• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

CBC Radio The Current will discuss Ecigs this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghammer

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2012
Toronto
At least that first woman interviewed acknowledged "there's virtually no chance an e-cigarette could be as harmful as a tobacco cigarette". Overall though, it's a nugget of gold buried in a pile of SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!! crap. I'm getting so tired of the whole "gateway" argument. vaping is no more a gateway to smoking cigarettes than (OTHER STUFF) is a gateway to (OTHER STUFF).

We don't hear this kind of breathless hand-wringing over alcohol. But of course we don't- that's socially accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:

froghammer

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2012
Toronto
You know what I truly will believe will save vaping on both a social and business level? Celebrity and other high-profile endorsements. We already have a bunch on our side. Hopefully they feel as strongly about it as we do and want to help. Leonardo DiCaprio is vaping full time now from what I can tell.

As stupid and shallow as celebrity endorsements are, they help.

froghammer

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2012
Toronto
I wrote this in:

Thanks for doing a spot on the growing adoption of e-cigs. It seems like this month was the tipping point for every news outlet in Canada. I quit smoking two months ago with the help of e-cigarettes and I can't express how overjoyed I am about having avoided smoking over 2100 cigarettes thus far.

I had smoked on average about 16 cigarettes a day for the past 20 years and tried to quit many, many times. Cold turkey didn't work. Patches didn't work. Gum didn't work (I know someone who got addicted to that, by the way. Now THERE is an expensive habit!). Zyban worked for a while but the side effects were pretty horrible. I should add that I took Zyban three different times over the years and my best result with it was 8 months. However, that doesn't really matter much if I picked it up again, now does it? Also, did I mention the side effects? Haha. They were not fun for me OR my wife. Check out the recidivism rates for those more "traditional" quitting methods. They're terrible. So I think my experience is fairly typical.

And then I got an e-cig. I didn't know if it would work, but I bought it anyway. Thankfully, it worked from the moment I tried it and haven't gone back since. Unless you're a smoker that's had a hard time quitting it's fairly hard to convey what a big deal this is. It addresses the hardest part of quitting smoking, which is the habit aspect of it. Smoking gets associated with everything you do. Your routine gets built around it.

Sure, some people are able to quit cold turkey with seemingly no problems. I envy those people because I am definitely not one of them. So now I vape. And it's working to keep me off of cigarettes. I realize it isn't as ideal as quitting altogether but if the alternative is cigarettes with all of their horrible chemicals, I'm okay with that.

Dave

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
I listened to the show. I had to laugh at the guest Melody Tilson who agreed that e-cigs are less harmful for the individual than cigarettes, then later states that HC prohibits any health claims such as healthier alternative and if they do so it is illegal. Geez, talk about talking out both sides of your mouth.

Miss Tilson is a policy director with a Non-Smokers Right Association. There concern is e-cigs will normalize smoking. They don't want to see vaping done in the workplace or any other place where smoking isn't allowed. They sound like a "nanny state" group to me. To group vapers with smokers is ridiculous.

All members should listen to this broadcast, which can be heard at the above posted link. This is what we're up against folks.

froghammer

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2012
Toronto
Hey now- they're not jumping on the "evil e-cig bandwagon". They're doing pieces on this because it's big enough now to come to their attention.

And they have a for and an against side. Just because someone says stuff you don't agree with doesn't mean it shouldn't be said. We had "our guy" on there as well and he said his piece.

Last edited:

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
My response to the CBC The Current

In response to your e-cigarette program aired Jan. 29, 2013. I have been using e-cigarettes for 18 weeks now without touching a tobacco cigarette. Without a doubt my health has improved ten fold. I am addicted to nicotine. If e-cigarette products were removed from the marketplace, I would be smoking tobacco almost immediately. I take exception to the comments that the patches and gums are a proven smoking cessation products. I have used the patch in the past and still smoked a pack of cigarettes a day while on the patch. I don't know anyone who has quit smoking by these methods. To me, these are totally unproven cessation products, yet they contain nicotine. I know many people who have quit using e-cigarettes, and many who have reduced their tobacco intake using this product. I certainly can't say that about what Big Pharma pushes. I personally promote the benefits of e-cigarettes and encourage tobacco smokers to switch. To Melody Tilson of the Non-Smoking Association I would ask, if you realize that e-cigarettes are healthier for the individual than traditional tobacco cigarettes, why are you opposed to advertising them that way? Sorry Miss Tilson, I don't buy the whole gateway thing. E-cigarettes are my gateway off of traditional tobacco.

Dashe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2013
Fraser Valley, BC
Hey now- they're not jumping on the "evil e-cig bandwagon". They're doing pieces on this because it's big enough now to come to their attention.

And they have a for and an against side. Just because someone says stuff you don't agree with doesn't mean it shouldn't be said. We had "our guy" on there as well and he said his piece.

Um, haven't heard it yet. Not sure where you're getting "says stuff I don't agree with". There is however, a growing amount of media coverage on the subject of electronic cigarettes that has been largely uninformed and therefore largely inaccurate. Do some deep research on general media coverage with a focus on business oriented reporting, and my viewpoint will make more sense.

In the meantime, please don't lecture me on my opinions regarding the media. I live with "the media", and I'm deeply, deeply cynical regarding the accuracy and the impartiality of any media outlet in Canada today, including the CBC. With good reason.

Ayce

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2011
Saint John NB Canada
Listening to it now.
I don't agree with the "gateway drug" idea either. That's like saying "if you take asprin, the next step is ......!" (A Big step!) If anything, I think, if someone started using an ecig, and they did try an analog, they wouldn't like the taste or smell.

It's the "cool factor" that matters.

Oh yeah, just hearing the guy from SmokeNV talking about their product. I can get the cartos locally, and I sling out the non nic juice, and use my own in them. :)

Last edited:

froghammer

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2012
Toronto
Um, haven't heard it yet. Not sure where you're getting "says stuff I don't agree with". There is however, a growing amount of media coverage on the subject of electronic cigarettes that has been largely uninformed and therefore largely inaccurate. Do some deep research on general media coverage with a focus on business oriented reporting, and my viewpoint will make more sense.

In the meantime, please don't lecture me on my opinions regarding the media. I live with "the media", and I'm deeply, deeply cynical regarding the accuracy and the impartiality of any media outlet in Canada today, including the CBC. With good reason.

Do some research? Now who's doing the lecturing?

Be as cynical as you'd like, but the interviewer didn't show any bias that I could detect and had a guest from both sides on. I fail to see how that's anything but balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread