carto frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapinmachine

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to carto's so I expected to run into issues and make mistakes. So I just wanted to pick your brains on the subject. I'll brief you on the PV I'm using, and the other cart method I'm using as well first.

PV: eGo using standard 510 cart and 510 atty

Cart method:
Blue Foam Plug Mod - I fill my cart with 50/50 e-juice with 8 drops, insert blue foam with tweezers, then drop 2 more times with e-juice.

Carto Method:
Using LR 510 Cartomizers - I've read in discussions that cartomizers hold more e-juice. After watching some videos, I filled my cartomizers 3/4 full then reinserted the plastic peice and rubber peice at the end. I'm getting about 15 drops, so it is a little more than the cart.

Problem:
At first the cartomizer was working fantastic. Filled it with 15 drops and vaped away. Because I was using a LR atty, I believe it used more e-juice per puff, thus the cartomizer dried up faster than using my standard cart method. This was disappointing. Another disappointment was that after refilling it the second time I flooded the atomizer. The cartomizer began filling my mouth with e-juice time after time after time. Then the cartomizer died completely. This happened to 3 cartomizers. I tried using less juice and I still somehow flooded them after refilling them the 2nd to 3rd time.

I was wondering where I went wrong, or if there are some things I haven't considered. I have decided to stick with the carts for now.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I really want to try a bigger cart, as the 510 carts just dont last that long and I'm tired of using 6-10 carts per day.. I was hoping I could use like 2 cartos a day or something..

Last edited:

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Take this with a grain of salt, of course, since I'm relatively new to all this.

For one, the LR cartos seemed great for first use, but refilling them did not bode well for me. The taste quickly got bad; burning taste and sometimes a spit like flavor. I didn't clean them but I also only refilled them maybe 3-4 times.

As for the over filling. For one, use the Taryn spin to get the juice in there. It will allow you to put more drops in. You should be able to get anywhere from 25-35 small drops in with that method. (EDIT-In a NEW, BLANK carto) Search for the link to get an idea of how to do it properly.

Once it's filled, lightly blow through the mouthpeice, into a napkin, for a good 30 seconds (after the taryn spin). If nothing comes out, you shouldn't get any juice in your mouth. Looking through the hole in the light should also give you a good indication if it's clear. If you can see through it, you're probably not going to get any juice in your mouth.

Last edited:

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Yeah, what skri said, you should be able to get 25-30 drops in there. use a version of a spin to drive that stuff down in there. I like to put the caps back on to serve as tires and roll the carto quickly across the kitchen counter to produce a centrifical force. It works for me. Making a "vroom, vroom" sound as you do this is optional. :)
BTW, FYI, I just got a package from madvapes a few hours ago with a 510 to kr808/901 adapter and some 808 cartos. I hooked this all up to my Riva and as Martha Stewart would say "It's a good thing". Much more flavor than the 510 carto that I just took off and a warmer vapor (I like that). Just thought I'd share.

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Making a "vroom, vroom" sound as you do this is optional...
...510 to kr808/901 adapter and some 808 cartos. I hooked this all up to my Riva and as Martha Stewart would say "It's a good thing". Much more flavor than the 510 carto that I just took off and a warmer vapor (I like that). Just thought I'd share.

"vroom, vroom" ?? You probably really do this, don't you Mist? LOL

Regarding the 510:808, what's the capacity of this carto. Been thinking of trying this for a while...and I think you just sold me.

To OP:

Get regular resistance cartos (I use Boge). I don't think it's wise run a hotter coil inside the filling of cartos...even regular cartos burn the filler to some degree no matter how much attention you give to keeping them wet. That's why I toss mine after refilling about 3ml even if they're still working perfectly...for my peace of mind.

If you want the LR experience, use LR atties. And as you found out, LR burns juices faster (also battery charge).

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
I started vaping for the first time 7 days ago, after smoking analogs for 40+ years .. Marlboro Reds. I read this forum for 2 weeks before deciding which PV to purchase, and decided on the eGo.

My eGo arrived and from the very first "drag" I knew I had fallen in love and was shocked to find that I didnt want my analogs anymore .. hooray!

BUT after a little while, I was no longer satisfied. I llooked into my cartridge and saw that it was empty, it had only lasted 45 minutes .. yikes!

So I refilled it, vaped some more and that cart also was empty in 45 minutes. So then I ran here, to the ECF boards, to see if I was doing something wrong .. why was I having to refill every 45 minutes?

I soon realized that is how it was going to be with my eGo .. sad but true. And what a pain to have to refill and switch out 10-12 carts a day.

THEN I saw the new eGo mega cartomizers for sale .. they hold 2.5 ml of liquid. Thinking that might be the answer to my problem I quickly ordered some. To make a long story short, they arrived yesterday, along with a syringe that I also ordered to be able to refill them.

I have been in vaping heaven ever since!!! Bliss .. sheer bliss. Hours and hours of vaping heaven.

Do the new cartomizers have problems? Yes, but just minor annoyances as far as I am concerned. You cant see inside them, so you might waste a few drops of liquid when you refill them. Do they leak? Yes if you put in more than 2 ml, but you can quickly soak up the leak and learn not to put too much in the next time, and you need to refill them s-l-o-w-l-y. Are they disposable? Yes, they will die after 3 or 4 refills .. although I havent had mine long enough for one to die yet.

They also now have the new mega cartridges that hold 2 ml .. those are much larger than the small size cartridges that came in the eGo kit, they are just like a stardard cartridge, with regular filler, and of course you can see inside them for refilling, however they dont work on the standard size eGo atomizers, they use a new larger "mega" atomizer. I will probably switch to those in the future but right now I have 6 extra regular size atomizers and dont want to spend the extra $ getting the mega's.

Even with it's few faults, the new eGo 2.5 ml mega cartomizers are great .. one fill is providing me with hours and hours of bliss!

oettinger

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
Tampa, Fl.
BTW, FYI, I just got a package from madvapes a few hours ago with a 510 to kr808/901 adapter and some 808 cartos. I hooked this all up to my Riva and as Martha Stewart would say "It's a good thing". Much more flavor than the 510 carto that I just took off and a warmer vapor (I like that). Just thought I'd share.

SEE I AM NOT CRAZY!!! I have been saying for people to use the 510>901 with 808 cartos for WEEKS, and MOST people just roll there eyes, or tell me that it is DUMB, why not use 510 cartos??

Thank you Mist for verifying my claim.

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Nice to see someone has respect around here.:oops:
:ohmy: I have been saying it for WEEKS shaka, I never converted you??:ohmy:

Hey Oetti. I heard you loud and clear, but Mist used my idol Martha Stewart!! I joke, I kid. And I didn't roll my eyes (well, maybe just a little, lol) or call you dumb, that's why my statement says "Been thinking of trying this for a while..." But I still want to know how much the 808 holds before taking the plunge.

vapinmachine

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah, I must say that after using the condom refill method and teryn spin I've been able to sucessfully refill my LAST carto (after ruining the 1st 4 :() with no problems, although it still doesn't hold enough juice. Lasts a LITTLE longer than regular carts.

I'll probably vape my carts / atomizers away then look into getting the HELLO, GOODBYE MOD. Then of course, adding mega atomizers and Mega carts. I'm not too fond of the carto idea because I don't like the thought of having to throw away lots of cartos. Carts seem to be reusable indefinitely, and atomizers last quite a while. I've been using my 2nd atty (I have 6 more) for a month now and its still running strong.

I would hate to have to replace cartos after 3 refills. To think of all the plastic going in landfills, and having to constantly buy cartos just doesn't seem economic to me.

skri11a

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2010
Houston
Oettinger, I started with premiumecigs which are 808's. The only carts I had tried with it were the ones that came with the starter kit and I didn't get any vapor and they were kind of hard to draw on. When I got my provape, I bought an adapter to use my 510's on the 808 batts and it made a world of difference. I do notice the taste problem and they do need to be refilled often but I just figured it was a helluva improvement over the 808's that came with the premiums.

I have the new version 2 510 carts on the way but if they have the problems that are being reported, I think I'll try your suggestion and get some empty 808's and see how they work for me.

I'm still new to this and I'm trying to find my "sweet-spot" so I'm willing to try any suggestions from helpful members like you to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread