CE2 Clearomizers taste "burney"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisabateman

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
South Carolina
I bought a pack of XL 510 Clearomizers this month. The first one started out tasting "burney" but, just as I decided to give up on it, it started doing much better.

The second one I put into use started out the same way. It, however, still tastes burney, despite having liquid in it for several days. I've saturated the coil by overfilling it for a little while, but no change after the excess fluid is used up.

Is this a known issue? If so, is there a fix?

I've tried using a thinner liquid (straight pg vs vg/pg mix, but then it leaks.

These came in a black box, individually wrapped in a foil type material.

Thanks for any help.

Rolondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2010
Seattle
only used the regs but so far only one box that had funky tasting e2s - the solution for me was to rinse in hot water (these were steel), inject hot water thru the center tube from the battery end with a syringe, let dry, dry burn and fill - still vaping a couple of these 4 weeks after - have 12 boxes of these now (2.4 & 2.6 ohm) and am still using the same (8) e2s in rotation that I started with - after I run 10ml of juice thru one of these, I clean and dry burn and start over with a new juice or mix a new 10ml of the same if it's one of my faves - have run at least 4 bottles thru each one of these and they are the best - with most juices I get great flavor until the only juice left in the e2 is in the wicking - from the start I've always removed all of the silicone rings and sealed with a drip tip - fill by dripping down the side, no syringe - don't give up on these - when you get this down, you'll love 'em - for what it's worth, the only filler cartos I use are Boge (3 ohm) and dual-coil on a 6v v3 - just received a box of 3.6 ohm clears for the v3, haven't tried them yet - good luck!
I bought a pack of XL 510 Clearomizers this month. The first one started out tasting "burney" but, just as I decided to give up on it, it started doing much better.

The second one I put into use started out the same way. It, however, still tastes burney, despite having liquid in it for several days. I've saturated the coil by overfilling it for a little while, but no change after the excess fluid is used up.

Is this a known issue? If so, is there a fix?

I've tried using a thinner liquid (straight pg vs vg/pg mix, but then it leaks.

These came in a black box, individually wrapped in a foil type material.

Thanks for any help.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT
Cleaning them fairly regularly does make them perform and taste better. The newest edition (5), doesn't have as many of the same problems with leaking, it sounds like you might have edition 4. Madvapes has E5 in stock at a good price. Also, the ohm rating could be less than optimal for what you're vaping. Honestly I'm a little confused about the ohms myself, not sure if I need to go up from 2.4-2.6 to a higher ohm, or a lower one. I've never had the burny taste using a fresh new clearo, and don't clean them before use, but I do get a strongish, concentrated taste after I've ran 1-2 fills of juice through them (and occasionally if I hit them too often, dry the wick and get a dry burn taste), so I tend to clean them after every 1 or 2 fills. For me that isn't a big deal, I'm not a heavy vapor, so that's like once a day.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Its a known issue. That burnt tire taste is why I call the failomizers

And when my Dualie starts tasting like a dirty sock (and they do, at least once a day if I'm not constanty topping them with juice), I pretty much have to throw it away after a day or so of use. So I guess these are a fail too.

At least with a Failomizer you can give it a shake, wash, or burn...and use it for another week ;)

OK, if you're getting dry hits on a CE2 here's a few things that can help.

1. Shake it up a little...particularly if it sat a while unused. See...oxidation can form on the surface of the liquid that touches air and slow down or even stop good wicking. Shaking it up can help break some of that film.

2. Warm the whole carto...in your hands...with a few burns, etc. E-liquid flows better when it's warm.

3. If you like long slow draws...consider getting higher resistance ones next time. I like the low resistance ones, but I take quick hot hits...hence never get the dry hits.

4. Pull the bottom most silicon plug up so there's a little more room around the wicks to let thicker juices by. Some folks even pull it out and flip it upside down (the upside down does leave two gaps over the wicks that can leak), or just leave it out all together...only using the middle washer-like ring.

5. Several mods can be done...a little more involved but none are terrible difficult...and you only have to do it 'once' and you're set for many hours of trouble free vaping.

a. In the bottom silicon ring, Cut the grooves a little bigger that surround the wicks.

b. Pull the silicon rings out all together...optionally replace with a bit of filler of your choice...PTB, or a bit of fluvol from one of your old carts/cartos works well. Keep the middle ring when you need the CE2 to be leak free and portable.

c. Cut the black shrink wrap jacket so that it stops right at the bottom of the bowl. That gives the wicks a little more room.

d. Tuck some long strips of pyramid tea bag material between the wicks and the outer sleeve. Some folks even snip the origional wicks much shorter with this mod.

Good news in the latest Revisions of the CE2...

1. They come with more 'optional' bits if you'd like to pull out the silicon rings totally and replace them with a bit of filler material instead (lets in more air and stops leaking if turned on side or upside down).

2. The black shrinkwrap around the bowl doesn't go as high up the bowl...so the wicks are less likely to get pinched off between that and the outer sleeve. Yep...lots of people were trimming that away with a box cutter as a mod before...

3. The wicks are longer...they reach all the way to the bottom of the carto.

4. They come with metal needles now instead of those flimsy nylon things...and word has it that in the future they'll ship with a kind of pipette instead.

Last edited:

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
When new, soak them in hot water (with all three seals removed) to remove manufacturing smells.

100% VG may cause wicking problem, so try using PG 70:30 VG

Drawing for 2-4 seconds is sufficient. Longer is not necessary and may cause dry burning.

Higher ohms such as 3.0ohm may also help especially if you have a powerful battery.

Don't vape with batteries higher than 3.7v

Use clear liquids, dark liquids tend to clog up the coil very easily.

When refilling, let it sit for at least a minute so the liquid can wick up to the top.

Ensure you insert the inner/lower seal properly by aligning the slits to where the wick extends out.

After all that, they work fine :p

Debian Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
VA
XoomFAQ.com
Drawing for 2-4 seconds is sufficient. Longer is not necessary and may cause dry burning.

Then these will never be for me. I love looooong draws. i just counted off a few pulls from my GoGo and it is 8-10 seconds per. Maybe smoked too many bongs in my youth or something? I dunno... but a 4 second pull on a 510 is "weak sauce" for me.

I guess this solution will never work for my needs. :(

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I did see a video of the new CE2-X ones so I have some hope but it would be nice to buy something that is "ready to go" and "works" out of the box. They get ONE more chance with me.

I hold mine inverted for a 5 count before pulling. Seems to help.

I hear ya...I've never had to do any of those mods...
With some of the older ones I'd always crack them open and torch the wicks real good....
But from Rev 5 on....I've not had any problems....

I got lucky with the liquids I like I guess. I just fill them outta the box and vape :)
I do run mine on the hot side...but with short puffs straight to the lungs...like I did analogue ciggies. Since I'm not pulling long drags...I never get wicking issues or dry hits.

Unfortunately...anything that uses wicks instead of filler will probably require adjustments to work with different liquids. Or it's gonna need at least one piece of 'filler' material or expensive 'metal mesh' somewhere in it. It won't matter who makes it.

I've always thought there were things that could be done to make it easier for the user to make said adjustments...and maybe someday that will happen. The key is...juices are just different from one batch to the next...so to work with a wick...things have to be tweaked a little for 'leak free' performance.

I've never liked the plastic they use on the clearos...evidently they HAVE to use that stuff...probably a government thing...or maybe some kind of contract...it's been made clear that the material is gonna stay.

What keeps me buying them, besides the great flavor...is how bloody long they last.

Last edited:

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Then these will never be for me. I love looooong draws. i just counted off a few pulls from my GoGo and it is 8-10 seconds per. Maybe smoked too many bongs in my youth or something? I dunno... but a 4 second pull on a 510 is "weak sauce" for me.

CE2's perform much better than standard carto's so you only need to vape them 2-4 seconds instead of 4-8 seconds.

But if you really wanna vape them for longer, you need to hold the carto horizontally or pointing upwards so the juice is always in contact with the cup area.
Just tried it then for 8 seconds and it worked fine. Made me cough though.. too much for me :p

...thats with the metal ones, the clear ones dont seem to vape as well.

Debian Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
VA
XoomFAQ.com
But if you really wanna vape them for longer, you need to hold the carto horizontally or pointing upwards so the juice is always in contact with the cup area. Just tried it then for 8 seconds and it worked fine. Made me cough though.. too much for me :p

...thats with the metal ones, the clear ones dont seem to vape as well.

LOL don't kill yourself ;) Yep I found out the same thing. Cool! Next order will be the metal ones plus the curiosity in me wants to try the next new thing.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS

You might like the 801 atty....
Long tight draw that's a bit on the cool side...and the carts hold a decent amount of juice. They got the bridge right on these so they actually work pretty dern good with carts...comperable to alot of the cartos out there.

Dualies are good for long draws if you have the batteries for them....just be prepared to start getting your juice in bulk and carrying an extra battery or two...they go through it all twice as fast ;)

Latest rev of the Gianotmizers are kicking too...a bit pricey tho'...

Keep an eye on the Turbine tanks as well. When you get one of these that's working right...it's one heck of a fine vape (feels nothing like an eGo T). I've only owned one...works perfectly and am really enjoying it. Loose draw, but you can pull it as long as you want :)

Last edited:

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
LOL don't kill yourself ;) Yep I found out the same thing. Cool! Next order will be the metal ones plus the curiosity in me wants to try the next new thing.

I must admit there is a learning curve with these things, but once you figure out how to use them properly, they are brilliant.
There is no way I can go back to standard carto's and atties, they just dont cut the mustard.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Oh, Giantomizers are much improved and back in stock at a few places now.

Loving the one I'm rocking right now. It's metered in at 2.8 Ohms. I'm running it cool at 3.7v at present.

Any length draw I like, no hints of burn :)

They get a new one piece whistle tip type mouthpiece now.
The inner clear tank is higher so it shouldn't ever leak out the window like the last ones did.
The top gasket thing is reworked (better air flow).

Pull the MP, fill with syringe or needle tipped bottle/pipett, pop it back on, and vape city ;)

Last edited:

haft2doit

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
erie, PA
I have only been able to use these out of the box with the ce2-x with fat wicks. I still take the fill plug out (the one with two fill holes) and put it in upside down. This takes all pressure off the wicks and lets juice flow much better. There will be space for juice to leak a little but the hits won't be burnt. Holding at an upward angle helps too. These work great depending on how much fussing you're willing to do. I like them

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
I have only been able to use these out of the box with the ce2-x with fat wicks. I still take the fill plug out (the one with two fill holes) and put it in upside down. This takes all pressure off the wicks and lets juice flow much better. There will be space for juice to leak a little but the hits won't be burnt. Holding at an upward angle helps too. These work great depending on how much fussing you're willing to do. I like them

With the inner seal upside down, do they leak if you store them in your pocket or container?

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
With the inner seal upside down, do they leak if you store them in your pocket or container?

They can if left on their side or turned upside down for a time...because there will be two gaps above each wick about the size of a pencil lead.

You can plug these gaps with a bit of filler. I.E. pull some filler out of a dead carto or cart and clean it up good then wrap a bit around the ceramic bowl where the bottom ring would otherwise be...or you could make some plugs of some sort from an old carto condom...etc. If you do make leakstops of some sort just be careful not to duplicate the problem you pulled the original ring off for in the first place.

In this case, rather than flip the bottom seal upside down and put it back in...I'd probably just get rid of it and use the middle ring instead.

Most likely all one really needs is to simply lift the bottom ring in tiny amounts to leave a little larger gap around the wicks. Not as likely to leak this way.

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Yep I'm keen on trying those Giantomizers.

I have a 510 cap on my GGTB, would the Giant work ok? Or do you need to use their Ego ecig specifically?

They are designed to fit the eGo battery like Mega and eGo T atties, but I'd imagine that they'll go on the GGTB with an extension or two. Most PV supply shops can set you up with a 510>510 extension piece designed for this purpose. If you want a little more lift, you can always bridge adapters together or use a gooseneck.

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
My CE2's tend to leak even when the inner seal is placed properly (when the weather is warm mostly) and those rubber caps actually cause more leaking (due to air pressure changes I guess), so maybe it's not a good idea to rearrange the seals.
The main problem is that it's difficult to realign the seal so it doesn't burn on the wick and cause a rubbery taste, so perhaps cutting diagonals off the existing gaps so they flare away from the wick will work, and also make them easier to remove for refilling. I'll give it a try..

Most of my batteries are KR808, so a KR808->510 Adapter may provide compatibility with the Giantomizer.
Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread