Can't vape without choking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
i have been vaping for about a year now. When I started I loved it! No problems at all. Quitting analogs was EASY! Over the last few months though I can't seem to take a drag without choking! I have tried several different liquids, new atomizers and cartos. I tired different VG/PG combos. I even tired 100% VG. I don't know if it's the way I am dragging on the e-cig or what.
Can any one help?

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but we have to start somewhere.

How are you taking your pulls? Are you dragging straight into the lungs? Do you take the "recommended" draw - slow, steady, in the mouth, and only then inhale? Try to do so, and also open your mouth more as you inhale to mix more air into the vapor...

Are you staying well hydrated?

If these are not helpful, we can explore other possibilities...

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
The way you describe it, it looks like some sort of sensitivity that developed over time... Hmmm...

I know of people coughing due to dry hits (insufficiently wet atties), heavy menthol/cinnamon, sensitivity to PG, dry throat, etc.

I'm guessing you can develop sensitivity to anything, though...Can you experiment with 0 nic, or with a differently flavored and/or unflavored juice, trying to pin this down?

Also, something not directly related to vaping can contribute - seasonal allergies, maybe, or what they call "post-nasal drip" (it's when you have a chronic runny nose only it runs in the back of your throat instead of out) or even acid reflux at night that can make your throat sensitive... I'll try to think of other causes...

In the meantime give some thought to the less likely idea that silica wicks are thought now to put out tiny amounts of silica particles that some people might react to. As such you may want to consider rebuildable atomizers with a different wicking material (ceramic, stainless steel, or "organic")

Green Mtn Vpr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2011
VT
+1 on the juice question...what all are you using?

I have been vaping for 1.5yr and there are a couple liquids that do that to me (cinnamon being one of them if I vape more than a few hits... and once it starts, I cant hit it at all unless I go away from it for a few days) Clove in any liq did it too.

VG also bothers me the same way...worse even. I'm ok at 10%...20% and some liquids will cause throat/cough issues...and the few I had at 30% I just couldnt vape any of the 3 or 4 flavors (I actually figured this VG issue out by accident when a vendor did my 10% vg order at 30%). I know, generally people have issue with PG, but for me its VG.

If attys do it too, I'm guessing its not a polyfill prob and if you use Boge cartos for example, its prob not silica either. I would wager on something in a juice bothering you.

maybe try a straight PG liquid for a while, something simple flavor wise...if things are better start introducing variables in flavor or vg one at a time and see what triggers.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread