channel 9 NJ 4/1/09 news clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I know the prices are high but they genuinely reflect our total cost per sale. We haven't had success with our customers buying other types of e-cigs than what we sell now. The Screwdriver looks like a fine piece for an advanced and tech-savvy vapor. Right now that's a different type of customer for us. We probably couldn't compete on the price for it at the end of the day. Unless we start to make some money and can afford to expand while passing on savings to our customer base.

We have some other ideas and do plan to offer some deep discounts as soon as we can. We have to keep an eye on our sales trends in this volatile situation, but if things move as they are for us right now, we will have some very attractive programs and pricing.

I can understand that every supplier has different "cost/profit" margins to live with. I would think, however, that since US customers have grown up with the "automobile" example of selling products, that a supplier could offer different levels of essentially the same product, i.e. the Chevy Vega up to the Cadillac. My concern is if too many suppliers sell cheap e-vapes at a high cost that do not satisfy the customers due to the hassles and only average performance, you will kill the market before most customers have a chance to try a really good alternative product.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Im sorry, but I have to disagree with some of you in that I think this is just another news story about a new device that, in the end, leaves the veiwer thinking... "dumb!"
I REALLY believe that the media is slanted right from the get go when they do these reports. Yes, they give both sides. Sort of. My major problem (as stated by Lacey) is the 2 second spot where the salesman says everything IN it is FDA approved. Whats they journalists comeback? "No it isnt!" Then goes on blah blah blah. Yes they came back to it and give you a chance to figure out on your own that the salesman says "in it". But to me its another report done wrong. As soon as the salesman says that comment, the reporter could have JUST as easily went right into something like, "He's right... every ingredient in these devices has been FDA approved for human use." Then find a doctor who can come up with something better than "kids might like them". Then before you run the story, find an ACTUAL e-cig user to do an ACTUAL interview with.
I could go on about how the news can change the publics preception with their reporting, but I wont. I have emailed 4 local news channels here to do a positive report on e-cigs, I've gotten NO takers. Chances are that if my email said, " Unapproved e-cigs are attracting kids at an alarming rate, please do a story!"... all 4 would be knocking down my door for the interview. Sad.... but true.
My best,
-VP

Pete, I agree with you 100%. The reporter knew what she was going to say before she even started her research IMO. An 8th grader could do a better job reporting than 99% of local reporters. She should have picked up on what the salesman said, but her mind was made up and she could care less about balanced reporting IMO.

Since I was the one interviewed I'd like to say...

Her FDA response was wrong. I provided her with actual lab reports on the exact product we gave her to give out to my9 and Fox staff smokers. We gave her more than than one set but the only guy that commented was Adam Cousins. All the other my9 shills in the video had no cameo - they seemed pretty happy, even if it was just to get a rise out of the stunned workers.

Leaving out Frank Stearns and Nitzkin was also her choice. They picked what they wanted and basically reinforced our accepted view of the media - biased. We gave her a lot of info she chose to leave on the cutting room floor.

I disagree with the American Auto Industry model (or what it has evolved into since the cloning of Chevys, Pontiacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs) of making a car for every possible demographic market.

I think that Honda and Toyota, and even Hyundai have had it right (but even that is changing). Once I would've said BMW and Mercedes also had a good model but that has become Americanized to their detriment, IMHO. Daimler bailed out Chrysler then bailed out of that deal, and now the broke-n un-governed-mint is printing money to bail them out. I'm not saying we should have a "Volkswagen" as proposed by the Germans in 1939 - but there has to be a reasonable limit to variety (Madison avenue reads that as "individuality" - ego $elling). How can this make sense when you're continuing to lose so much revenue because of it yet you stubbornly persist to defy reality with your own hands at the same time.

You can't possibly satisy every niche and will go broke trying to satisfy everybody until you can sustain it.

We tried many devices until we had success with this one. The customers like it and there seems to be more of this type of customer than those for say the "screwdriver" or even the 901 types, even the high end ones which are very well engineered.

Also we need to see valid patents, test reports, licensing and certifiates before we move with any product. There are very few manufacturers that can provide that.

The business we have costs a lot of money and takes time to build properly to sustain it on all fronts, especially with all the daily ambushes from manufacturers, the broke-n un-governed-mint and looming threats from Big Tobacco and Pharma.

You can run a risky business out of your bedroom or kitchen and give a good price, make a few dollars but I haven't seen that working in the long run for you or your customers.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
esmok-e, good points. I am glad you gave the reporter all the information. And yes it just reenforces my opinion that her mind was made up before she did one bit of research. I'm really sick of biased media. Since you are in NY, I wish you could get in touch with John Stossel, who does the 20/20 "Give Me a Break" segments. My gut tells me he would be fair and on the side of electronic vaporizers.

I haven't tried your product so I can not say it isn't very good. My experience with the 901, 801 and screwdriver tells me the screwdriver is far superior. I think any well made manual switch device will be better than an automatic switch device. There needs to be a way to heat up the atomizer more, longer and stronger battery life and no leakage into the battery compartment. A screwdriver type device does this and thus makes a more enjoyable vaping experience. My point was why couldn't you offer both types. But I understand what you mean about the road blocks in this business if you are trying to do more than run it out of your house. If the industry survives, then better devices need to be manufactured.

I hope you stay on the forum and keep us informed about issues from a suppliers point of view.

wv2win, thank you for your kind remarks. And what you say is true. I am a great fan of a well engineered e-cig and I would use the screwdriver myself. Now I think you are right. If it fits the quality profile, absolutely. I'd need to cover my costs at least and see how it goes. I could interface with the customer instead of the manufacturer for support if that's an added value to any good device. I can't say that what I sell is an Aston-Martin, I could envision it though - I think the baseline product should be of that caliber. Even the current good products remind me of the early seventies Toyota: reliable, economical, efficient and did the job. We should be at least like a Honda.

What if the Pharms, Tobacco, Japanese, whoever - whoever has the resources deliver it on a silver platter all wrapped up in a bow - tested and certified and studied up the gazoo?

We know this "thing" is the most compelling solution by far to the whole sorry story of cigarettes and cigarette addiction. This is the entire intention: safer and healthier. At least 100% safer and healthier. It's not about glamor at all. How glamourous are lethal diseases? The money aspect is appealing - and with the economical benefits to the cost of healthcare (taking a big bite out of the profits to the healthcare industry including pharmaceuticals). Ouch. Should I feel sorry for them?

OK. Let's say that it's still only theoretical. Needs more work. Where's the proof that so far so good? Unless there has been some broke-n un-governed-mint corporate funding paying scientific experts in P and T as consultants to put together "the comprehensive study" or already did that. If that's not a third party and is P & T. That's TNT. Checkmate or a war starts.

In any case there is proof and more coming. Does anyone have the total picture? It's new but so far so good. It looks really good. It may need the FDA but it will also need the FTC. They've literally gotten away with murder for so many years as the courts will attest to, why should they now get rewarded for it. Waxman, are you listening - you need an amendment or two? Listen to us and help us out - right now, we are the proof.

In the end, I hope this device will one day become obsolete, but I think that is a long way off. As for the cigarette, that should have died a well deserved death a long time ago. It's time for it's somewhat macabre and ironic capital punishment. And we are already achieving that individually with those 100% safer things we're holding in our hands and inhaling.

PS I might be enthusiastic about the issues but I'm wary of approaching John Stoessel not because I don't think he's fair - but I'm in the business now, so it looks like a publicity stunt. My9 called us. I'm ok with that. I think he should visit a seminar that maybe we can put together of users. Could it have a vendor's section? Maybe they can sponsor it but be in a completely separate area. It cannot be a trade show. Vendors don't speak there. Only credentialed experts and experienced users.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread