cartomizer vs clearomizer for my provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
I was told that most people use cartomizers with provaris. I have always used clearomizers and heard the main difference between a clearo and carto is the cartomizers ability to hold more liquid. Are there any other advantages? I'm curious as to why cartomizers are supposedly more popular.

What are the names of some good cartomizers? Thanks much

Wmmeese

Dedicated Lurker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
St Louis
I don't think using a Provari is any different than any other quality variable voltage PV. In my experience, most people move from cartomizers soon after they start vaping and have switched from the smaller batteries and EGO style. Many try the Carto tanks which are just a blank (Unfilled) cartomizer with a hole punched in the side and inserted into a tank filled with e-juice. My preference are rebuild able/replaceable Tanks such as the Protank, T3 or Vivi Nova. These all have replaceable heads/coils which can be purchased at a small expense with a choice of resistance. I prefer the bottom coil tanks like the Protank as they provide a cooler vape. With the Provari, you are limited to 510 types unless you purchase an adapter. Hope this helps, maybe more information than you where looking for. Bottom line is use whatever you like, the Provari is not limited to any one type.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
I currently use a kanger t3 on my ego twist. Is this what you were referring to as your preference? Would a provari need an adapter to use a kanger t3? Where do I find these adapters/do you have a link?

You said "Most people move from cartomizers soon after they start vaping", by this do you mean people start out with egos/smaller batteries and cartos and move away from this to a clearomizer?

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I currently use a kanger t3 on my ego twist. Is this what you were referring to as your preference? Would a provari need an adapter to use a kanger t3? Where do I find these adapters/do you have a link?

You said "Most people move from cartomizers soon after they start vaping", by this do you mean people start out with egos/smaller batteries and cartos and move away from this to a clearomizer?

Adapter - 510 Battery to eGo Cartomizer

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
It's a matter of personal preference. If you like clearomizers, there's no reason to change as long as you're satisfied with their performance.

A lot of people use cartotanks because they get more flavor out of them.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each and whether the tradeoffs are worthwhile is totally subjective.

For example, clearos have the advantage of taking seconds to fill. But they have the disadvantage of occasional leaking once the liquid gets low. Cartos have the advantage of fuller flavor and more vapor, but the disadvantage of a more involved priming, shaking and filling process. Again, whether the advantages are worth dealing with the disadvantages is totally up to you.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I'm a tank guy, specifically a bcc tank kind of guy. Used PT's when I first received my Provari, came with the starter kit. Since then I moved on to rba's. I have the Russian rba and 2 Rocket rba's they are Kayfun style rba's. These tanks hold ~4.3ml of juice, So one is good for a whole day at work. I like having several so that I can easily rotate juices. If you are looking for an inexpensive tank, that has had great reviews, take a look at the Aspire Vivi Nova BDC tank. They are supposed to put the kanger Protank to shame, not that saying much, but still., if I wasn't into rba's I'd definitely pick up an Aspire or two, for $10 each and replaceable head, you can't go wrong.

Far as the kanger T3, yes you can get an adaptor for the Provari to fire these, Provape has them in their accessory section, and I'm sure there are other vendors that have them too. Just sear "Provari kanger T3 adaptor" and you should find something.

Also I have a genesis rba that I fiddle with from time to time, but the Russian is just more dependable, easy to build, and has just as good of vape that I don't use it much. Working on a Nano Dragon hybrid coil for it, but been playing with my new Rockets, and mixing juice, so the genesis has been neglected.

Do yourself a favor, search the different rba's cartos, and drippers, to see what suits your needs best, then get something that will make the Provari fly like an eagle. I never liked the carto design, reminded me to much of the cigalike blanks, and seemed a bit fussy. But that's just me. Everyone has the favorites and dislikes. I had the best luck with BCC tanks, so that's what attracted me when I started searching rba's. Good luck and Vappy Trails to You.!! Oh and congrats on the big P purchase, sure you'll have lots of vappy clouds in your future.

nqabassist26

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
SoCal
Cartomizers have always given me a better throat hit and a more "saturated" flavor while bottom wicking clearomizers (Protank) give me a "cleaner" taste and a cooler vape.

There is no general answer to your question, as it is all based on opinion. Cartotanks are a bigger pain to set up, but are a breeze once they are ready and have a good reputation of not leaking. Clearomizer tanks are easy as sin to set up and maintain, but can leak and get "gurgly" sometimes which requires some additional time to alleviate the problems.

I'd try both if you have the opportunity and choose the one you like more. If you decide to try a carto, Single Coil Boge cartos are always a good place to start and can be bought cheaply from reputable sites like crystalclearvaping.com

And as for people telling you that Provari owners use cartotanks, they might be mistaken or misinformed. Some of us enjoy our Kayfuns and Gennys on our Provari greatly.:vapor:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    You can use anything you want on a Provari (within reason) Just remember that it has a 3.5 amp limiter. What works best is totally up to you. I could tell you what I use, but there would be no guarantee that you won't hate it. So use what you like, and don't worry about what I like.
    Right now mine has a 1.5(ish) ohm coil in an A7 RDA on it.

bosun

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 24, 2013
    in between the ice ages
    I came to Provari from 808 cig alikes. Still using cartos and clearos from the 808's (using adapters) on the Big P. Have one Vivi Nova tank (3 mil capacity) with the 510 screw thread plus 510 cartos & clearos. Retired so I'm very rarely far away from my equipment/juice bottles so I don't have to worry about carrying multiple toppers so I don't run out of juice. Right now have 2 clearos, a carto, and the tank filled with 4 different juices. Unscrew one, put on another. Use what equipment you have if it fits your needs. As my 808 gear (including 808 batts used as backups) fail due to attrition I'll be going to 510 devices entirely. I read reviews/complaints/compliments on the different brands & devices...trying to avoid buying the 'latest and greatest' on a whim/just to have another toy..

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    i am still using ce4 s with no problem and without any leaks. cheap and disposable.

This is great, and another example of the immutable law of vaping: Everyone's mileage varies.

There are people on here who would be HORRIFIED at the thought of slapping a cheap, disposable CE4 clearo atop their Knight in Shining Armor.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    Clearos are great starting devices because they are easy to use, and now, with replaceable heads, easy to maintain. However, the best clearos don't give near the flavor and vapor as a good carto tank, imho. I tried over 40 different clearos in my seach for the best vape. I think the Protank II is the best clearo on the market, particularly when you build your own coils with cotton. Really good, imho.

However, a well primed, double punched Boge Carto in a nice Phiniac or IBTanked tank, is a far better vape, again, just my opinion. YMMV. But vaping is about all kinds of interests. For some, chasing the best vape is not nearly as important as saving money and not buying the newest shiny thing. For me it was the opposite, and while I appreciated the advice of the experts here on ECF, I still had to find out for myself what was best. What I found, is that different people like different things. Often, they just don't know any better. I remember when the vivi nova came out, everybody was raving about them. So, I bought several, different sizes, colors, etc. Was it good? Yes, but compared to what? Compared with a CE# clearo, it was great. Compared with a Protank II, it's not in the same ballpark. But, it's subjective, not gospel.

I've tried them all, pretty much, and your question is a very common one. It seems like there is a fairly predictable evolution in toppers starting with cigalikes => CE# top coils => RBA top coils (vivi nova) => RBA bottom Coils (Protank, Davide) => cartomizers => carto tanks => Atomizers (this can go anywhere and is often found earlier for juice tastings) => RDA's (Igo's, Origen) => RBA's (gennies-RSST, kayfun's (and clones), Ithaka's (and clones) => Advanced coil setups (changes to wick, wire, mesh, rope, ribbon, etc.).

Obviously, everyone's journey is a bit different, but there are better devices that CE clearos, though if they work for you, great. Also, building your own coils and mastering battery safety, Ohm's Law, coils, etc. is not on everyone's agenda, particularly new vapers. But, the longer you vape, the more curiosity you have, the more you read, etc., the more open you become to upgrades, variety, etc. The main thing is to enjoy the Journey. Your personal VapeQuest is yours alone, and what works for you, might not work for others. Personally, my ADV is a carto tank on a provari, but you can't beat my Kayfun 3.1 in hybrid mode on my Semovar. Best vape I've had so far, and best gear too. To each their own. Good luck to you.

20130729_151231.jpg 2013080895161056.jpg Semovar with Kayfun 3.1 in hybrid mode.jpg

A few different devices that I've tried and used. Some Displays. The Semovar/Kayfun Hybrid.

For me, I had to try them all, literally...

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    I don't like Cartos for two reasons.

1st. I can taste that Polyester Fill. Bleck!!
    2nd Have you ever seen how the Polyester Shrinks after a week or so. I don't know where that shrinkage is going but I have my suspicions.

To me Cartos Taste Dirty.

I know others who can taste the polyfill as well and don't like them for the same reason. However, I'm not one of them and change my carto's out every day or two, about a box a week. Love that just primed fresh carto flavor and vapor. YMMV.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I don't like Cartos for two reasons.

1st. I can taste that Polyester Fill. Bleck!!
    2nd Have you ever seen how the Polyester Shrinks after a week or so. I don't know where that shrinkage is going but I have my suspicions.

To me Cartos Taste Dirty.

It's true there are a minority of individuals who can taste the polyfill of a carto, and for those individuals a carto or a cartotank is not a good option. There are also a minority of individuals who can taste the plastic of a clearomizer, and for those they will need to find a pyrex clearo (Protank) or pyrex cartotank.

Being that a cartomizer's polyfill is a sponge-like absorbable material it's logical that after some use the "top" of the polyfill will compress after the affects of suction from vaping. It's normal and natural. That doesn't affect the the real "working area" of the carto, which is around the heating coil in the lower third of the cartomizer. As long as the filler around the heating coil stays wet with e-liquid the carto should continue to work fine.

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread