Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I think a little photo challenge may be fun... So most can play, let's limit this to only photo's taken with a cell phone, smart phone or tablet... ( the cell phone is not going to be a great candidate but I don't want to exclude them either )

Smart/Cell/Tablet Phone Moon Photo Challenge

I can only think of one additional rule besides the photo must be from a cell/smart phone or a tablet ( which is basically a large smart phone without the ability to make a standard phone call ).... No lens attachments, telescopes or additions to the built in lens can be used.

The challenge runs until 2016 Aug 19th ( the last day Yimmie is open )... it starts now...

You can make as many entries as you wish... The prize... just braggin rights :)

Some tips, most of which I learned about by taking shots with an actual DSLR camera....

1. Use a tripod or other device to help stabilize the picture. You can get a decent shot in the daytime without one but at night it's trickier... so mounting to a tripod, a cell phone window mount or whatever you can think of will make it much easier to do any focusing or exposure changes your photo program on your phone or tablet has available.

2. There are photo enhancement apps that most of the smartphones or tablets can use... You can use these to tweak the contrast, sharpness or other photo attributes if you wish. You can also crop with these types of programs that will help make the shot appear larger than if you left it at the full pic resolution.

3. The fuller the Moon is... the better chance you have at getting a good shot... BUT... if you take the picture when the Moon isn't quite as full... you get the advantage of having shadows in the craters, this will make a perfectly focused pic look even sharper if you can get a good shot to start with.

4. Turn down the exposure when you are taking the pic. Most of the better camera software's has an option to adjust the exposure. The Moon is already plenty bright and if you don't dim it down some, it will often just wash out all of the details. So decrease the exposure some so your pic has a better contrast to start with.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
so i'm guessing I would be able to use a selfie??? :D:lol::lol::lol::w00t:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the fly rule's addition/change/update... NO... :D

It must be of the Moon which is a natural satellite of Earth... and it must be taken live with the device being used... no pic's of a pic of the Moon

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the fly rule's addition/change/update... NO... :D

It must be of the Moon which is a natural satellite of Earth... and it must be taken live with the device being used... no pic's of a pic of the Moon
well it was worth a shot (pun intended)

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I guess I'll start this out... I had clouds moving in so I didn't wait for sunset...

Taken on a Motorola Turbo 2

I've played with the contrast some and cropped it down since we don't need a full size pic for this...

I'm glad I'll get more attempts, but it's a place to start it off...

IMG_20160810_194250-1.jpg

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Moonie... I don't think you can fix that shot from the looks of it... it's too overexposed and had blown out the "whites". The focus is pretty good though for a smartphone... so the first step is covered good.

Drop the exposure time and if the app you are using has it... the ISO sensitivity. The camera sensors can retain a lot of info but once you exceed the whitest value ( 255 ) or the blackest value ( 0 ) any info beyond that is lost and can not be teased back out of the data.

Let me reword that... since in this case the blacks aren't important and we aren't looking for more detail there.. ignore them in this case. It's the white areas you want more detail... the problem here is that all of the white across the Moon itself is all at the max value already... so there are no shadows left to recover by decreasing the brightness, they will all get dimmer the same amount together.

Reactions: MoonLit_Water

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
thats was just the camera that came with the phone, there are adjustments that can be made,
but i never really messed with them, and not all that sure what they are to be honest.

but on that shot there was a little slidey thing that popped up and adjust that to one of the max settings made the "graininess" ?? in the view finder go away, so thats when i snapped the picture

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Yeah... the software app that came with my phone didn't do very well either. I actually found an even better one than what I used yesterday evening... It's an Android 5+ ( or newer ) only app called "A Better Camera" of all things.... It even was able to take a relatively decent shot in a dimly lit room last night... Of course that is different than trying to get a good Moon shot which is both a very dark background contrasted with a very bright object.... which makes this a challenging task that I hope everyone enjoys playing with.

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
I think if ya gonna do a comtest wiff a cell phone, you should JUST use the cell phone. NO "playing" with the contrast or any touch up at all. Manipulatin dem to look better gibes an unfair advantage to anyone else who wants to try but is not "well practiced" in "supposedly" making the pics look "better" :unsure:

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Manipulatin dem to look better gibes an unfair advantage to anyone else who wants to try but is not "well practiced" in "supposedly" making the pics look "better"

That is actually not entirely true... but it has been a subject that is often debated in photography circles. Ansel Adams is a well known photographer from back in the day... his photo's are ( arguably mind you ) some of the best examples of why adjusting contrast and exposure settings IS accepted practice by the majority of professional photographers.

Anyway... what I referred to with the camera apps... adjusting the exposure, contrast, ISO settings and all of that... must be done if you want a good photo. These adjustments are "in camera" ... If someone doesn't want to make further adjustments with a photo software after the fact... they may choose to do so but I'm not going to restrict something I feel is an important step in producing a good picture. Most of the changes once were done in the dark room... using software is no different in that respect, it's simply a different medium that produces the same result.

Here is one of many examples that Ansel took and produced by changing contrast and exposure... If you see a pic of a national park and it's in B&W... chances are good that it is one of his. His work is one of the gold standards other photographers try to mimic.

5010117-U-2.jpg

Last edited:

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I'm really just a point & shot type of guy. if it comes out good i'm happy. If not i say "awe shucks" and move along.

I want to get me a good point and shoot camera with zoom for those times when the smartphone isn't good enough but a DSLR isn't really needed either. I obviously love the art of photography... but sometimes simple just works

Sunray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2011
Tiger Town, Ala
It is cloudy here so the moon is surrounded by clouds. I am posting this mainly because I took several shots and the white area to the right was on all of them. Is it some sort of light refraction? I did not see it with the necked eye.

Attachments

• Moooon.jpg
    Moooon.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 38

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
It is cloudy here so the moon is surrounded by clouds. I am posting this mainly because I took several shots and the white area to the right was on all of them. Is it some sort of light refraction? I did not see it with the necked eye.

That's just a lens flare... ie glare off of the Moon on the inside lenses.

I also got those on my DSLR tonight while trying to get a working shot of the Moon with Saturn and Mars in the pic... two of the brighter "stars" you may have seen close by the Moon... I didn't get that shot but didn't expect to either, either the Moon is blown out and you see the planets, or you don't see the planets and the Moon is still overexposed... I just settled on yet another pic of the Moon in the end.

Sunray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2011
Tiger Town, Ala
Well this is the last day for this exercise and my skys are still full of clouds so I will not be able to get any more pictures of the moon but I will continue this exercise. I gave my DSLR to my son to use as his point and shoot. He have a more advanced set up with all that goes with it. I have a point and shoot with zoom which I seldom use now, which is why I gave him
the DSLR.

Reactions: rdsok

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Well this is the last day for this exercise and my skys are still full of clouds so I will not be able to get any more pictures of the moon but I will continue this exercise. I gave my DSLR to my son to use as his point and shoot. He have a more advanced set up with all that goes with it. I have a point and shoot with zoom which I seldom use now, which is why I gave him
the DSLR.

It happens....

With only two people entering... I guess we'll just call it a draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread