and fleshy stems. Tobacco carries a type of wilt disease that will kill them in quick order. This is from an old issue of Mother Earth magazine.

It’s tobacco mosaic virus. Tobacco and tomato are distant cousins and share some diseases.

Edit: and both contain nicotine (as their other cousins, like eggplant and potato).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread