Charger/battery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhenon

Jan 9, 2014
Philippines
Hi guys, I have problems with my batteries, after fully charging them, they only rate at around 3.7 volts on the multimeter. Problem is I tried to use them and they always die after an hour of vaping. I vape at 1.5 ohms and i use the following batteries:

1. Efest IMR 18650 3.7 2000mAh -and I have three of them and I have to cycle on them just to vape for a day!

Another problem is, when I charge them after noting that the vape quality is diminishing, they only charge for about 30 minutes tops and the green light shows up! I use my multimeter and it reads around 3.7 to 3.8 volts for each battery.

This is my charger, a generic crap since I am waiting for my Xtar Wp2 to arrive.

a.jpg

Specs are:

input: 100-240VAC
47-63Hz

Output: 3.7V/500mA

I need some help to determine if which one is at fault. Is it my batteries or charger.

meisnick

Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
For your charger if the specs are 3.7V/500mA its simply not going to charge the battery and is not charging the battery after you pull a 18650 off the charger and its @ 100% it should read about 4.2V. the fact that that charger only even outputs 3.7 means it will not charge it a charger has to output more than what the battery is taking in to charge it. I think once you get that new charger you will have much better luck, if you ever need more batteries I would definitely recommend you look at Panasonic's I have been using them for 3 years now and there fantastic.

21HteKm7XqL.jpg

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

Have you been checking them with a meter all along? The reason I'm asking is I have got more than one of those single cell chargers in kits and two of them were overcharging batteries in the 4.26 volt range. If the batteries were damaged by overcharging... that's one kind of end result you can get out of it.

Since that's a multi voltage type charger you may be in "luck" and it's now somehow managing to interpret the Li-On's as NiMh batteries instead and gearing down the charge voltage, thinking the Li-On's are something else.

Can you rig up a battery and your meter in series to see what kind of voltage the charger is putting out? That's the only way you can tell what it's doing at this point.

Good choice on the WPII 2 - I hope you get it really soon!

meisnick

Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
To the best of my knowledge they are protected, but like Rickajho said anything with any kind of actual circuitry has protection built in. I have had much more issue with the unbranded batteries that come with starter kits I had one short out a mvari stick after 1 puff it went super critical and pretty much melted the contact spring in the bottom.

Zhenon

Jan 9, 2014
Philippines
Hi, thanks for the responses, something weird happened.

I tried this:

After the "fully" charging, the batteries were rated 3.7 volts in the the multimeter (no surprise there).
Seeing as I don't want to damage or further damage them, I did not drew even a single puff from them.
After a couple of minutes, I put the battery back in the charger and to my surprise, the red light is still ticking even until now, even though it was "fully" charged a while ago.

I find this weird since I these bats are mint and rated 4.2 by My own multimeter back in the shop a few days ago. Good guys over there let me charge these bats after purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread