Can someone help be with Kangertech Subox mini battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rss09

Jan 12, 2018
Hi, I'm new here and I have a problem with my Kangertech subox mini.

I dropped the device and the battery fell out. I put the battery back but it was loose, and there was a gap between the battery and connector (apparently, this is a pretty common problem). I managed to fix the top connector, it popped back out. I put the battery back and it looked like it was placed correctly, touching both the connectors.

I thought I fixed the issue, but now the whole device is dead! The screen is black, it won't turn on and it won't charge. Any suggestions on what to do next?

rss09

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for the quick answer 90VG :)
The way I managed to repair the top connector was sticking a thin piece of metal on top of it, so the connector popped out. I tried to avoid tearing down the whole device (I don't even think I have a screwdriver small enough).
I just tried to push the connector out even more, and it worked! So I guess the connector was still not touching the battery enough. Somehow it seems like now there isn't as much vapor. Thinking about switching to a new battery or maybe a new device

Reactions: stols001

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
It's been a while since I had one of those, but I think the spring alignment or strength of spring is really weak. I believe I stretched out the battery spring and shoved the whole thing together. But it's been a while, so I don't really remember.

Yeah, it's coming back. I shoved something under it to move it closer to the battery.

After that fix, the power button got weird, had to hit it up to 10x before it would fire. Eventually, I'd just whack it with something and then it would work. You'd hit power and it would shut off. 5 clicks to turn on, etc. Try again. My G/F of the time could never get it to work for her. I tossed it.

Look around here for decent single battery mods. I don't own that actually works perfectly still that you can still purchase.

I got the Sigelei E1 80 watt, seems nice so far, but it's only been about a week and I've only dropped it twice. Needs more abuse to recommend.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Somehow it seems like now there isn't as much vapor. Thinking about switching to a new battery or maybe a new device
Welcome and glad you joined.
If you feel lucky, could contact local B&M Vape Shop (Visit) -----Might be simple.
Buying a new device might be the safest/prudent course of action. You could cause a chemical reaction that may injure or destroy property and all possessions.

rss09

Jan 12, 2018
The Joyetech eVic-VTC looks like good quality and not too expensive.
I had a Eleaf iJust 2 too (got it from a friend) last summer and I really liked it, but I that one broke too... Am I clumsy or what? :D Or actually, the part that broke was the inside of the usb port, the usb head just wouldn't go inside anymore so the device wouldn't charge. That part might have already been a bit wonky when I first got the vape.
Is the iJust S any better? Or does anyone know about the Kanger Subvod Mega? I might go for something like that. But there's so many options! Also depends on what my local vape store has in stock. Unfortunately in my country, they cannot show the products on their website due to new regulations, so I'm gonna have to just go there and see what they have.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
The Joyetech eVic-VTC looks like good quality and not too expensive.
I had a Eleaf iJust 2 too (got it from a friend) last summer and I really liked it, but I that one broke too... Am I clumsy or what? :D Or actually, the part that broke was the inside of the usb port, the usb head just wouldn't go inside anymore so the device wouldn't charge. That part might have already been a bit wonky when I first got the vape.
Is the iJust S any better? Or does anyone know about the Kanger Subvod Mega? I might go for something like that. But there's so many options! Also depends on what my local vape store has in stock. Unfortunately in my country, they cannot show the products on their website due to new regulations, so I'm gonna have to just go there and see what they have.
I am afraid I don't know much about the mods you mention, so I'll leave debating the merits to others. I will offer, however, the broken USB port issue is quite common and is one of the two main reasons I favor removable battery mods over those with a fixed battery. Yes, those ports have a limited life cycle and you can expect them to die after a certain amount of usage, thereby rendering the entire mod useless. The other big reason I like slip battery mods is the batteries themselves also have a fixed life cycle and will die (lose their ability to retain a charge) in time. This also renders the entire mod useless as it is not cost effective to replace the batteries (or the USB port, for that matter) unless you happen to be an electronics tech who already has the tools and know-how, plus a satchel full of parts handy.

Removable battery mods obviate these problems (although they have their own, of course). Get you one of those, plus twice as many batteries as it will hold (so you have a set to charge while vaping the other) and a stand-alone charger and you will be set. The iStick Pico mods are well thought of and cheap. I don't have one, but I do have a close cousin, the Pico Squeeze, which is a BF squonk mod rather than the standard tank model, and I have had no problems with it. You can buy a kit, including the Melo 3 tank, on eBay with free (US) shipping under USD20. Add another USD15 for a Nitecore I2 charger and ten bucks or so for a pair of Samsung 30Q batteries and you can vape anywhere up to 60 watts. If you want the full 75 watts the machine is capable of, I'd recommend either the Sony VTC5A or the LG HD2C batteries, at a couple dollars more. (If you want to try the removable battery route, let's talk some more; there are certain things you should be aware of before you do regarding safety. Nothing difficult, but you need to know so you can avoid causing yourself a problem through ignorance.)

Finally, you do not mention your country, but unless your internet is heavily censored, you should be able to get specs and photos of any mod you might be interested in from locations outside your home place. Further, there are certain online stores-- one of the best known is Fasttech-- who ship worldwide for free.

Good luck, and let us know what you're thinking so we can help you.

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
Thanks for the quick answer 90VG :)
The way I managed to repair the top connector was sticking a thin piece of metal on top of it, so the connector popped out. I tried to avoid tearing down the whole device (I don't even think I have a screwdriver small enough).
I just tried to push the connector out even more, and it worked! So I guess the connector was still not touching the battery enough. Somehow it seems like now there isn't as much vapor. Thinking about switching to a new battery or maybe a new device

The metal you used may not be very conductive. In the case of these very high current devices with really low impedance loads, this could be critical. Example, if the metal has even a 0.25Ω resistance and you're using a 0.5Ω coil, you've reduced the output power by 1/3.

rss09

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for the comments and good advice.
suprtkr, Of course I can look at different devices online and that's what I've been doing. But it's impossible for me to order from an online store. I live in Finland, and there are new laws stating that any electronic cigarettes or even vape juices cannot be imported from anywhere/purchased from online stores. And as I said, even b&m stores cannot put the products on display on their website. It's ridiculous :( Luckily my local b&m store offers a good selection of products and the guys there are very helpful.
smizak, I'm not sure I understand what you wrote - I mean I just managed to pop out the top connector by using a thin piece of metal, once the connector was out I removed the metal. I didn't actually stick a piece of metal in there permanently. Hope that makes sense :D

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
suprtkr, Of course I can look at different devices online and that's what I've been doing. But it's impossible for me to order from an online store. I live in Finland, and there are new laws stating that any electronic cigarettes or even vape juices cannot be imported from anywhere/purchased from online stores. And as I said, even b&m stores cannot put the products on display on their website. It's ridiculous :( Luckily my local b&m store offers a good selection of products and the guys there are very helpful.
smizak, I'm not sure I understand what you wrote - I mean I just managed to pop out the top connector by using a thin piece of metal, once the connector was out I removed the metal. I didn't actually stick a piece of metal in there permanently. Hope that makes sense :D

Oh ok, I read it like you used the metal to bridge a gap on the battery post. I have a Subox Mini-C, the upper battery connection uses a simple spring and a plastic cap. I think they are the same mods, or very similar

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Ah, laws. Wonderful things they are. They make such a nice tinkley sound when you break them :)

rss09

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah :D But it's probably not worth the risk. I think everything over 22 euros if ordered outside EU has to be declared and not sure what would happen if the package was opened in customs. Apparently importing any electronic cigarettes, their parts or vape juices is considered smuggling and you get at least a fine... More severe smuggling (dunno what the criteria is for that tho), can get you up to 2 years in prison.
Oh well, at least vaping isn't illegal here like in some countries. In Thailand people have recently been jailed for vaping in public :O

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't break vape laws anymore (not that my particular state is chock-full of them yet). I don't even stealth vape anymore, the way I see it is that if I behave myself a) I am not endangering myself in any way and b) probably the more vapers who are caught doing so (at work or anywhere else) are just making problems for vaping generally, rather than "playing by the rules." Even if the rules sometimes suck.

I will state that I do consider vaping's future laws (most likely) and I have no problem buying a lot of DIY nic to freeze, as I think it's a lot easier to just prepare for the future, and I sincerely hope (although not entirely trust) that we're never going to get into a situation in the US where homes are raided for things purchased prior to the initiation of a new law, that doesn't SEEM to me to be how the law works here, although I will admit that well, if someone comes up with a "turn in all your now illegal nicotine" program or something, that's when I might try to get passports for my family and return to my "mother" country although they don't actually seem to have it much better over there, so maybe not.... :(

In any case, if charging via USB port sometimes a magnetic charger might be useful to avoid wear and tear, amazingly my 4 yr old smartphone is still intact and operational, but the USB port is starting to show wear, so I bought one from Fasttch. I don't think that's considered "vaping gear" if you have any other internal charge mods..... I want to avoid that problem for my Radiuses, where you really have to charge via USB even with a removable battery, due to the design. The nice thing is I can take that battery out in a year when it starts dying. The USB port is a whole other thing....

Good luck with whatever you wind up doing, but staying on the right side of the law.... yes. I'd hate to import a mod and spend money doing that and then get a fine on top of it.... and etc.

Anna

rss09

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for your message Anna :) I completely agree with you on staying on the right side of the law. I just read about vaping bans in the US and seems to vary a lot depending on the state. It's good that you guys can still order products online, hope it stays that way.

Even if regulations suck sometimes, I have to say that I understand why vaping is prohibited in most indoor areas, like bars and restaurants. It's the same here, although it changed quite recently. I remember asking a bartender if vaping was allowed inside the bar only like a year ago, and his answer was something like "err... I'm not sure. I guess you can, I don't know." There was a period when no one really knew what was allowed and what was not, because the laws started changing really fast people weren't informed enough. When online ordering was banned, there was a prolonged "transition" period, so people were still allowed to order online for some time, even though the new laws were already created.

Then there are laws I really don't get... For example, you cannot buy "complete" vape juices anymore (with PG, VG, nic and flavor put together). A b&m store owner cannot mix these for you. You have to buy all liquids separately, and nicotine can only be sold if it is a maximum of 20 mg/ml.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread