Candle Wick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Has anyone ever used a 2.75mm candle wick like this instead of regular cotton? This particular kind is unwaxed, untreated, unbleached. Just wondering if it would work?

$_61.JPG

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What exactly is it made of? Is it a cotton, synthetic, or a blend of the two?
Traditional self trimming candle wick is traditionally pure cotton braided in a way that causes it to curl as it burns which pushes thewick end to the hottest part of the flame creating the self trimming feature. It was a major technological innovation many many years ago.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Traditional self trimming candle wick is traditionally pure cotton braided in a way that causes it to curl as it burns which pushes thewick end to the hottest part of the flame creating the self trimming feature. It was a major technological innovation many many years ago.
Yeah, but not all wicks are still pure cotton. A lot now has paper also woven into it, amongst other things.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Ew. That would in fact be bad.
Could be bad indeed. They use paper and other materials to slow or speed up the burning of the wick, or to increase or decrease the speed of wicking and for different types of candle waxes. If your going to use candle wicks, you really want to know what they are made of.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
100% cotton.
If that is the case, it should work. I cannot say how well it will work, if you end up using it I would be interested in hearing about it though.

From the pictures and the listing you linked, it looks as if the seller cuts it from a large spool. The only thing I would worry about there is contamination. Their product is not ment for any sort of human consumption and it is not sealed. Cotton can absorb all sorts of things, oils from one's hand for example, and that can effect flavor quite a bit.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I kinda also wonder how one might wick it and trim it and etc., unless you plan on fraying stuff and etc. And, you might! I mean I wasn't around for silica wick days and whatever, I guess I'd wonder how wide the cotton strand is, do you just want to use one piece, and how you might be able to manipulate it to fit the coil/atomizer.

I'd also wonder about contamination but I don't know too much about that issue and etc.

Are you leaning toward getting it, or passing?

Anna

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I kinda also wonder how one might wick it and trim it and etc., unless you plan on fraying stuff and etc. And, you might! I mean I wasn't around for silica wick days and whatever, I guess I'd wonder how wide the cotton strand is, do you just want to use one piece, and how you might be able to manipulate it to fit the coil/atomizer.

I'd also wonder about contamination but I don't know too much about that issue and etc.

Are you leaning toward getting it, or passing?

Anna
I think at some point I'll get it. I was hoping someone else here would have used something similar and I would have heard for sure. I'm a bad wicker. :D

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread