Can somebody answer my Caravela questions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
MN
Those prices aren't from the makers but from second hand sellers...don't blame the modders for what flippers do.

No your wrong. Making it a lotto system to get one is the breeding ground for price jackers/flippers.
Love the notion of something limited, but this is whole another playing field.

yeah, yeah.... limited manufacturing, limited supplies, and etc play a role in the production and prices. I know. But @ prices people are willing to pay, should not cause any ripples in the manufacturing process, since this stuff is not made in pure gold.
The limited aspect should just be that it may cost a bit more, but still should be available for those who what to pay the premium through manufacture at set cost. Limiting the mods and letting the price jackers create a price jacked market for second hand stuff is the direct result of controlled market with vicious supply and demand game is my point.

Last edited:

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
No your wrong. Making it a lotto system to get one is the breeding ground for price jackers/flippers.

yeah, yeah.... limited manufacturing, limited supplies, and etc play a role in the production and prices. I know. But @ prices people are willing to pay, should not cause any ripples in the manufacturing process, since this stuff is not made in pure gold.
The limited aspect should just be that it may cost a bit more, but still should be available for those who what to pay the premium through manufacture at set cost. Limiting the mods and letting the price jackers create a price jacked market for second hand stuff is the direct result of controlled market with vicious supply and demand game is my point.

It's likely limited by the manufacturer's capability and willingness to mass-produce their product, not by some desire to see high prices on the used market, which doesn't benefit them at all. They're already selling every one they can produce. CNC machines are not cheap, and ramping up capacity is a huge investment for a manufacturer unless they want to build it in China.

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Temple, Texas, United States
It's likely limited by the manufacturer's capability and willingness to mass-produce their product, not by some desire to see high prices on the used market, which doesn't benefit them at all. They're already selling every one they can produce. CNC machines are not cheap, and ramping up capacity is a huge investment for a manufacturer unless they want to build it in China.

Limiting their quantity lets them charge more per unit. It benefits them a great deal when they're seeing more than 100% profit on each device. If they were to mass produce them the consumer would demand a lower price because they wouldn't be one of those elitist items anymore. The price per device more than covers the operating cost of a CNC machine. If they were losing money they wouldn't be producing them.
As far as I'm concerned making something a limited run doesn't make it collectible. Maybe if they were hand fabricated.

Larzis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2013
Cedar Park, TX
A few random thoughts here.

Pedro (Caravela modder) is a Physicist, mods are not his primary business.

Personally I don't mind lists at all but can see how some people would not care for them. Just rhowing them up for sale or selling through a retailer creates the same problems (See Chi-You).

Ramping up production is an investment and carries risks in regards to quality. Also, what happens after you sink the money in and your mod is no longer the "In" thing?

There are plenty of good, quality, non China mods out there that can be had. Don't want to pay over retail? Then Don't! Look around, grab yourself something else.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
If your willing to pay 1800 on a mod, you should have your brain examined.

Exactly... you could custom design and manufacture a one of a kind unit for less than that...

Hell you could have a machine shop make you a one off, exact replica of a Caravella cheaper than that.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
Limiting their quantity lets them charge more per unit. It benefits them a great deal when they're seeing more than 100% profit on each device. If they were to mass produce them the consumer would demand a lower price because they wouldn't be one of those elitist items anymore. The price per device more than covers the operating cost of a CNC machine. If they were losing money they wouldn't be producing them.
As far as I'm concerned making something a limited run doesn't make it collectible. Maybe if they were hand fabricated.

They *don't* charge more per unit. It's the people re-selling them that are charging ridiculous markups.

And you mis-understand about the CNC machine: if they are to ramp up production, they need to *invest*. And I do find it fascinating that you know their markups and profit and operating costs.

A few random thoughts here.

Pedro (Caravela modder) is a Physicist, mods are not his primary business.

Personally I don't mind lists at all but can see how some people would not care for them. Just rhowing them up for sale or selling through a retailer creates the same problems (See Chi-You).

Ramping up production is an investment and carries risks in regards to quality. Also, what happens after you sink the money in and your mod is no longer the "In" thing?

There are plenty of good, quality, non China mods out there that can be had. Don't want to pay over retail? Then Don't! Look around, grab yourself something else.

This person gets it. :)

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana

So da Vinci should have painted thousands of copies of the Mona Lisa so everyone could buy one cheap? In the beginning Pedro stated how many he planned to make, I don't think he knew how popular they would be. I think it speaks volumes about his integrity that he is sticking by that instead of just going mass production and cashing in. The are only so many masterpieces painted, only so many 59 Corvettes were made, and there will only be so many Caravelas manufactured. Pedro wants to move on with other things, he is getting the Vela Latina out now and who knows what he might do in the future.

Larzis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2013
Cedar Park, TX
They *don't* charge more per unit. It's the people re-selling them that are charging ridiculous markups.

And you mis-understand about the CNC machine: if they are to ramp up production, they need to *invest*. And I do find it fascinating that you know their markups and profit and operating costs.

Most of the modders seem to be great people with a passion for that they do. But there are one or two out there that I find to be a bit shady/money grubbing.

And by that I mean, there is a mod out there where the price was 60 Euro on their native language forum. Within the last month this went to 125 Euros on FB and the English forums..... Now THAT I think is a jerk move.

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Temple, Texas, United States

I don't remember posting exact numbers. If he owns a CNC machine the only investment is in mats and the cost of actually operating the machine. It doesn't require a broker to push the green button every time you need some metal cut.
Please, tell me where I posted numbers about their operating costs, mark-ups, and profit other than the 1 percentage I threw out as a generalization. I highly doubt he's making less than 100% profit from them though in any case.

Unless you know him personally and do know his rates then you have no idea how he does business either.

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
I hate it when people justify the insane prices by saying "oh it's supply and demand. free market. blah blah." Well, yeah. Of course it's the low supply and the insane demand along with other factors like branding that increase it's desirability and price. However, at some point people have to draw the line and just be reasonable. Sellers can technically list their item for whatever they want, but when ignorant and uneducated buyers actually start buying them up, it creates a problem. When this starts to happen on a wide scale it can actually hurt the company making them.

I definitely agree with Pedro's decision to blacklist the people abusing and exploiting his brand. People should show some class and don't fall for listings with insane prices. When you buy from these sellers, you are feeding their greed, hurting the Caravela brand, and contributing to second-hand market price inflation.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I wouldn't be surprised if there were people out there that make a living buying and selling items like this. I imagine them searching out the different items and making it their business to know when these things are coming out and to be there to grab up as many as they can. I'm not talking about just the highend mechs.. but items other than vaping gear. I wonder how many of these people actually vape.

Also, I think that many of the people who got the caravela at retail probably didn't realize what they were getting and how sought after it would be. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if I could get it at retail but I have no interest whatsoever in paying anything more or stalking the different forums and fb pages.

I remember when the darwin was the most sought after device and now I see them sit, unsold in the classys even at reasonable prices.

edit..OK, I admit it.. I have been going to other forums and I have visited a few fb pages.. but I swear I would never pay more than retail! And I'm not actually stalking.. I'm occasionally visiting. OK.. I admit, I do visit them more than occasionally. But I wouldn't call it stalking. Ok..maybe it is stalking

Last edited:

vincent93

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2012
California
ok my reason for trying to get a caravela was for my stealth vape...

I want a smallest 18350 mod... and caravela looked perfect... that's y...

but now knowing the price and difficulty of getting this thing... I kinda gave up lol

So can anyone let me know what other e cig that is great for stealth vape?

doesnt have to be 18350 mod..

whatever that works lol

yellowrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
MN
Depends on what your looking for, besides stealth.
Noble 1
Zen Mini
Roller (telescopic)
sidewinder/510
and obviously many more that I did not list that are just as good.
Id say the noble hits the hardest out of the bunch, but they all hit hard. All 18350 mods that you can find without having to wrestle people and ..... your body over.
All mods listed are good mods that I would put next to vela in performance.

Last edited:

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
All 18350 mods that you can find without having to wrestle people and ..... your body over.

Don't judge me.

Vincent, there's not a better (IMO) stealth mod than a 14500 tube mod. They disappear in your pocket with a small RBA or dripping atty. I've been running mine with a cisco 1.5ohm atty and it's great for stealth other than the clouds it makes.

Larzis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2013
Cedar Park, TX
Don't judge me.

Vincent, there's not a better (IMO) stealth mod than a 14500 tube mod. They disappear in your pocket with a small RBA or dripping atty. I've been running mine with a cisco 1.5ohm atty and it's great for stealth other than the clouds it makes.

Good suggestion on the 14500, keeping an eye open for some nice ish ones myself. Think the Piccolo should be up again sometime in early March.

Something else i will throw out is a mod in 18500 mode. have my Nemesis setup this way and it is super nice.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
Good suggestion on the 14500, keeping an eye open for some nice ish ones myself. Think the Piccolo should be up again sometime in early March.

Something else i will throw out is a mod in 18500 mode. have my Nemesis setup this way and it is super nice.

M...March? Of 2014?

Larzis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2013
Cedar Park, TX
M...March? Of 2014?

Errr May... Lord I am losing my mind this morning. Aside from this I could not remember if I closed my garage door after I got to work, and went searching for a glass of chocolate milk... that I finished half an hour earlier.

Might be time to take me to the home :p

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I think they look nice and Pedro seems like a good guy...I just haven't been willing to put in the money or effort when I can get other high quality mods pretty easily. It's all worth what it's worth to you.

Btw...Dingos are tiny if you want a stealth vape. I just use an EA in 18350 mode or in the past (and in a week or so) a 14500 mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread