Can't get my coils to fire, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj9928

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2011
UK
I'm at the end of my tether trying to rebuild my Vivi Nova heads, I have done upwards of 15 attempts, 3 fired but crappy throat hit and minimal vapour, the rest never fired at all, where the hell am I going wrong? Yes I know I should use a multimeter but I don't have 1 and now I have no heads and damn all to vape :mad:

I used 2mm wick and .2 kanthal wire, I followed a Youtube turtorial but here is what I am doing, I use a pin hold the wick and pin in 1 hand, wrap the wire around 4-5 times, Put it in the head, space out the coils so they aren't touching, pull all through and remove the pin, put the little rubber bung over 1 wire and push it in, put the other little metal bit on, trim of the access wire.

Long story short damn all happens when connected to either my ego or ego twist. Some coils I can get to fire but as I say they are not working correctly. HELP

JustMe2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2013
Southern Arizona
What gauge kanthal are you using. Is it 28 or 32? I'm not sure what 0.2 is. Also make sure your head is making contact with the top of your battery. Sometimes the top of the battery gets pushed down and needs pried up a little. Otherwise are you sure you don't have a wire touching the wall and shorting out..oh and get one of those ohms readers..lol

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
It's a good idea to have a DMM just to check new heads to make sure you've got a good one. They can be bad too, and sometimes meter all over the place. When I order cartos, atties, heads, I check em all when I get them. When I pull one out of the drawer, I meter it again. I like knowing what it is before I push that button.

Getting one of these meters is one of the better investments you can make.
P1010692 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
First off you MUST have a way to check the ohms be it a device that can read it, a multimenter or a dedicated ohms meter. It is FAR to dangerous to be rebuilding without being able to check.

On the heads, some ideas
- are the legs crossed/touching inside the head
-are the coil loops touching the side of the head body?
-add an additional wrap to increase the ohms
- are your wraps so tight on the wick that they are choking off the juice flow?
- has your coil been pulled down into the heads body? you want it sort of even with the cutouts on the sides not down inside.

No idea what wire you are using. If you are doing just a normal sort of wrap setup 32 gauge Kanthal is good. If you are micro coiling then go with 30 on a protank head.

What I do with a normal wrap setup is unbend a large paperclip and hold that with the wick. Then I wrap around the wick AND the paperclip. I leave the paperclip in until AFTER I have locked down the legs. This keeps me from pulling the coil too low in the atty and keeps me from wrapping too tight. Then just slip the paperclip out.

dj9928

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2011
UK
Right guys I have had a break through, well sort off that leads to a different issue, after going through almost 1m of kanthal wire making coils with no results I remembered I had an old vision CE5, Essentially the same thing as a Vivi Nova but different centre post, put one of these non firing coils on it and hey presto we have take off. Tried another it fired, and another it fired, I have a little voltage thing taken of a machine I own the readings aren't accurate as such but the little dots illuminate anywhere between 1.5 - 3.2 depending on the number of coils I have.

I put them back on the Vivi nova and still nothing is happening, I inspected the centre post, pushed the little bar etc nothing is happening. The difference between the CE5 and the Vivi Nova centre post is the CE5 seems to be spring loaded where as the Vivi Nova is not, Is my Vivi Nova fooked or what's wrong? The CE5 is OK but the Vivi Nova holds twice as much juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread