Changing coil when changing flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3100

Oct 7, 2014
Maryville, TN
Hey y'all! I am new to all of this, I've been vaping for two weeks now, and I have NO idea what I'm doing half the time haha I have a spinner 2, and a nautilus mini tank... And my question is, when I change from one flavor or juice to another one, do I need to change the coil also? I don't want to change from a very strong mint flavor to a cake batter flavor, and have mint flavored cake batter, lol and the other question I have is can you wash the tank, coil, and everything out? Thank you!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome KB3100!

The Nautilus can be fully disassembled to be cleaned. When changing flavors to the extent you're suggesting, you might want to swap the coil. There are a couple of YouTube videos on dry-burning the BVC coils. I tried it once with mine, and I fried the coil/filler. I haven't tried soaking in unflavored vodka (which I have done with great success with my kanger coils.) I thought I'd seen not to run under water (but the rest of the tank can be washed - just make sure you don't lose the O-rings!)

You could invest in a 2nd tank? Or, I just vape through the flavor change (but I usually don't do such extreme changes with my Nautis.)

Maybe some more sophisticated folk could chime in for you :)

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Wash the tank, definitely. It's good to wash them on a regular basis anyways. Just use warm water and dry it thoroughly (q-tips and paper towels are your best friends)

As for the coil, that depends on how many flavors you use and the types of flavors. If they are compatible, then I personally just use the same coil as is. When I use strong flavored juices, such as menthol, and I know I'll be using the same flavor again, I put the coil aside for re-use with that same flavor (you can use a small ziploc bag and write the name of the flavor on it.)

Washing out strong flavors can get a tad complicated.... they often can stick for a while even after dipping in alcohol for a day or two. My personal coil washing technique is:
-Put it in a small glass and wish it around in warm water. Empty, rinse and repeat at least 3 times.
-Let it sit in warm water for a few hours
-Put alcohol in the glass (cheap vodka is strongly recommended for this), swish it around and let sit 24-48 hours. Swish it around every now and then
-Rinse the glass and repeat step one a few times
-Let it dry on the side for about 24 hours or more.

By experience, menthol, mint, cinnamon, chestnuts and similarly strong flavors will still take a tank or two to disappear. For that reason, I use those coils with other strong flavors.

If you have the BVC coils in your Nautilus mini (extremely likely), you can also "dry burn" your coil. This is achieved by mounting only the base of the tank with the coil to your vaporizer and holding the fire button for 1-2 seconds at a time for about 5-6 shots. I suggest doing that before cleaning the coil and doing it again, but conservatively, after the cleaning process. No guarantees that will eliminate strong flavors 100%, but it will make a difference.

Cleaning and dry burning can also extend the life of a coil as they will gunk up after a while or when the taste is a little off.

Alternately, I just found a "buffer" juice that I like. It has a very neutral taste that mixes well with other tastes, so I use one tank or two of that juice until the original taste is gone. It is better to get a second tank or more to use that technique, though. I decided to forgo that whole process and I'm up to 9 tanks now as I discover too many juices in my travels to be able to spend all that much time rinsing and cleaning coils.

And welcome to the forum!

Hope this helps,
The Torch

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Thanks guys! The coils in a small Baggie is genius! Why didn't I think of that? Lol

Thanks! Just call me Torchy :D

I just thought about it... I had the idea of making a juice bottle holder out of a cheap cutting board (I made 2 actually) and had the idea of drilling a smaller hole next to each tank hole to put corresponding coils in it. Then I realized those spare coils are not spares for my main steeping vape juices, but for my occasional vapes, so I instead planned of making a separate board just for coils and putting labels on the board. The simplistic version is just plain ol' small baggies, which is so much less trouble. Dollar stores often carry very small ziploc bags, so I'll be stopping by tomorrow. Your problem was all I needed to hear to solve mine (you can't see the forest from the trees) :)

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
I disassemble and clean my tanks when changing flavors. I try to get as much of the old juice out of the wick by gently compressing a paper towel around the 4 holes on the Kanger V2 dual coils. After 5-6 draws, the old flavor is mostly gone. Switching from menthol to non menthol can cause the old taste to stick around longer. Totally a personal choice, I choose not to ditch a good coil during a flavor change.

Like the idea of keeping a coil in a zip lock bag and using it with a single flavor.

Lindamck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Bedford, TX, USA
I agree with all the cleaning advice given. My standard "rule of thumb" is bakery with bakery and fruit with fruit. In other words if I'm vaping a bakery or custard and want to start another bakery, I might do a quick rinse but maybe not. I have a tendency to mix stuff anyway and have discover some of my fav vapers through this type of mix. I usually have 3 tanks going, one fruit, one bakery and one with cinnamon bakery. Call me weird....

Ashember

Moved On
Sep 8, 2014
Atlanta, GA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread