Status
Not open for further replies.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
Everything was right in my vapeing world until I decided to buy an ego mini. Let me give a bit of background. I have been using a 3.7v- 900mah ego type ecig for a bit over a year and a half. Perfectly happy but was just in the mood for a new toy. So I am looking to buy a ego mini kit and most don't come with a wall charger, just the usb charger. I want the wall charger. I saw several posts warning about using anything over 500ma, while other have ego 1000ma devices and say they use the same charger on the mini. So just out of curiosity I look at the wall and USB charger I received with my existing PV......The wall charger says 800ma and the USB charger that I plug into it says 100ma. I don't get it? Can I use my existing charger on an ego mini (350 or 450ma)?
signed,
electrically challenged

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but I will try to extrapolate.

There are 2 readings on the wall wart input and output. e.g. input 110-240V output 5V 500mA it is the latter reading that is important.

Now on my USB its states input 5V 500mA output 4.2V 420mA once again the latter figure is the important one this charger is safe to charge any battery with a 420mAh capacity or better. It cannot charge 510 batteries perse (180 or 220 mAh)

All this being said... the charger for 510 batteries states input 5V 500mA output 4.2V 150mA, that charger is safe for eGo minis which have a 350mAh capacity, as the charging rate is below the Ah rating of the battery e.g 150mA for a 350mAh battery.

Not all wall warts are created equal, I have some that were designed to be used with a direct PT, they are rated as 110V input 5V output but 2A (2000mA) I would not use this wall adapter to plug in a USB charger as this particular wall adapter's output is higher than the USB chargers specification for input, which in my case states 5V 500mA.

I hope I got this right and was able to clarify a few things for you :)

ETA: The aforementioned specifications are for Joyetech chargers.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Just keep in mind the 'wall charger' is NOT a charger, it's a dumb power supply. Nothing more. It is used to power the actual charger, whether it be a standalone or in-built like in the eGo USB Battery (often erroneously called a PT).

Not to disagree with Switched, but with "input 5V 500mA output 4.2V 420mA", the input may well be the minimum mA needed for the charger to work at a 420mA output.

From one of MadVape's knock-off eGo chargers.
If used with an AC adapter, requires at least 5 volt, 500mA

A real charger should provide the correct output regardless of the input current (as long as the minmum is met). But with these chintzy things who knows. :)

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
O.K. so I took another look at my AC/DC Adapter (dump power supply) and here is what the label says:
Input 100-240V AC 50/60Hz
Output DC5V 800mA

On the USB "charger" that I plug into the wall adapter it says:
Input DC5V
Output DC4.2v 100mA

The PV I have now is a 3.7-4.2v(?) 900mA
Aren't the mini ego 350 or 450mA PV's a 4.2v devise as well?
Will my existing a/c adapter and USB charger work on either of the mini's?
Thanks guys....
changing a light bulb is the extent of my electrical knowledge.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Input DC5V
Output DC4.2v 100mA
You sure the output of the charger is that low?

FWIW MadVapes sells a mini 350mAh ego.

Black eGo Battery, 350mAh

Compact and easy to carry. They will charge with a standard 420mAh eGo charger or a regular 200mAh 510 charger.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
O.K. so I took another look at my AC/DC Adapter (dump power supply) and here is what the label says:
Input 100-240V AC 50/60Hz
Output DC5V 800mA

Input DC5V
Output DC4.2v 100mA

The PV I have now is a 3.7-4.2v(?) 900mA
Aren't the mini ego 350 or 450mA PV's a 4.2v devise as well?
Will my existing a/c adapter and USB charger work on either of the mini's?
Thanks guys....
changing a light bulb is the extent of my electrical knowledge.

You sure the output of the charger is that low?

FWIW MadVapes sells a mini 350mAh ego.

Black eGo Battery, 350mAh

Sounds to me that charger is for Std 510 batteries.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
This is the charger I got with my kit....X-Power 900mA and i have used it for over a year and a half with no problems. The thread pattern on the X-Power is a 301 not 510 so i will need to get a charger that fits the mini, now its a question of whether i can plug that charger into my existing AC/DC adapter? Sorry for all the confusion on my part!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread