Can vape set off a smoke alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicot

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
There was a hilarious thread on here a few weeks ago about a dude who was trying to show off to his friends at work that vaping didn't set off smoke alarms. Long story short, he was wrong, and ended up making the whole office evacuate the building.

Apparently it only will set it off if the alarm's trip is based on a light beam being disrupted.

I set off the fire alarm at work with my e-cig!!

izabella

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2011
in my body in the Windy city
I read a thread here where a guy set off the smoke alarm at work...while he was trying to show his co-workers that it wouldn't set off the smoke alarm because it isn't smoke. :laugh:

He said he exhaled directly at it, and it was one of those detectors that go off if its little laser beams are disturbed (as if by smoke or dust). I prolly got that explanation wrong, but the point is it's a specific kind of detector and he took a big hit and blew right at it.

I have vaped while sitting on a chair directly under a smoke detector in a hotel room and it didn't go off.

ETA: Ha, I wasn't the only one who read (and laughed) at that thread!

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
100% vg will set off alarms. I work at a hospital and this happened to me twice while vaping in a large well ventilated bathroom. 60pg/40vg. Has not given me problems. But I'm still pretty paranoid.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I'm vaping in my dorm room with 100% VG and the smoke alarm has not been set off yet. Perhaps this one isn't one of those laser-detecting alarms that everyone is mentioning on here. I don't really know how to tell :eek:

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
If its a public univerisy you can probably count on it being the cheapest technology (are you sure they even work :lol:) Then again, I hold a lot of angst for my old school. Classrooms were state of the art, dorms were like run down military barraks. I paid good money to live in a hole with a bed and a desk.

This isn't even a university. It's just a community college, so I was thinking the same thing :p
Last semester I was able to get away with smoking in my dorm and there was a smoke alarm in there.. Probably didn't work >.> But this hall is an upgrade from my last one, so I'm not quite sure whether it would go off or not. It is definitely a different smoke alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread