Not open for further replies.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
Not by me,

But By that innovator Nicowolf...

Rejoice, it's confirmed--It works without the need to modify a thing...

Size N Coaxial DC Power Jack w/Switch - RadioShack.com

This is Nicowolf's find, he gets the credit, I saw his post referencing a possible 901 battery end connection, so I bought one to see if it would work for my Nebula

IT DOES!!!!

See his post for which connection goes where and a little bridge tweak that really makes it simple.

Link to the 901 thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/14364-how-dc-jack-901-fitting.html

There are two kinds of cartomizers, one with a slot across the center pole and one without...

This works fine as is with the slotted carts, and the carts without the slot will require a slight bend of the connector's center pole (so you maintain air flow of course)

Hallelujah !!!

It's a good day for us KR808D-1 users

Thanks Nicowolf
fo

PS, We KR808D-1 users need to find stuff too, there's hardly any mod threads for us.

That's why I posted this Thread....

Regards

Edit:
This is so great, took the wife out to dinner, came home and built a manual USB passthrough...vaping at 5 volts as I update this...

I did have to grind about a mm. off the male thread barrel to insure contact with all my carts...

Thanks Nicowolf fantastic

Last edited:

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Welcome to the mod jungle.

nicowolf is a she ;)

But of course you had no way to know unless you came across the only one post that mentions it. :p

Yes, cartomizers are not a favorite of modders, even though I have been using them since day one on and off. they have their own good and bad things. The best being how much vapor they put out.

-

Last edited:

googled

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
ukvapers.com
I'm a bit confused by this so excuse me if I'm missing something obvious. The issue with 808D's isn't getting power to them, they willl happily be powered by a 901 battery/battery connector in a mod, it's airflow, 808D batteries have two small air-holes in the battery connector which obviously 901's do not. You either would have to drill one or two air-holes at the battery thread or drill the cartomizer.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Strange as it may seem, these dc connectors also come with a hole in the threads.

but yes, the kr808D-1s require air flow at the connection point---also stock bats require suction to the bat, as they have auto pressure switches...

The store bought connector I used for my USB gizmo has a center pole which "can" on the cartomizers with the tapered (for juice) or beveled center holes, block them, and make the draw next to impossible...

...However, one doesn't need much air flow to have a pleasant draw.

You can just back off a tad on the threads and make even these beveled carts work---that's my experience so far anyway.

I did have to grind a bit off the thread barrel to make contact with these e.g. more recessed "beveled" carts...

I assure you, these dc connectors really work, in fact I prefer them to the battery ends as they are much less fiddly to solder...

they are suggested here for battery mods with manual switches, but I guess you could drill 901 bats and use 808d-1 carts if you wanted?

I'd suggest getting the new long bats for the 808d-1s as they are fairly robust...

I'b be happy to post some pictures for you, just say the word

Best Regards
fo

Last edited:

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Will the N coax also fit the dse801 atty's???

It only fits the 901 and apparently the KR808D-1.

fono,

There are hundreds of posts about cartomizers, but they are much older, it is a forgotten format by most modders because it has "burning" problems.

Search for cartomizer on the mod section and you will find tons of info.

-

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Nice,

I suppose we have to give credit where credit is due...

The three piece unit, and the 510 battery are perhaps the central reason we even have a Modder's forum...

I guess it's my lack of experience that allows me to be pleased with my Nebula purchase?

I have lost 3 cartomizers to burning in the last 36 days, but they all occurred in the first week...

That driving blind routine we newbs do looking for the warning sign, trying to find the limits of our carts...

They exist, but only if you go there...

Since then, I've become sort of a connoisseur, actually, I don't even bother filling from the cap or mouth end anymore.

20 or so puffs, then three or four drops through the battery end---Ah, the freshness, that's what I like.

I bought this kr808d-1 after noticing the three piece models seem to be the subject of nearly all the mod posts.

It's all how you look at it I suppose?

I'm not happy with the Nebula batteries even though they have nearly twice the life others, the 510 being one of the weakest, and

No tea bags to snip and fold, no threat of juice leaks, no paper clip to fine tune your bag sag, dang I could go on and on...

An Atty in every cart, a USB in every ride, a smile on every kr808d-1 owner's face.

we're just too inexperienced to know we've made an unfortunate choice..

Actually I'm done modding---

I've got my Nico stick battery mod, and my two 5v.USB powered units...one for home, one in my ride;so...

With a fresh atty in every cart, and a five pack of carts for swinging 8 bucks?

I'm truly sorry, just I don't feel all that uninformed, or disadvantaged for lack of things to mod...

Mod on, I'm good

My Very Best Regards, and Thanks to all the Modders
fo

Last edited:

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Nice,

I suppose we have to give credit where credit is due...

The three piece unit, and the 510 battery are perhaps the central reason we even have a Modder's forum...

I guess it's my lack of experience that allows me to be pleased with my Nebula purchase?

I've have lost 3 cartomizers to burning in the last 36 days, but they all occurred in the first week...

That driving blind routine we newbs do looking for the warning sign, trying to find the limits of our carts...

They exsist, but only if you go there...

Since then, I've become sort of a connoisseur, actually, I don't even bother filling from the cap or mouth end anymore.

20 or so puffs, then three or four drops through the battery end---Ah, the freshness, that's what I like.

I bought this kr808d-1 after noticing the three piece models seem to be the subject of nearly all the mod posts.

It's all how you look at it I suppose?

I'm not happy with the Nebula batteries even though they have nearly twice the life others, the 510 being one of the weakest, and

No tea bags to snip and fold, no threat of juice leaks, no paper clip to fine tune your bag sag, dang I could go on and on...

An Atty in every cart, a USB in every ride, a smile on every kr808d-1 face.

we're just too inexperienced to know we've made an unfortunate choice..

Actually I'm done modding---

got my Nico stick mod, and my two 5v.USB powered units...one for home, one in my ride;

With a fresh atty in every cart, and a five pack for swing 8 bucks?

just I don't feel all that disadvantaged...

Mod on, I'm good

Best Regards
fo

Despite the fact that you seem to love drama and some failed attempt at sarcasm, the forum has been here long before you or even me ever tested the first vape, (whatever it was).

While no atomizer model is perfect, there are obviously preferences and nothing wrong with that, besides the fact that cartomizers DO burn the material that surrounds the coil.

There are many other reasons why most, (and I don't say all), modders do not even think about cartomizers...

1 cartomizer costs roughly $1.50 to $2 a piece.
You can probably re-fill it 4-5 times without getting a burnt taste.

Any other atomizer will cost $8 to $11 a piece
You can probably use it with 200+ refilled cartridges and MAYBE at that point it will just die.

So, as you can see the $numbers$ just don't match.

The other consideration is that most modders are heavy vapers, and that is why we become modders in the first place, trying to find ways to make the power source last longer than it does with factory batteries, and have bigger, longer lasting ways to hold/drip juice, cartomizers work for people that puff a couple of times, put it down and go back to it later.

Most newbies fall into the cartomizer scheme, because in general the suppliers that sell them have the fancier websites or even the stands in malls to attract more people, they are also much easier to use and therefore they attract the majority of people which don't want to deal with much more than what they are used to when smoking analogs.

We all over payed the first time we ordered an e-cig regardless of what we got, and I did get cartomizers together with a pen style the very first time.
For some reason people are attracted to name brands and that is what the majority go for, not realizing that they all are manufactured by the same factory but just "re labeled" to pretend they are something better, quality, price, performance, etc. It is all about the looks for most, many will rather pay as much as $50 over price, just to feel "safer" because the box or the e-cig itself has certain name printed on it.

I still use cartomizers now and then, and while they do produce more vapor with less hassle, I still have to figure out how to make the price work better against the non disposable atomizers, and my original reason to try e-cigs was to save money not to quit smoking.
Just so you understand the difference between a heavy vaper and an average one...

If I pop a brand new cartomizer on my favorite mod and start vaping, if I am lucky, after 1 hour I will have to refill it or toss it out.

How long does it last for you?

I don't even use the PTB and never fiddle around with carts, I use the original filler material, just drip into them and very rarely replace them, some prefer to find out better ways of doing it.

So the modders section serves many different tastes and preferences but the cartomizer fans are normally in other areas, because they believe they don't "need" to do anything extra to get what they need, so why bother with all this stuff here in the mod section?

Your lack of experience has nothing to do with your choice, how much you use your e-cig does.

--

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Sure happy to help...

I take twenty or so puffs, then freshen up the cart with three or four drops...haven't burned one yet since I've used this technique.

No wonder you burn carts, 1 hour of heavy blind vaping with a what? 5 or 6v mod...with ZERO thought to your cart?

No wonder you've burned them..

Wish i could help, wait!!

Don't do that, and you'll be fine.

Best of luck
We good?

Hope so
fo

PS. smokers have an enforced time out--maybe you just forgot what you're doing here?

you can't abuse something, then fault it, you have to be smarter than your cart...

Take a break, every ten minutes or so, refresh your lungs, refresh your cart...

You know that right?

To thy own self be true...thou cannot then be false to any man...etc.

Perseverance dear my Lord keeps honor bright...

Love the Bard
f

Last edited:

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
1 cartomizer costs roughly $1.50 to $2 a piece.
You can probably re-fill it 4-5 times without getting a burnt taste.
--

Hey warp, first of all I've learned a lot from you and others on here and this is actually a question in earnest so no sarcastic BS here I'm actually looking for someone's experienced opinion...

I have noticed that a lot of people say the same thing about the refill limit being anywhere from 3 to upwards of 6 or so times. I have been using a cartomizer (to see how long it will take it before sying) on a USB passthrough the last couple of days and it doesn't TASTE burned yet, and my others I've kept using don't seem bad either.

Are there perhaps different kinds of cartomizers? I know the ones I did have die have 2 slots on the bottom, and the ones that just keep chicking along have 4 slots on the bottom (air intakes or whatever)

Anyway, the point being is that I am wanting to work on a mod for the wife, and to a rebuild how-to on these, but if the point is moot - I really don't want to post something that is just going to be a drag for everyone else. LOL

Take care,
- Hap

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Sure happy to help...

I take twenty or so puffs, then freshen up the cart with three or four drops...haven't burned one yet since I've used this technique.

No wonder you burn carts, 1 hour of heavy blind vaping with a what? 5 or 6v mod...with ZERO thought to your cart?

No wonder you've burned them..

Wish i could help, wait!!

Don't do that, and you'll be fine.

Best of luck
We good?

Hope so
fo

PS. smokers have an enforced time out--maybe you just forgot what you're doing here?

you can't abuse something, then fault it, you have to be smarter than your cart...

Take a break, every ten minutes or so, refresh your lungs, refresh your cart...

You know that right?

To thy own self be true...thou cannot then be false to any man...etc.

Perseverance dear my Lord keeps honor bright...

Love the Bard
f

First of all I said I would be lucky if I get one hour.

Second, you don't need to explain anything to me, since I have already tried it myself, just open one of your cartomizer after 20 puffs and take the material out and you will finally understand what I mean. (I hope)

Third, you are so paranoid its not even funny.

Fourth, glad to see you add some patronizing on top of your usual non effective sarcasm.

Last, WTF? :confused::confused:

As far as I'm concerned, I support you 100% in your decision to not mod anymore.

---

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Hap.

I know the question was aimed a warp, but I not sure he has enough informed experience with these not to hate them, dis them, dismiss them...

Maybe I'm wrong? but he doesn't seem to think them worth his effort...

On rebuilding them--You'd have to be able to remove the entire bat end cap, is it glued? is it soldered? how is that thing put in there? I don't know?

I've had zero luck getting that cap off of my throw away ones...

On the mod issue--Good news, radio shack makes a perfect fit, perfectly outfitted dc connector...

Do a search you no longer need to mess-up a battery to get a connector..

Nico stick mod seems to be very easy, also USB mods are dead simple...

Let's see what we get from wrap...

There's different end cap, slotted, not slotted, but all the interiors appear identical...that's what I've seen anyway
fo

PS. we may have lost warp to his inner dialog...??? that what it looks anyway..?

hope he's ok

Last edited:

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Hey warp, first of all I've learned a lot from you and others on here and this is actually a question in earnest so no sarcastic BS here I'm actually looking for someone's experienced opinion...

I have noticed that a lot of people say the same thing about the refill limit being anywhere from 3 to upwards of 6 or so times. I have been using a cartomizer (to see how long it will take it before sying) on a USB passthrough the last couple of days and it doesn't TASTE burned yet, and my others I've kept using don't seem bad either.

Are there perhaps different kinds of cartomizers? I know the ones I did have die have 2 slots on the bottom, and the ones that just keep chicking along have 4 slots on the bottom (air intakes or whatever)

Anyway, the point being is that I am wanting to work on a mod for the wife, and to a rebuild how-to on these, but if the point is moot - I really don't want to post something that is just going to be a drag for everyone else. LOL

Take care,
- Hap

No worries Hap,

Once the original flavor on your cartomizer is gone, open it up, disassemble it and you will see it is burned close to the core. (coil) You have probably already done that.
They probably will last much longer, but it makes most suspicious of what you are inhaling and lazy about the refilling process.

You will not necessarily get the burnt taste but it does burn.
Now, when does it exactly happen?...I don't know.
Many have done tests here and show pics of it, I never believe anything until I can prove it to myself, and I have.

As I explained earlier, I do use cartomizers now and then and I am not so concerned with burning stuff, but I am lazy in refilling them, it takes a lot more work, considering I have to drip in my cartridges every 10 puffs or so.

Some people are very special about what is in their carts and juice, etc., I really don't care considering I smoked like a sailor for so many years and lived almost all my life in some of the most highly polluted cities in the world.

So take it for what its worth Haplo, I know many also complain about getting burnt taste on other and every type of atomizer, I do sometimes.

So if it matches your vaping preference and works better for you, you should stick to it unless you consider it a risk. (I wouldn't).

I know many including me would like to see your mod whatever it is and regardless of what it uses.
The modders are and have never been against cartomizers.

Most mods including the ones that seem a repetition of the repetition have something that might hint us into other better things or ways.
That is exactly what the forum is about.
Don't think that because cartomizers are not the subject of the day they are not used by many.

EDIT- All the cartomizers I have used look very similar in construction, I have purchased from several suppliers and also had a few with "brand names"

--

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread