CELLULOID DRIP TIP safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Hiya. After doing some quick google searches, I have a somewhat indefinite answer for you. I'm not sure if this is safe to vape with. It is my understanding that the term "celluloid" is used to describe a wide variety of modern plastics. Take this forum thread here, for example: What is the difference between "plastic" and "resin" or "celluloid" - Fountain & Dip Pens - First Stop
While the topic may be different, the discussion of the chemical makeup of different types of plastics is discussed.
Problem with so called "plastics" and a company listing what "type" of plastic something is made of is difficult.

Many so called "plastics" can be made differently batch to batch, mixing different polymers together in the extruders to make their own "special" blend. Because of this anything more then a generalization of the subgroup of plastic will only serve to confuse most, and not really say much about the plastic other then allow others to copy it.

2 Plastics being extruded in the same line at different times made of virtually identical components but slightly different quantities will result in 2 very different acting plastics.

Dimitri
Blade,

As others have said, plastic is a broad term. Celluloid is also a type of plastic. Celluloid is of two types: Cellulose Nitrate and Cellulose Acetate, the former is the material used in the manufacture of Gorgeous vintage pens which have a nice layered translucence but is higly inflammable, the latter is more stable (used in Modern pelikan souverans and Aurora Aurolide(?)) Platinium Japan makes some nice Cellulose Nitrate pens in the 3776 series.

Most of the resin pens are usually made of a material called PMMA (Poly methyl methacrylate).

Best,
Hari

Most likely, the drip tip you purchased is safe to vape on. The original celluloid plastic, cellulose nitrate, is difficult and expensive to produce. On the other hand, cellulose acetate is used in the manufacture of cigarette filters and is considerably less flammable and cheaper to produce. While I always advocate safety, the chances of your drip tip lighting itself on fire are slim. If it really bugs you, contact the supplier and try to get a handle on where the tips were manufactured, and exactly what type of plastic they're made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread